Customs: Today I learned how awesome spray paints are

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by red4, Jun 28, 2009.

1. red4

red4 Banned

I've used sprays before, but on life-sized wooden props. I never used them on small-scale plastic customs until today, with bad ass results.

I used aluminum colored spray paint from Auto Zone to paint this scratch-built gun.

[​IMG]

As much as I love spray paints, I'm going to confine myself to using them only for metallic finishes. I still thoroughly enjoy brushing on weather detailing, and solid colors.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    ah yeah. sprays are great if (1) it's a decent brand and (2) if applied properly. One of the greatest "tricks" I've read about sprays is to submerge the can in hot water for a few minutes...this allows the paint to kinda warm up and it sprays a TON smoother. Also, it's important to always keep the nozzle perfectly clean. That, and when done with, always spray the can upside-down until nothing comes out to clean out the inner tube and tip.

3. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

Interesting. Those tips are good to know, thanks.

4. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Hot water? HELL NO!
    Warm water maybe, but there's a reason the cans say they're not allowed to stay in the sun. You'll get shrapnel stuck in your balls, balls!

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm curious how that works (the hot water thing).. I mean, doesn't the aerosol pressurization cool the paint when you shake the can anyway?

And yeah... how hot is "hot"? At what point does heat cause a can to explode?

zmog

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hot from the faucet. not scolding hot, just hot.

7. red4

red4 Banned

Which faucet? My kitchen faucet can generate steam-emitting hot water.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    lol you guys....
    very warm water, the kind you'd wash you hands with.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

The pressure doesn't make it cool, the drop in pressure does. Its that natural gas law PV = nRT, basically, if you drop the pressure, the temp has to drop also from its ambient temp. So if the can starst cold, it will get colder, lose pressure, and the paint won't atomize as well. Having the can warmed up from the faucet helps in the atomization of the paint and gives better coverage.

I doubt your faucet can get he paint hot enough to make it explode, but normal warm water will help

The pressure temp relationship is really visible with airbrush propellant cans, those get cold really quick and since they get cold, they lose internal pressure. Those cans are awful, I don't recommend them at all. I only use mine as a demo in my science classroom,

10. red4

red4 Banned

I wash my hands with ice.

jk

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, I try to avoid cans as well, typically if using them, I'll spray their contents into the cap then pour that into the air brush.

12. SMOG

Thanks for the info guys! I'm definitely going to try warming my sprays before using them next time.

Yeah, I've had a few of those propellant cans, and they die REALLY quick. I'm better off with my little cans, unless I need to mix my own colour, which is rare.

zmog

13. red4

red4 Banned

I learned something else today.

-DupliColor Engine Enamel with ceramic Aluminum color works excellently with primed surfaces for toy mods; dries fast enough, and is hard to scratch.
    -Testors Metallic Spray Enamels ARE SHIT. They take forever to dry, and scratch off way too easily.

I am going to stick with DupliColor Engine Enamels for metallic colors, even if it is intended for car engines.

14. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    An old Graffitti artist trick is to collect spray nozzles from various types of aerosol spray cans for diffrent effects with the paint, some air freshener (Renuzit) nozzels work better then the stock spray paint nozzels with applying paint.

15. SMOG

I think Radicons should have an entire thread devoted solely to words of wisdom like these. Tricks of the trade, as it were.

zmog