Customs: To shine, or be dirty!??!!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by encline, Jun 26, 2009.

?

Dirty bots or clean bots

1. clean and shiny

40.0%
  2. dirty and war torn

60.0%
  1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, just curious. Who likes shiny clean bots and who likes dirty bots.

And why?

I obviously love the battle look. Especially with movie bots. I know it sacrifices the clean appearance when in car mode, but mine never stay in car mode!!!

Now classics and alts.... not sure which, but I normally go with dirty. I think it adds more life to them.

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly, I prefer realism. Dirty Constructicons, sleek and shiny race cars, etc.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    personally, I think there's a balance which should be met. I don't think any Transformer's got the time nor patience to have every wire, gear and part polished....I think it's more realistic to give the bot parts lots of wear and tear, and the alt a good polish. Sorta like Michael Bay's done in the movies...did I just say that?

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I'm for weathering them myself, or in my latest completed creation Mudflap's case, slob muddy paint all over it. Usually I'd go with what frenzy_rumble said, though; shiny alt mode, weathered robot mode w/ shiny alt mode parts.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

No option for clean, matte finish?

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

I agree here, but for me I tend to like my Classics series to look more clean and factory, toonish even. The movie series figs need that touch of weathering. I've seen some figgers done up super clean Gundam-ish. That's a bit too clean for me, I'm a fan of pre and post shading though I've not got the technique down yet to my satisfaction.

7. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

Or dirty and battle worn robot modes, super shiny and polished alt modes-unless thsoe alt modes are military vehicles or construction vehicles.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Depends on the bot, really. Ironhide should be FUBAR, but Arcee? Yeah, she's a clean girl. :lol 

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah right. Arcee's dirtier than Ironhide after a 20 hour battle. Ask any autobot, she's known as the cybertronian ho.

10. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    I realized that in the movie, BB had a very worn Bot mode. In car mode however, he was squeaky clean. But the problem is, parts of the bot mode becomes the car (for the toy). SO unless your gonna battle damage the parts which are hidden in alternate mode, I find it pretty complex. Not to mention that part of BB will be clean and part of him battle damaged. Does that make any sense?

11. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    It really depends ; on both robot character & altmode.

The kind of 'scenario' you're trying to convey matters a lot as well.

For example, in the ROTF movie, Prime was in mint shiny condition when he's at NEST HQ ; a little bit later, he looks like scrapmetal.

Even, when dirty & wartorn, some parts like hydrolic cylinders can still be shiny, while the rest may look dirty. A car's body ought to look shiny.... the inner chassis may look matte metal.. kinda gunmetal actually.

Usually I like the arbitrary & logic use of material characteristics : surfaces which should look matte should look matte, surfaces which ought to be shiny should look shiny.

off/ontopic ; I wonder when we'll see the first proper custom ROTF Starscream.... imo, his tan should look matte while his glyphs should like slightly shiny.... the stock toy has it the other way around, but I'm OK with that too.

12. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The sick and twisted side of me really wants to see some arcee-ho fanart. lol

The best thing to do to get this effect is dont add any weathering to the alt mode parts. Only weather and dust up the bot mode parts or any faux alt mode parts that dont actually form any of the alt mode. Like Voyager primes chest for example. This way you get the best of both worlds and screen accuracy if thats what you are going for.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends on what it is really....some of my customs are clean, some are dirty/gritty....its according what the character calls for. (IMO)

14. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Depends on the character and toy. I find i like generic figures figures to be a lot more damaged, like my Tieren.

It also depends on whether my basecoat has visible chips/brushstrokes in it. It's easier to hide those in a battle damaged paintjob. :D 

I rarely have clean guns or swords on my figures, though.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    battle damage is always easiest to work at in my opinion. drop the figure, no problem, scratch it, no problem (no offense to TTT)

next would come shiny, and most difficult (in my opinion of course) would be a balance between weathered AND shiny, because the detailing/weathering takes so damn long and the "shiny" parts are more exposed to damage while adding the detail and weathering.

16. blacklion29

blacklion29 Merlion Gestalt

Ebay:
    clean alt mode, weathered bot modes for me. I lean towards the G1/Classics feel.

17. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

yup as many said before it just depends on the custom. i will add for me it does not depend on the character bio just what i think it should be or what i want to do. any of them can be dirty or clean even ironhide and ratchet

18. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

i tend to vary between the altmode. naturally offroaders, military land vehicles, for me will be dirty.

19. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dirty all the way! I think even on cars that should be clean. Paint them up nice and shiny. Then use some pigments or something and give them a good dusting and maybe a little tar in the wheel wells, etc.. Even in the movie I liked how prime always seem to have some grime on his windshield chest. Thats a realistic yet awesome dirty transformer.

20. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I like my toys to be clean and shiny. But it really depends on the figure.