today is the 40th ann. of the realise of 'Sgt Pepper!'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dolza_Khyron, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

2. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Yeah, XPN did a special on this a few days ago and they had a panel and went through each track and discussed it. Pretty awesome stuff

3. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

listened to the album a few times myself today. Still one of the best I've ever heard.

The structure of the album itself has caught my interest recently. It seems to have the same false fade-out structure as Strawberry Fields Forever had. Consider it: in the B-side, you have the buildup with Lovely Rita, then the partially linked climax of Good Morning Good Morning and the Sgt. Pepper's Reprise. Then we seem to have a falling action of sorts in A Day In The Life, until the orchestra starts up and you see it's something else entirely.

Or I'm overthinking things. Whatever.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I've been listening to anthology for the past couple of days. I love Sgt. Peppers, but Abbey Road is their best work.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I like Sgt. Pepper's okay, but it falls about halfway down the list of their best records for me. It's good, but way, way overrated in my opinion.

6. honestgabe

honestgabe I

The Beatles have a bunch of albums that are better than Sgt. Peppers. Abbey Road, White Album, Revolver, and Rubber Soul (in this order too) are my favorites. Which isn't to say that Sgt. Peppers is like bad or anything, its good just not great

Heres the special that XPN and NPR was playing all week. Its a great 2 hour special if you have the time

Oh and for those in Philly, they're having a party/concert at World Cafe Live hosted by XPN where local bands each pick a track from Sgt. Peppers and cover it in its entirety. Its free too, so you if you're in Philly, dress up in your Sgt. Pepper outfits or mod suits and party

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Magical Mystery Tour and The White Album are my favorite Beatles albums.

The only thing I really like on Sgt, Peppers is "A Day in the Life".

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Wow. That was indeed a great album by one of the most remarkable bands of all time... but, uh... it wasn't the Beatles' last album together. That would be Abbey Road, recorded in 1969.

9. honestgabe

honestgabe I

thats not true. Abbey Road is their last record they recorded together, and Let it Be was the last the released.

10. Dolza_Khyron

huh, i heard on the radio this morning *how i learned about this* that it was their last album.?

11. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

*shudder* this reminds me of that fat chick at school who was obsessed with the beatles and wouldn't shut the hell up. Why must you remind me?!?!?!

12. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Cause some people for some reason think they are grand, more like overrated :p 

Genesis(both Peter and Phil eras) -> Beatles anyday of the friggen week, and most anything -> Beatles.

13. Dolza_Khyron

i disagree, i love the beatles. one of the few bands i like.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't expect everyone to like most of The Beatle's music, but they were innovative, revolutionary, and influential to an unusual degree for any band. They left a mark on music, and affected the evolution of modern rock and pop music. That, at least, deserves credit and respect from anyone.

15. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Pfft, Beatles are the best rock and roll band. Overrated my ass. Seriously, Phil Collin's Genesis ate balls.

Beatles were the first to have guitar feedback on a pop record, the first to have artificial double tracking, direct injection of instruments, sampling, close miking of acoustic instruments, were all first done by the Beatles. They didn't even tour and they revolutionized what a rock and roll and could do in the studio. Their musical progression has been the blueprint for bands like Radiohead or Wilco. You might not care for them, but give them credit where credits due.

16. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Beatles > Everyone else

17. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I like all their Albums, but the White is my all time fav.

18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Thought I should chime in...my first beatle record was an old 45 of Hello, Goodbye...and I have loved the beatles ever since. There is not a rock and roll band in history that can deny the Beatles influence.