Customs: To the designers out there...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, May 15, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Hmm, now that Devs is done, I have a lot more time to work on many other little projects (like those minions I've been making). But I hit the same snag over and over, and that is making the thing, y'know, detailed, and not just a bunch of shaped blocks.

Up until now, I've just been detailing at random and heavily on instinct. There a hydraulics and pneumatics and many other random things scattered here and there, graphs, dials, whatever. But this doesn't always work. There are just spots where I look at it and think "hmm, x detail doesn't belong here", or "pneumatics on his ass just don't look right" or something like that.

So my question is, if you have no art to go by, how do you decide what details go where? Are there some rules of thumb that one uses to decide? Or is it just go by what would work in real life, and anything else is an arbitrary choice?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think I'd advise you looking at other mechs. Check out some photos of some Gundams, or other robotic technology (the real deal doesn't hurt either). Google Images is your friend :) 

Check out some reference photos of other Transformers and study the details there as well.