Too many robots!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Roook, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

ok. I finally saw the movie. I liked it. A lot more than I thought I would with all of the bad reviews. I liked it more than the first one. I'm definitely going to be buying the DVD of this and rewatching it dozens of times.

But in trying to think about what I liked and what I didn't like about the film. It came down to one thing.

TOO MANY ROBOTS

I can't believe I'm even saying that. All throughout the first one I was thinking 'more robots! more robots!'. And this one just had more of everything. But the movie was so long. And I'm left leaving the theater thinking 'wow, I wish Arcee could have had more screen time' or 'Where was Ratchet'? But at the same time, how could they really feature them? There were something like 30 robots we had no names for, or no alt forms for, who were just running around getting blown up.

This isn't a negative review. I can't wait to see this film again. It was the most over the top summer blockbuster robot film I've ever seen.

I just hope that in future viewings I'll be able to keep the multiple robots straight. I watched the first film a dozen times and loved seeing Ironhide transform and kick ass, or Starscream swoop in and transform and beat the crap out of everyone.

I really don't care about Robot number 2 who had a pillar fall on him or baby robot #8 who fell out of a sac and died.

2. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Too many robots? You are not a true Transformers fan!

;) 

3. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

I AM!

I just hated that there were so many anonymous robots. Whereas in the first film, they were actually scary. I mean when Blackout transformers it was like 'WOAH!'.

4. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    That's because you've seen them Transform now :p 

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    There can never be too many robots but I hear what you're saying.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If it were up to me, I'd have outfitted each faction with a maximum of only seven robots to allow for more screen time and character development for each.

7. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

just dont add any humans into the story and leave it as all out cybertronian brawl...

if the humans have to be in there, leave it be the NEST, Shia, Megan, John Tuturro, and Jon Voight only...F everyone else...

8. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

Problem is not having too many robots. Problem is unbalanced screentime of the robots.

9. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

This.

10. Bulkhide

Bulkhide Bulkhead + Ironhide

Totally agree.
    Personally I don't care if we get a bunch of Nameless Decepticlones in the movieverse. But I would love to see more use of Autobots being characters. One small bit of extra Ironhide & Ratchet dialogue or Sideswipe talking would have made the movie much more enjoyable for me.

11. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

I agree, on the whole, the film entertained me, but it suffered due to the multitude of characters, somewhat like 'Spidey 3', which I also loved.
    First, Arcee is terrible as a single conciousness of a group of bikes. Make her one recognisable character and have her actively participate, would have preferred her and Sideswipe going head to head with Devastator.
    Secondly, there are so many unnamed drones that look too similar.
    Thirdly, half of the 'new' bots are never addressed by name.
    As I have said before, a simple "Ravage Eject", "Look! Its Sideways!" (who was criminally underused), "Grindor! Assist us" or "Deploy Insecticons" would have been enough to not have the general audience leave with no name references unless they examined the toy range.

12. Bulkhide

This.
    Totally agree here. A simple "Ravage deploy." or "Ravage begin retrieval operation." would have added so much more to Ravage and Soundwave IMO.

13. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

this tickled my funny bone. I just think, "As opposed to the flood of other blockbuster robot films flooding the market."
    /snark

I hear what you're saying, there were lots of cannon fodder bots. I think one of the things Animated did really well that actually harked back to the G1 days was that it kept a relatively small cast of characters and was able to more fully flesh out their personalities and quirks. Making them "real" instead of just stereotypes. (<---which ironically also would've been rather G1)

sadly the movies don't really flesh out the bots very well and give them all personalities. Devastator was basically The Hulk as a robot. Devastator SMASH!!!!!! Grrrrrr!!!

14. Bulkhide

This would seem to make the G1 Green and Purple Repaint of Devs even more acceptable...LOL.

15. newguy

newguy i

Didn't we want more robots when TFTM came out?

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Because as we know, Devastator has always been renowned for his strong personality, and witty dialogue.

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm surprised more people aren't agreeing with this. There was LOTS of robot screentime, but very little of it spent on the robots we really wanted to see. The one thing I hated about the Twins wasn't that they were stupid (which they were) or ugly (which they were) or offensive (fuck it). I actually like the dumb little bastards. I hated that they dominated almost all of the robot time, and took away time from virtually all of the other characters, robot or otherwise. Likewise Wheelie. Likewise Jetfire, although I'll excuse that because they needed him for exposition. All four of those characters were fun for me, but come on.

It's like giving R2-D2 and C-3PO 80% of the screen time in a Star Wars movie--you love the characters, but it's not what you went to the movie to see. You'd get a massive case of Jedi blueballs.

18. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

That's it. You put it better than me.

There were just a few points in the movie where I was like 'oh there's that Jolt guy...cool he has electricity hands...oh he's gone' and then you don't see him for another 40 minutes. Or 'Hey it's Ratchet oh he's gone'.

It really got on my nerves when I was like 'woah Arcee is talking! she sounds just like she did in the origin...oh she's dead'.

But I can't really say they should have expanded on featuring the robots more, because they already had SO MUCH to cover in the film. So I think I'd just like less robots. I mean, the scene where they all introduce themselves in the original film, both the Autobots (what's crackin' little bitches?) and the Decepticons (All hail Megatron!) weren't my favorite parts. But when Bay said there'd be a lot more robots on film, I was hoping it meant more character development and dialogue. Not more pop ins.

Still, I loved the film. I want to go back and watch it so I can get a better look at the robots that only showed up for a second. And maybe that's what Bay was doing. :p 

19. aeligature

aeligature aka zynordar TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    And MOR MORSHOWER. A shower of Morshowers! Hell, let's chrome out Morshower and make him transform into a tanker truck full of Kill You.

20. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Yeah, I noticed that right off (mentioned it in my review, anyhow), but that was something I expected that would be happen in the long run. Hopefully by the third movie, Both the Director and the Writers will have learned how to balance the numerous characters they got on their hands now.