To sell toys.....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by -Mainframe-, Oct 19, 2008.

1. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

To sell toys

Its fine that they want to sell toys. But, to let greed dictate your actions is wrong.

:rolleyes:  :thumbdown 

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I feel that Transformers fiction should be created BEFORE the toys, and not the other way around. That way, the fiction would be much more than a toy-selling gimmick.

3. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Hasbro isn't directly responsible for stories all the time. As far as generation one was concerned, I think you need to talk to Flint Dille, or maybe Simon Furman.

4. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

>Koff< Beast Machines >Koff<

>Koff< Last minute changes to molds screwed them over >koff<

5. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Fixed that link for ya.
    But Hasbro's a toy company.

But either way you're getting your wish with Animated (although technically it's all done simultaneously).

6. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Only the most blinkered noninterventionist "economist" would disagree with you on that (and if ever that philosophy was discredited, it certainly is right now, but I digress..). But as far as TFs go... well, they are toys, made by a toy company, who want to, well, make a profit. And in this day and age, Hasbro are a very large company indeed, with shareholders, who want their profit too.

I don't know what Hasbro are like in terms of their ethics, either companywide or in terms of their directors. They're probably not all going to be shining examples of goodness & humanity... but I think you're sort of suggesting they're Greedy with a capital "G", and therefore somewhat evil. I don't think that's the case, dude :) 

The fiction follows the toys, it's not a conspiracy.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One can only have a certain level of expectation for fiction based on toys, whose purpose is to promote said toys. Anything above average is considered gravy. Still, we do get stuff without the sole purpose of selling toys, such as the Dreamwave and IDW G1-based comics and (to a lesser extent) the Movie (lesser in the sense that the fiction came before the toys, so the writers didn't have to work around toy company whims or case assortments.

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're about 25 years too late! :wink: 

Look, what's the prob? It's always been this way. It may offend Transfans sensibilities, but yeah, all this wonderful fiction we like was created to promote the toyline with certain mandates from Hasbro regarding new toys/gimmicks etc.

My question is - so? The fact that many of the creators of this fiction rose above this (quite common) directive to bring us some great stories is something to be celebrated. People line Flint Dille, Furman et al really got into these characters and attempted to bring something greater to the table.

Interestingly though, I find that the stories produced that are more constricted to the "selling toys" mandate (such as te 1980s output) is usually better than a lot of the stuff produced that ISN'T.

Take Furman - when he had to adhere to certain demands and restrictions placed on him, his creative mind really flourished and brought us some great stuff during the Marvel UK years. Now - although I still enjoy some of his stories - they tend to be plodding, lacking direction. And don't get me started on Mad Brick's Dreamwave's ramblings.

So, there is something to be said for restrictions...

And we shouldn't be ashamed of this origin for our favourite franchise. Better to start as a toyline and then graduate to a great storytelling universe than go the other way round (like Star Wars!!)

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Similarly, I really don't see what the problem is. If you haven't known it was about the toys for the last 20-odd years, you've had your head in the sand.

And if you have a specific problem with newer-generated gestalts kicking the first generation's skidplate, or Buzzsaw getting in a lucky shot in the chink of OS's armour? What? Stuff like that would happen.

And the toys would still have looked nothing like the on-screen or page characters, because the drawn images don't work as real toys.
    And Hasbro wouldn't have had a chance to advertise their new characters, so they wouldn't get bought. The toyline fails, and the supporting fiction gets cancelled because there's nothing left to advertise. Happy? :D 

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Oh noes, cheap fiction that exists for the purpose of selling toys to 6-12 year old kids doesen't stand up to scruitiny from people older then that?

Hasbro should be morally ashamed of themselves, there are thousands of people on the internet who struggle to progress to adult life and they have a social responsibility to satisfy them just as much as the other 98% of people that buy thier stuff.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    TFWiki.net will come out on top of Google searches ONE DAY. I hate to see Wikia make profit on the back of our work...

But I digress, I don't see what the big deal is. Transformers fiction, for the most part, has always been a vehicle targeted at children to enable Hasbro to sell their wares.

You should be so lucky. In Japanese kids shows that sell toys, it's usually much worse.

12. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I know it sucks that sometimes characters that you like get killed to move product but look at it this way. If they don't push the toys then they don't make the money needed and we don't get the cartoons, comics, and even the toys themselves that we want. It is a lame tradeoff in some aspects but without it we wouldn't get anything and THAT would be a lot worse.