Customs: Too many irons on the fire.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Cybertronian, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

I have so many projects both in my head and in progress that I find it hard to maintain some level of patience before starting something new.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/creat...bertronians-current-projects-11-2-2009-a.html <-- This page represents what I'm currently working on, or have finished enough to not worry about. (I'm happy to report that I just coated the bottom of both of Apparition's wings and that they should be cured by 8-ish tonight (Saturday).)

My latest upcoming project involves turning on of those Chinese KO Laserbeaks (the smoky colored or translucent blue one) into a prototype Autobot cassette. That, and it also throws back to both movie Night Beat 7 and Superlink's Shadowhawk, Cosmo Type. What I need on both Apparition and "Beatseeker" are labels. In Beatseeker's case, I want his "Side A" label to be in Frenzy's decal color scheme. As for the wing decals, They will be based on Laserbeak's with the , reds replaced with Blue (same blue used in tiny amounts on Laserbeak), yellows replaced with "Rainy Day" bluish-gray (RGB - 128, 152, 176), and the (original) blues replaced with a reddish orange (or orangish red; RGB - 255, 85 or 96, 0). I'll also have to cook up a smurfy shade of blue for his die-cast back plate. Lastly (and most difficult), I'd like to get some Laserbeak cannons coated in a bluish chrome, like Rosanna or Glit.

Oh well, thanks for listening to me ponder.
    -- Cybertronian.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think some of the best advice I can give here is this: know when to walk away from a project or when to just bust through until it's finished.

Sometimes, when working on a project, there's a snag hit. That can be anything from problem-solving a kitbashed part (e.g., "How do I need to do this?") or even as simple as figuring out a paint scheme. I've personally found that walking away from that project for a period of time (sometimes to grab a snack; other times to work on other things and returning months later) can be healthy.

Sometimes, I've found that a snag is hit, and I need to just work through it. If a mess-up occurs, just remove the paint and start over, or keep fiddling with the pieces for them to work.

The key here is really knowing yourself and your work well enough in order to properly determine this.

Another suggestion I have is take the piece that has the least amount of steps to completion and finish it first. "Order of operation" would be the operative idea here. This is an easy way to get out of a funk and get back on track.

I hope that helps! :) 

3. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

When I'm stuck, I just ask someone else. Sometimes even someone who doesn't know or cares about custom Transformers. They see it in a different manner. My brother helped with my Menasor project (He's in mechanical engineering though)

4. Cybertronian

On the upside, I think I finished Apparition's paint job and F.F.F. coating. The bad news is that the sanding may have made the left wing too loose for the "extra loose" thigh/wing holders I swapped in over the week. (The left wing falls out like an aerodynamic stone!) Since I have a whole box of Seeker bodies to sift through, I'll just find the next loosest left thigh hole and slip that one on.

Fateastray: your brother is in mechanical engineering? (If he builds magnetic inducer shells, or Dinobots... RUN!) J/K. I'm into Computer Engineering Tech. Unfortunately, my only version of Rad has thighs that won't stay on their T-Bar.

5. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Computer engineering over here too... (soft-more (sp?) year though...Or I think that's the US equivalent of "2nd year"....

My bro helps design medical equipment now, actually has a patent running. Pretty cool. It would be cooler if he constructed a Grimlock though :/

6. Cybertronian

Sophomore (which doesn't sound like how it's spelled).
    Congratulations on your brother's patent(s). I once had an idea in my head for a (senior project) rolling bag that remotely followed the owner around and folded down to open like G1 Ironhide's back-of-van/gun station. Unfortunately the weight of the mechanics would seriously take away from any hope of a <75lb. carry-on version.