To those in the land of Snow & Ice...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, where i live, we get frost but rarely snow that sticks, so i may be out of my element asking this.

I wanna know something about people that live to the North of me in areas that get snow by the yard (like 3 feet in one night) and enough ice on the road to start a regulation hockey game.

how can you guys, why do you guys drive so fast in that snow and ice?

while me and my folks watch the Weather Channel and envy all the snow you get, we watch the footage of people skidding out of control at 50mph and wonder, how you-they- do that?

Because we get sooo little of that, when we hear about ice on the road, we can't imagine doing 25mph anywhere. it spooks us that much.

thanks for enlightening me on this one.
    and oh, drive safe up there.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well I am just reckless... Actually the roads were so bad the other day, I was doing about 35 on a road I usually do at least 70 on. But I think it was the first time I ever really gone slow. But then I started going faster because I wanted to get home quickly because the snow was getting heavier.

3. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

See the above. People are reckless, and don't like to actually take into account the condictions. I mean, if you know how to drive in the snow, you end up driving faster than someone that doesn't ever do it (I see people driving 25 mph on the highway when a storm first starts and the roads are just wet, with no ice or snow on them), but still alot slower than normal. Some people with 4wd trucks and SUVs just think they can drive like normal because they have better traction, but then they try to stop or take a corner. Doesn't work out so well.

Then again, in some situations you have to drive a bit faster than you should, like when trying to get up a hill in the snow. Back when I was driving my Camaro people going really slow up a hill used to drive me nuts, because without enough momentum to get up a hill the thing would just walk the back end sideways into the curb.

4. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

You do get used to it after a while. That being said, I do take it slowly when it's really bad.

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

In Colorado, people are the worst when it's just started to snow and ice over. Then people are really reckless, especially those with SUV's and 4x4's who think that just because they have four wheel drive, they're automatically immune to ice. There are some easy traps to fall into it - it's pretty easy to get up to speed on a straightaway, without realizing how fast you're going for the conditions, only to lose control when you try to turn or slow down; that's an easy trap to fall into that's even gotten me a few times.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because some people are idiots who don't realize that you have to slow down when the roads are bad. That's why there's so many accidents you hear on the news.

7. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

because people are stupid!!!

I came up to an intersection on my way home from work a few weeks ago, stopped at the red light, and a car when zooming from the left through the intersection facing me, completed about a 290 degree spin, and stopped with a "what just happened" look on her face.

stupid retard almost smashed into me and another car because she wanted to make the yellow light, but decided to try and stop at the last second, of course failing. we all just sat there and watched her while she sat in the middle of the intersection, then drove off on her way. thank god she never hit anyone or anything.

8. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I don't, I was hit head on by a guy in bad conditions a few years ago. With the recent Ice I was almost rear ended by a large truck then a larger car that decided the off ramp is the place to make up time since the interstate was all doing 35mph. Shortly after I had a car riding my ass as I did 12mph down a side street near my house, he was in a yard and hit a mailbox right after I turned on my street and he sped up. People in larger vehicles seem to forget it takes longer for a heavier vehicle to stop too.

People are in too much of a hurry, getting some where a few seconds faster isn't worth taking your's or some one else's life. I usually avoid going out when the weather is bad just because the majority of people aren't very good drivers.

9. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm more perturbed at the people doing 20 mph in a 50 with a light sprinkling.

10. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I may live in Oregon, where we do not get much snow. However, I lived in Colorado for 6.5 years and these are my tips for driving on snow/ice:

1. do not slam the brakes
    2. do not accelerate quickly
    3. slow down
    4. know what your car can do
    5. do not make quick decisions
    6. please do not use the cell phone while driving
    7. check your tires' thread before driving out
    8. get a snow scrapper/brush for your windshield and headlights

11. Jux

And always turn into the skid! So many people screw themselves because they don't know how to handle their car when they start to skid or fishtail. They overcompensate and then wonder why they wound up in a ditch.

12. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oops...forgot about that one and if you skid a little bit do not panic.

13. Jux

It's amazing to see how poorly some people handle it. I mean, I drive a lightweight, rear wheel drive sports car, and yet I can handle turns and skids better than some of the SUV's I see.

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nuff said...

I also blame NASCAR idiots.. They tailgate and act like traffic is a race.