too many sub-lines - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KA, Oct 18, 2006.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    do you guys think, with the multiple sub-lines were having, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

good thing - it creates diversity for TFs on the retail shelves. variety gives laymen the impression of fresh products.

bad thing - its diluting the brand. titanium and SWTF, while good on their merit, do not hold up to the main line. are these lines wasting resources where it couldve been spent in the main line?

(e.g. its great to see WW characters and magnus with standalone alt mode in the titanium line, but wouldnt it be nice if they had consistent engineering like the main line?)

deeeeeeeescus.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's kind of a double edged sword...I agree with both your good and bad points honestly. I do really like the fact so many different sublines give fans of all ages something to collect.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I generally loathe when there are like 5 lines going at once. However I make an exception with Titanium, because for all intents and purposes Hasbro "licensed out" to Galoob(much like licensing out to Playskool). I'm really glad Universe is dead, and with Alternators almost gone, that pretty much leaves Classics. SWTF is just Star Wars characters with transforming qualities.

4. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I think it's great that we fans have so many options in the TF product that's out there. I've seen people post things like, "Thank god for Alternators because I really don't like Cybertron" or similar sentiments, and it's good that there's something for everyone. I'm more afraid of the day if/when we collapse back down to one line, and you'll have to take it or leave it (like in the Beast Wars days).

I also think that it's pretty impressive that we have so many sub-lines when Transformers doesn't really have a big media push like a big-budget movie (yet) or a cartoon that airs on a consistent basis, or a slew of video games, etc. A franchise like Star Wars has stuff like that, so you'd expect their toyline to be pretty big. But with Transformers, the toys more or less have to sell themselves, and seem to be doing a pretty good job of it right now :) 

5. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I kinda pick and choose the lines i'm going to collected, so I like having multiple to pick from. I think they have enough resources and idea to be able to dish out all this lines.

6. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I don't mind unless it takes away from the main line. Like when all the other lines have soundwaves meaning classics cant is BS. Otherwise though it's nice to have a choice.

7. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

I personally don't mind. I'd really be into the Star War's TF line if only their robot modes didn't suck so much. Seems like a totally different design team.

Woo hoo! 100th Post!

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    As a somewhat of a completest it is hard to keep up with everything. The small titanium’s are my least fav as they are too expensive and do little for me, but I will likely get them over time. I still buy Cybertron, Classics, SWTF, 6” Tits and LOC.

9. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't count SWTF as a sub-line. Alts are done after tow more cars, so I don't count them.

To me, Titaniums are the only sub-line. And I love them.

10. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I believe that both SWTF and Titaniums are designed by different teams than the main line TFs. Pretty sure I read that on the boards here. Confirmation?

11. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I think having so many lines out at once increases the risk of burnout.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Too many things to strech my collecting budget on really. The SWTFS look like a**, and do most of the 3" and 6" Titaniums. With Alts basically over and having the whole 1st wave of classics already I guess I could spare some money for sublines, IF they are good. I'm not seeing much goodness in the Titanium line. I am basically interested in the updated G1ers except DiaperWave.

It's hard to say if it is good or bad, time will be the ultimate judge for hasbro.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    More variety is good. I'd rather have too much product than not enough.

14. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like it. More good stuff to buy.

15. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    multiple lines in this case are fine because they're all going after different collectors and audiences.

BWMutants, Dinobots, Universe, etc... kinda cannablized resources from mainline figures.

Then again, I can't help but look at massive number of Marvel figures from Spider-man, X-men, Legends, F4.... theres something for everybody.

16. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    That's true

Star WArs TFs are produced by the Star Wars team, and despite starting out as STar Wars products, Titanium has since become its own product line.

And for the record GALOOB DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE, Galoob was bought by Hasbro after SW: Episode I. For whatever reason, Hasbro has brought the Galoob and Micro Machine branding elements out of their exile for Titanium, but Hasbro is not "out sourcing" or "licensing" Transformers, it is still all done in house

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Sublines = good good good.

At least these sublines. I love 'em all. Now if only we'd see some new SWTF molds...

18. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Same here.

I don't mean to be a jerk to the completists, but I don't give a damn about buying everything, so the more sublines and toys that are out the more discerning I get to be about picking only the things I like the very best. If all we had was one or two lines I'd likely compromise more often on things I don't like as much just for the sake of buying something new.

19. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Good. I ignore the SWTFs, I'm getting most of the 6-inch Titaniums, characters and figs we wouldn't get anywhere else, we have Classics... I'm hoping at least Titaniums (but preferably Classics) will also continue during the run of the movie line, otherwise I'll have nothing to buy.

20. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd rather have the various sublines than repaints. Of all the sublines, Universe was my least favorites, as it was just a bunch of repaints. When used to bring new figures to Hasbro (Target Nemesis Prime, KB Micromaster combiners), this is fine. But in some cases, they were repainting just random toys and throwing them out there (Whirl, Tankor. Obsidian). A subline that presents older toys for a new generation already exists (Collectors Series), although the prices could be a bit more reasonable there. SWTFs, Alts, and TITs give TF fans new molds to enjoy, which is what's important to me, more than the lable on the outside of the toy. Part of the fun of buying TFs is transforming a new toy for the first time, getting to know all the ways it twists and bends, as well as all the hidden features. While I nought Universe Target Devastator, it wasn't as much fun as other toys I'd bought, simply because I had the toys already, in the form of the RID Construction team. Same with the SWTF repaints, and (to a slightly lesser extent) the Alt repaints.

To sum up: New molds good, repaints...not so much.