Customs: To take apart or not to take apart (alt skids)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sarrow, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I'm planning on doing my first alternator repaint (skids). I have him about 70% apart, but it just occurred to me to ask the question...

To anyone who has repainted this guy, is it absolutely necessary to take him completely apart? Or can a decent job be done otherwise? I plan on using krylon fusion if it makes a difference. Please post if you have any advice, Thanks!

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, its according to what you have left to take apart.....just remember, what you take apart you have to put back together, and if it will effect the nice new paint job, then maybe you shouldn't.....

When I did my Alt Kab, I took him completely apart...everything I could get to come apart that is....

3. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply.........I guess the biggest thing is that I usually brush paint onto my customs and I'm not sure how the spraying is going to go. Ideally, I picture all of the pieces completely apart lying flat and then being able to be sprayed. Unfortunately, when I got into it, the amount of pins seems overwhelming. The biggest issue seems to be the doors, I'm not sure if I remove those large pins, if I'll be able to get him back together neatly and tight. Your post has made me think that maybe I should just go to a certain point and not worry about the stuff that will be a real pain to get apart.

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, the big pins in the bottom of the doors I left alone...too much trouble getting them out. In situations like these, tape is your friend, if you need to mask anything off.....other than those, I pretty much took everything else apart.

And you have the right idea too...lay them all out, paint them and let them set for seven days, (amount of time that Krylon Fusion requires for chip resistance to set in) then put it back together...and of corse, post pics :D 

I'm a Fusion user, and I have yet to be disappointed by the finish.

5. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan :)  Not sure when I'll get time to get to it, but I'll be putting free time into it now and then until it's finished. There are so many projects I'd love to get into, but I just don't have the time :( 

6. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Dude ! You should start a Krylon fusion thread ("official thread" of course) seems to be the way to go - more & more people are using it , some for the first time, there's a few things you gotta know if your using it from what I've seen (you're red Acura).
    Or at least write a book on it......:cool: 

TTT

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    When I painted an Alt Skids, I took most of it apart but didn't pop too many pins, really.

I also use fusion. I swear by that stuff!

8. bumblebee15

bumblebee15 Autobot

Hey! I am working on an Alt Skids as well! Fusion is Awesome too! Used it twice before and it really does well on a kitbash! So who are you planning on making???

9. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

I really liked the idea of Cosmos (originally done by TFmaster I believe), but I'd also like a Ratchet. Not 100% sure yet which one, but most likely one of those 2.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I generally don't mess with pins that much myself. Often times, they're more trouble then they're worth. I do try to disassemble as much as I can though. Normally, I'll remove rims though. :) 

11. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Yeah, I already took the rims off because I'll be replacing them with some other ones from an entirely different car. The pins wouldn't be bad, but some (like the ones in the doors) just seem like they'd be hard to replace correctly.