Tone of the Next Series

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by ProtectronPrime, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime I don't want to set the world on fire...

Ebay:
    There's a thread for the next art style, but what about tone? What direction should the next series take overall?

• Light action/adventure, like the G1 cartoon? Largely episodic without much in the way of continuity because who has time to remember what Starscream said in Season 1 Episode 1 in order to figure out what's going on in Season 3 Episode 12?
    • Action/adventure, with continuity like Beast Wars? Where characters run around and explore utterly in a vacuum, absent any outside major outside influences (i.e. humans).
    • Brooding, dark action series like Beast Machines and Prime. I know, I know - those aren't alike storywise, but TONE-wise, it was all about SERIOUS BROODING and amazing battles and show mythology.
    • Goofy, irreverent and self referential like Transformers: Animated? Fun, but with an ongoing plot with a unique spin on the series?
    Or maybe something different altogether!

Discuss!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 You fail me yet again, Hasbro.

I'll take anything as long as it isn't childish and innocent like Rescue Bots with zero decepticons. Who thought a series about transformers without the entire point of the franchise being about a galactic scale war was a good idea...?

3. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Rescue Bots was a fantastic show and it's existence proves that Transformers doesn't always have to be about Autobots and Decepticons fighting an intergalactic war. This show had a different take on Transformers which can hopefully pave the way for other Transformers shows that could have different takes on Tranaformers. Of course that's just my opinion, and you are entitled to yours, but get the feeling you haven't even watched Rescue Bots.

On topic now, I am open to anything right now, maybe a show on Cybertron. So as for the tone, I wouldn't mind a darker/serious tone. Provided that means it has stakes and has a great combination of story and action.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Burnout00012

I won't pretend that I've watched Rescue Bots beyond a few clips here and there, but from what I know about it, I really hope it's not the direction we go in the future. I'm just a sucker for robot battles.

And the toys were pretty garbage, come on. If they were more in line with the Generations Quality it might not be so bad.

5. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Since I started it, I might as well weigh in:

I'm a huge fan of adventure series and I love continuity. I also like irreverent (black) humor. I'd love to see a show in the same vein as Starship Troopers: Roughnecks where we follow a team of Transformers (Bots, Cons, doesn't matter) as they're dropped into war zone after war zone to execute on missions on their commander's orders.

Bonus points if they're basically a bunch of losers and misfits like the guys from Battlefield: Bad Company.

6. Burnout00012

That would actually be pretty cool in my opinion, something like Last Stand of the Wreckers, perhaps? (Disclaimer, I have not read the comics.)

7. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Last Stand crossed with Lost Light, perhaps. I'm a big fan of 'Everyman vs. the World' sorts of things.
    I would totally watch a series based on the Scavengers from the comics - a bunch of loser washout cons having adventures of varying weirdness and scraping by. So Transformers: Firefly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    Can't argue about the toys. Now I can agree Transformers should have a cartoon about the Autobots and Decepticons most of the time, we could always have a spin-off liken Rescue Bots running at the same time, while the main series focuses on the Autobots and Decepticons or something along those lines.

9. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    upload_2017-7-13_15-16-23.png

10. Burnout00012

Fuck yes. Firefly being one of my all-time favorite shows, that's exactly what I want to see.

And that's kind of my point, isn't there supposed to be a second cartoon running at the same time, a Rescue Bots sequel or spin off or something? That's fine, but I'd be really pissed if we had two childish cartoons simultaneously.

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

As long as it has well fleshed out characters and a good story line, I'm fine with whatever. Something not too serious is perhaps best, since the less seriously you're meant to take it, the easier it is to overlook flaws.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I wouldn't really mind a "bigger" Rescue Bots type show without Cons. It could be the same theme, just in space. For example, Autobots part of some intergalactic rescue squad traveling across the galaxy to help aliens and whatnot with disasters. It could even be a little older-skewed (i.e. Power Rangers-like).

13. Burnout00012

See, that just doesn't work for me. Sure it might be cool to see other aliens, but the whole "disaster rescue" thing just bores me. I need my conniving villains and bot-on-bot combat.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Question for those who want a small cast helping out other aliens or scavenging across the universe: How do you introduce new TRANSFORMER characters in order to sell toys?

Here's an idea though:

It's a race against time through the galaxy for a crew of Autobots to find the Lost "McGuffin" that will save Cybertron...but only if they get there before a crew of Decepticon pirates who want the "McGuffin" to enslave the Universe!

Our heroes will have to take on new forms on each planet they encounter in order to blend in and not violate "The Prime Directive" as they search for clues to find the Lost "McGuffin"!

Featuring a new cast of Autobots in a series of alternate modes ranging from hidden beast to racing automobiles to dynamic jets, you'll never know what how each character will appear in the series next!

15. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Depends, I suppose. If it's like RID/Animated, you get a lot of guest and reoccurring guest stars.
    If it's like Prime... well, people do die. Breakdown, Skyquake, Dreadwing, Cliffjumper...

The new forms idea is a great one, though. Be a lot easier to just have one character and then sell 5 different figures of the one character kind of like He-Man in the old days (He-Man, Thunder Punch He-Man, Battle Armor He-Man, etc.).

16. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

Somewhere in between RID 201x and Animated.

17. IamaMeatRabbit

IamaMeatRabbit Well-Known Member

I hope it's something along the lines of Animated where the tone is usually light-hearted but the show still sometimes has dark moments and some kind of story arcs. There should be continuity, but the show should also be somewhat episodic so that new viewers can pick up at any episode and not be too confused.

18. FoolishDoomedCreature

FoolishDoomedCreature When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

It's funny, because RB is really similar to G1 (but RB is better IMO) but is one of the most hated series by G1 fans.

In tone, maybe something like Animated.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Burnout00012

Which makes it double ironic because I could never really get into G1 either.

20. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Honestly I would be fine if they go for a tone similar to that of Samurai Jack where it can be both cinematic and epic along with having some comical odd moments.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.