Too many repaints?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nemesis_Prime22, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Nemesis_Prime22

Nemesis_Prime22 Dark Emperor

Fore the Universe/Classics line, I feel there are too many repaints being used as "classics". Evac being used for Springer/Blades is an example. I know they're saving money by doing this, but I think they should have a Universe(Like the old Universe) and a Classics(Like the old Classics) as 2 different lines. I dont know why but it bugs me, because Id rather see more new toys, like Tankor, Onslaught, and Silverbolt, than all the repaints, Like Sprimger, Blades, and Roadbuster.

Anyone agree? Or am I just stupid?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally have no problem with the amount of repaints. Then again, I've NEVER had a problem with repaints. Even with the good amount of repaints, we're still getting an even better number of new molds to go with them. Now that we know not all of the Voyagers will be repaints, we can look forward to the number of new molds in that size class to grow a bit. Some of the repaints we're getting are actually really nice. The thing I think people need to realize is that not ALL of the homages can be new molds, and that there are some that if they aren't repaints, then they wouldn't get a new figure at all. That and it's not like anybody is forcing people to buy every single figure made in the line.

Edit: Not including Legends, Robot Heroes, Minicons, and the Reissue of Optimus Prime, we're so far getting 16 brand new molds, 13 repaints of those new molds and older molds, 2 retools/repaints of those new molds (Silverstreak and Sideswipe), and 2 reissues of past molds (Unicron and Dead end). And that's only what's been confirmed so far, and withought the inclusion of Legends, Robot Heroes, and Minicons, which would not only add to the repaints numbers, but also add a decent amount to the new molds numbers.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Just do what I do and don't count the repaints as Classics. Problem solved.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yup. The Blades I picked up today is going to go with my CYB/GF collection.

5. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as they produce a reasonable amount of new molds for Classics (which IMO they are) then I don't care how many repaints they have. I'm a completist in terms of Classics but just because Hasbro calls the cybertron repaints as Classics doesn't mean I will. Bugs me? Not in the slightest.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    More the better I say, especially if they keep using Cybertron/GF molds.

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Don't buy them. But I really don't understand how anyone can think that Universe Blades is not a PERFECT mold choice for the character. And given how unfocused the original's colour scheme was, I'm really glad to be able to buy the mold in a far superior look.

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your not stupid but I strongly disagree with you. So far all of the repaints with the exceptions of acid storm have been contianed in the voyager pricepoint and store exclusives. Store exclusives have almost always been repaints and we know they will be switching to new molds for voyagers down the road with the 25th line.

Now if these repaints prevent us from getting a new blaster or sometihng like that down the road thats a whole different issue. So far the only problem I have is springer. Its one thing to cancel out a botcon toy like ironhide with a new mold. But last years botcon springer was great and now we got this other one coming down thats the same mold as another classics toy, blades. Normaly i would just skip it but I really want ratbat.

9. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

This.

10. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Perspective

I agree that sometimes re-paints can go a little far but then again,sometimes it makes a figure look a lot better.Case in point;Cybertron Clocker to Swerve or Transmetal Dinobot to Rapticon,(just personal opinions).

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Actually, I think Springer has a good chance of getting a new mold down the line. Seeing that both repaints have been exclusives of some kind (Botcon and Target), I think a wide release Deluxe mold is a good possibility for him, and maybe even the other two. All they'd really do is wait a while to make sure that the Deluxe and 2-pack wouldn't be on Target shelves at the same time. I'm thinking about getting the Springer vs. Ratbat 2-pack so I can not only use the Springer to make my Megatron idea, but also add Ratbat to my Decepticon's. Though the more I look at Springer, the more I want to get him to keep as-is. Hopefully we either get a new mold Megatron at some point, or another mold comes along in the Universe line that catches my eye as a better option for a Megatron kitbash. A new mold Voyager homaging Armada Megs would be perfect, imo.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I don't mind repaints these days. I've come to accept that repaints are the norm for the toy industry.Plus, less toys that I have to buy.

13. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    None of the comic two packs are technically classics anyway, one is labeled as GENERATION 1 SERIES (like the 25th Prime package), and the other is labeled as WAR WITHIN SERIES.
    DN

14. Nemesis_Prime22

Im pretty sure that we are getting more new molds than repaints, but in my mind it just doenst seem that way. =/

I dont mind repaints of other Classics(Starscream into Acid Storm, Sunstreaker into Sideswipe) but I think for once a nice, new Triple-Changing Springer mold would be nice.
    Also, Blaster REALLY bugs me. I can see why they would do it, but I think for Classics lines, they need to have their Alt modes be SOMETHING like the original, ya know? I mean look at Classics Megs, he turns into a gun atleast! I just think things like Springer, Soundwave, and Blaster deserve new molds, not just repaints(I know Soundwave wasn't technically a repaint(Well, okay, Kinda) but more of a reissue, which I really have no problem with, I just would like a brand new mold of him too).
    It's just, a Space ship is not even close to a stereo-tape deck(not quite sure how to describe Blasters Alt mode).
    Yeah, I know a Helicopter was ONE of Springers Alt. modes, but thats just it- One.
    Id rather not have to get 2 figures(One that is quite expensive and isnt even much like his original land form) to get even a close feeling of having Springer.

Dont get me wrong, I like some of the repaints, like Im looking forward to the Dirge vs Roadbuster pack(For Dirge, since the (what I consider) "real" classics Dirge is hard to come by aand is expensive...) and the Ratbat vs Springer(FOr Ratbat, since I like the Sideways mould).

I wouldnt mind the repaints if they were for a line that was centered around the concept(i.e. the original "Universe" line) but trying to pass them off as Classics bugs me...

Sorry, Im just ranting..

15. Nemesis_Prime22

Blades doesnt look bad, really, and neither does Springer, it's just hard when you know Springer as a Triple Changer.

16. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only buy repaints if I already like the mold enough to get another (E Skyblast, I'm a sucker for that one). Or if the new colors make an improvement (E Galvatron, C Swerve). Only exceptions are for repaints into Starscream, I have to have those.

When all is said and done I don't have to buy it.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Since you're not forced to buy them and it seems logical that they're not taking the place of original molds, but rather, supplementing the line overall, the answer is:

No.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I look at Springer like a experimental accident. While other G1 Transformers got to upgrade, when Springer tried it, he split in two, Botcon Springer and Universe Springer, each one retaining one of the former Alt Modes. Slight personality differences as well.:wink:  Maybe it was sabotage by Universe Tankor.

On topic, I don't mind repaints, but I consider it a win-win if the repaint is 1) a new character and 2) a faction change from the original.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  19. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

The original G1 repaints did not bother me much but it is getting a bit out of hand now IMO.At least in G1 there was some variation to the mold except the 3 seekers and other then that they were differant.So back then a few of the same compared to now at about 5 or more is ludicris

20. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Example, please?