too many repaints?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by helix, Aug 29, 2006.

1. helix

helix Well-Known Member

what with the latest repaint (classics "average" magnus) do you think they are over doing the repiants?

i dont mind a few but it just seems they are repainting toys for the sake of it.

like cybertron jet fire into sky shadow. awesome alt mode but why do it?
    he wasnt a spy in the show so why change him to be all of a sudden.

could this all have a negative effect on sales with people tired of seeing endless version of the same toy?
    (collectors aside as i dont think they make the biggest % in sales)

if parents ae buying the kid a toy they are less likely to get them yet another version of the one they bought last month, and thus maybe go of Tf's

and i dont buy the"well it helps fill out a line/wave argument"

if they are going to do a toyline they should do it properly

and yes i do realise this has happened since G1 but i think G1 had enough molds to "dilute"/water down the effect. at this rate classics could have a really high percentage of repaints what with all the seekers car bots etc and being onyl a few waves - would 60-70% repaints really be out the question??

i know hasbro wont change as it makes them too much money at the moment but i really wish they would..

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Personally, I won't buy a repaint umnless it is either:
    a) substantially remoulded (Yes Alt Swerve, I'm looking at YOU)
    or
    b) Unbelievably good
    or
    c) part of a subgroup I collect (Primes or Bruticus repaints, for example)
    or
    d) Part of a line I intend to complete (Beast Machines, for example).
    Other than those 3 criteria, I won't touch them.

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

I think it depends on whats being repainted into what. Personally I prefer the leaders, at the very least, to have unique molds. I also hate power-up repaints. On the other hand, I like the idea of reviving molds I liked in a previous line by repainting them into something new for another line (I have quite a few Universe figures I'm very fond of, for example).

4. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I don't think Hasbro has put out enough repaints with the Cybertron line. In previous years we saw repaints of almost every toy. This time we have no Amorhide repaint, no Sideways repaint, no Scattorshot repaint, and no Evac repaint. These are all very popular molds that would have sold well as redecos IMO.

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Let's just say I'm sick of repaints for the sake of Repaints. If they make sense or have slight remolds that make them even better than the original, or just look cool (IE: Scourge (Don't Call Me Nemesis Prime)) But for fuck's sake knock off the straight Prime to Magnus repaints, make a trailer/armor for said figure and repaint as magnus fine but the white prime repaints need to stop!

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Personally I like repaints, because it gives you more choices. Don't like the color scheme of a certain toy? Wait a bit and maybe there will be a better one! Case in point, I can't stand Cybertron Clocker but love Swerve, so that's the one I bought.

Repaints also provide more fodder for kitbashers, letting you swap out different-colored parts between two identical molds (or start with a different base color if that works better for your kitbash).

So I say bring on the repaints! If I don't like the repainted version, I won't buy it, but often I like the repaints better than the original!

7. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I'm much more likely to buy a repaint if it's a new character. If it's supposed to be an "upgrade", I won't touch it unless it's REALLY good(Cryoscourge, Override GT).

8. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Collector of Transformers

Ebay:
    Being a completist, I like the repaints. But I have noticed looking through my collection that from Beast Wars to Cybertron including Botcon exclusives that Hasbro has a trend to repaint various figures to have at least three total repaints including the orginal mold. Though there may be more sometimes.

Examples

Armada Prime
    RID Car Brothers
    G1 Bruticus
    Most BW Dinobots
    Cyberjets
    Armada Demolisher
    Armada Cyclonus
    Armada Thrust
    Armada Sideswipe
    Spychangers
    BM Jetstorm

Theres plenty more

Do you think we will get another Bruticus repaint? ha ha

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Repaints for the classics line make sense, and will help expand it a lot too.

Magnus was a repainted prime. granted, he also had a unique trailer, but you get my point.

starscream had BETTER be repainted into thundercracker and skywarp. modding the wings and head to produce thrust, ramjet, and dirge would also be welcome.

