Tony Todd...better Megatron than Weaving?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

The more I listen to Todd's Fallen voice, the more I love it.

And the more I hear Weaving's, the more I realize it's a pale imitation of Frank Welker's.

Now, since we couldn't have Welker as Megatron, would Todd have been better? His voice is certainly more menacing and resonant.

A brother is always going to sound more badass than a white guy...and I'm saying that as a very white guy.

-Prime

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, WEAVING sounds nothing like Welker's voice, and he's still better btw.

3. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Welker's Megatron voice isn't as good as it use to be, not to mention that I don't see it fitting Movie Megatron all that well. Weaving was a FAR better choice.

That being said, Tony Todd has the voice of a god, so I'm sure he could technically make any evil character sound brillaint.

4. BadJeff

BadJeff Bite my shiny metal ass!

I thought Weaving aced it. Sounded great!

5. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I prefer Weaving, honestly he makes Megatron sound the way I'd imagined.

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

weaving reminds me of nimoy as galvatron. it seems to work pretty well.

7. hellfire565

hellfire565 Auticon

Weaving still does it better.
    If Tony Todd used The Fallen's voice for Megatron it would sound like he talks while gargling flem/oil in his throat. A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G.

8. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

The Fallen's voice was awful, totally doesn't fit.

9. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Welker's voice, for the record, is still as kickass as ever. People dog on him for simple phone interviews, game voiceovers, it sounds the same as it did over twenty years ago, but without the same treatment in audio as it once had, and that's nothing detrimental.

And for the record, for all the damn comparisons that show up on Welker vs Weaving even today, Welker can pull the grinding metallic & sinister voice of Megatron out on you at a whim without assistance. Weaving had his voice altered to achieve what was heard, more so in the first film than the second. Just a thought to keep in mind, please.

As to the Fallen's voice? Eh. It sounded foreboding, evil, aged and plotting, as it should have. But that's how Todd sounds, all the time. Could have used some type of audion alteration I guess. Just wish he'd had more of a role in the film. You know, like allowing Megatron to continue to rest at the bottom of the ocean, then coming back all superpowered after o.d.ing on Allspark energy, meanwhile in "Revenge of The Fallen" you could easily have had Fallen doing everything Megs did.

And Todd's voice for Megatron? Big pass for me.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    THIS for Weaving. Originaly, I really didn't notice a difference in the first film since Megatron didn't say too much in it. In ROTF, however, the voice fit Movie Megatron like a glove IMO, Welker's voice just wouldn't work since it wouldn't sound as evil as he looked (like the Alpha from Pixar's UP, except not anywhere close as funny). I'm just happy Welker could still do his Dr. Claw voice for Soundwave, which even un-vocoded was straight up G1 goodness. I really hope Soundwave actualy does stuff on Earth for the third flm and Welker voices him again, there's still so much that can be done with Soundwave.

I also am not familar with Tony Todd's work in voice acting, but I thought The Fallen sounded perfectly evil (his "Revenge...is MINE!" phrasing was perfect IMO) and complemented Weaving's work greatly.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    It's funny - I always thought Tony Todd's natural voice already sounded like Welker's Dr. Claw voice anyway, so it was a little redundant imo to hear him voicing The Fallen while Soundwave sounded exactly like Dr. Claw. As far as the general audience is concerned, both characters could have been played by the same guy.

As for Weaving, I still think his Megatron voice sounds like just some normal guy with a bit of barely audible effects thrown on top. I'm not saying Welker should have done it instead or even could have done a better job - I just don't like Weaving's version at all and actually thought it sounded even more ridiculous in ROTF than TF1. It sounds entirely 'too human' for the kind of quasi super evil alien insectoid machine of destruction body that it's coming out of. I can't think of someone else off the top of my head who would or could have done it better - all I know is that I don't think Weaving was the right choice. Or at the very least, that they didn't distort his voice enough with various FX to make it sound more menacing.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Meg's voice was perfect this time. Weaving's Megs sounds nothing like Welkers. Todd's voice sounds more like a pale imitation of Welker's than Weaving's.

13. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Well, after playing the PC version of the Revenge of the Fallen game, I'm quite happy Welker does not voice Megatron in the movie. Truth is, it's not so much the voice is different than it was in G1 (it is, but it's barely noticeable), it's that 1. it doesn't fit movie Megs and 2. Welker's performance in the games was honestly very lackluster in terms of acting quality (I found the delivery of most of his lines laughable...which made me sad :S).

14. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I actualy laugh at the games when I hear Welker's voice coming out of that Megatron.

It just... quite doesn't do it.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    While we're on that subject, I know many people who thought Soundwave and The Fallen were the same character.

16. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Its not like you can blame 'em!

Deep voices, space-dealing, con-symbol heads... the fact that Soundwave could be easily mistaken for a term...

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I thought Weaving sounded great as Megatron, maybe different than G1 Megs, but it fits the movie version perfectly.

18. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Really? If you'd not said, I'd have never known. I thought the look and sound of the voices (not to mention location in the film) was differing enough to avoid that.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought exactly the opposite: Weaving's voice for Megatron was far more menacing than Todd's voice for the Fallen. Hell, when I first heard the Fallen speak, my first thought was "this guy is supposed to be taken seriously as a threat with that voice?". They should have gotten Keith David or Michael Dorn to do the Fallen instead of Tony Todd.

And Weaving's version of Megatron doesn't sound anything close to Welker's version of the character.

20. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    100% Agreed