If they do prowl, they can get bluestreak and smokescreen from that single mold, with some minor alterations.

bumblebee into cliffjumper is apparently being done, and it makes sense. they're very similar, although a remolded head would be very cool.

Many of G1's most popular characters were repaints. I'd have no problem if classics repeats that. anything to keep the line going.

10. racnruin

racnruin Decepticon

Yes Me Want Bruticus! :eek: 

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm just happy Hasbro passed on "Masterpiece" Magnus.

12. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I personally could do without repaints, i tell you i love Alternators but id much rather have each character a different vehical than look at my shelves and see 3 subaru impreza, and 3 dodge viper and 3 Jeep... although its the head sculpts that keep me purchasing alternators... sadly i buy 2 of each 1 in bot the other in car :/

13. skywarped

skywarped Member

i agree but more often then not you dont find out about the repaint untill after you have already bought the original. i would never have bought cybertron megatron if i knew about galvatrons color scheme. same with alot of them. you do have a choice but you dont wanna miss out on a cool figure and then find out there is a better version comming out later.

14. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but looking through the shelves again today brought to mind the repaints ideas. I wouldn't mind a good Cyb Wing Saber, Evac, Sideways, Downshift and Armorhide repaint. Now I know that many of these are shelfwarming and Classics are maybe days away, so it's not likely these will get repaints, but the molds are very good ones and are deserving of extra attention.

Wing Saber could be redone like the old school Cobra Rattler
    Evac would just look better with different colors. Ro-tor maybe?
    Sideways could be anything, but I'm thinking replace the orange with green and the black with gunmetal/silver
    Downshift could be painted to look even more like G1 Wheeljack
    Armorhide could go with the G1 Huffer look.

15. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was surprised by the lack of Cybertron repaints as well. I'm not a huge repaint fan, but there are a few on my shelves. I probably would'e bought a 'Nemesis Evac' in black. An Armorhide repaint would have been welcomed. Also, a couple more preaints from Energon would've been OK- Sharkticon, Slugslinger, and Divebomb repaints might have worked. Oh well. We complain about epaints, we complain about the lack or repaints...

-Tony!

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind repaints as long as the character really exists in the show. E.g. G1 Thundercracker and Skywarp.

17. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

repaints

Well I would never have had a Loc Seeker if not for the Sunstorm repaint in the newest wave. I never even seen any LOCS before this wave at TRU so I love repaints.

Also I did not really like the Grey on Starscream I like the yellow much better.

But like the other guy said we would have never had many of the characters if not for the original repaints.

No Frenzy/Rumble, Laserbeak/Buzzsaw, Eject/Rewind, Magnus/Prime, Seeker trio/coneheads, Red Alert/Sideswipe, Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen, Jazz/ Riccochet

Out of all of these if we only got one mold and it could only be one of them the rest of the characters would have had no toy at all.

I think it is a moot point that people still bring this up, point blank if they do not do this and made a new mold every time they would not get the money back from the mold and most likely the line would end earlier.

Also repaints, make a toy look completely different sometimes, I know sometimes there are slight resculpts but still a new coat of paint can make a huge difference.

18. SoundwaveMajor

SoundwaveMajor DarkWarLord of Insanity

buy a repaint is based on the mold, colors, and who he namded.
    exmp: passed on the energon jet fire and got the overcast.
    brought bulkhead and quickstrike on the engeron line.

19. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I think as long as there is a market for it there, why not? I dont usually buy repaints. and I hate the white prime repaints that are magnus, but I love the repaints of the seekers. So Im more then likely going to get that specific repaint. thank goodness I have family that works at a target, so I cant get the discount.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess I can't complain about repaints as I've purchsed most of them. However, I am really tired of the White Magnus sans armor. I didn't get the last eHobby Magnus. I think Hasbro has done a good job with most of the repaints. Many I like more so than the original. I also do like it better when the repaints are new characters.