To sell or not to sell?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I've been debating about it for a while, and the more I think about it, the more I want to sell certain parts of my collection. Specifically a lot of the movie stuff and maybe Animated stuff. I just dont ever transform most of them, and they just kinda sit there. I'm always low on cash, want a few things (specifically filling the gaps in my Classics Collection) and suddenly have a powerful desire to go to TFcon, and of course to do that, I need money.

But at the same time, I'm worried about seller's remorse. Will I kick myself for selling ROTF Jetfire? would I miss having a toy of Sentinel Prime? Did i really go, get nearly all the animated toys made available in the us, only to try to sell them? What if I don't make enough to go to TFcon in the first place?

So what do you guys think? how often do you kick yourself for not keeping certain figures? And is it better to sell them individually, in bulk, or some mix of the two? All input welcome, especially as to if TFcon is worth going to in the first place lol (for me its a 9 hour 2 minute drive)

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I dunno, but if you do sell, make sure you mention they're from a home with 14 pets. If someone has allergies, they're screwed.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, considering its Jetfire & Sentinel, an equivalent of Cosmic Rust should kind of come with the territory though...

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Just added that to my sales thread-though for the record, the animals NEVER go in my room. Sometimes the toys come out though. But the animals NEVER go in.

5. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like an expensive trip and unless your getting top dollar for movie and Animated toys your trip will be cut pretty short. At least as far as buying older classic stuff goes. Those lines aren't getting any cheaper so it may be a good idea to sell and focus on what you really are interested in buying/keeping. Is a cheaper to buy at the con then it is say on the boards or eBay, maybe, but the gas and admission fees, food and hotel add up. Not to say the experience isn't something you may enjoy and never forget, you just have to justify the cost of making that trip. I'm kinda in the same dilemma now myself, sell my movie stuff just to buy more stuff that has a greater appeal to me? I would just hold on to the best figures and clear all the junk and extras, if in doubt, hold on to it, store it away and make a decision in a year or so after the new movie comes out. On that leader Jetfire loose they are running like 60 dollars the most valuable maybe HA Barricade or Mudflap. Just my 2 cents.

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Mhmm... Though for the record, I'm not getting there on movie power alone, have other sources of income too-i'm just wondering how much selling some stuff will help towards that. =]

7. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool man, I think I read you were always low on cash and just assumed this was where most of your funds were coming from. Sorry my bad.

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    oh no big-im low on cash because i mow lawns and drive to places, which means most of it goes to gas and hanging out with friends-i just need to sacrifice my social life for a while to get there lol.

9. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never sold, but as a buyer I vastly prefer individual sales. The trouble with lots is there's rarely a case where a buyer will want every single figure thats included, and it's often not worth it to pull the trigger on a dozen figures (or whatever) to get the two or three that appeal. Usually if I see that a seller has their figures as a lot, I move on and don't even look at what's on offer.

Just my 2¢.

10. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sell your movie stuff, keep your animated. Trust me you'll regret it.

11. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

I had to go on Work Comp and my woman asked if I would be interested in selling some toys, I told her "those are not toys, they are transformers and Devastator will crush your face" Of course by devastator I meant Hercules, same difference. (dont worry i was joking with her) I have money to pay the bills, it was money to pay for my pre order transformers lol.. So I decided i'm eating ramen noodles until september...

Long story made short, selling your transformers will come back to bite you at some point. I made the mistake of breaking some when i was a teenager and selling the ones I didnt break... 10 years later i'm really hating myself for it... and I'm having to spend quadruple the price to get some of them back and others a lot more than that.

12. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Amen to that 1.

13. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Gotta say, it's a buyers market for ANimated toys at the moment.

14. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    The question also then becomes: which movie toys do i keep, if any? Like, I love BBBB, and Ironhide in general, Leader Prime, etc. Just gotta sort through all that.. oy.

15. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've gone through some collection downsizing recently. I've been getting rid of a lot of the off screen characters like HFTD Tomahawk, Terradive, Seaspray and Highbrow and stuff like that. ROTF Brawn, and Stockade. And yes Leader Jetfire. I got $96 for him on ebay a couple of months ago.

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

That's entirely up to you. No one in this thread can really tell you which figures to sell or keep.

However, for the sake of this thread, I'd keep the movie leaders as those will be more difficult to come by should you have seller's remorse. The deluxes - especially loose - should be relatively easy to pick back up by comparison.

I would just go over each figure and evaluate which ones I like the most versus those that I like the least. You kind of have to dismiss the idea of being a line completist. Say Battle Blades BB is the only movie deluxe you actually like, you can then sell the rest of them off. Same with everything else.

17. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

he can make it smaller lots of 2-3 bots a lot, mixing the sucky ones with more desirable ones, sell what he can, and put whatever are left in a lot and start it with low low starting bid hoping to at least get rid of it.

18. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sell everything except for turd party, classics, MP's, and alternators. You'll have a nice big hunk of change and you will completly forgot about all the other figures once you start tearing up all the boxes for the new stuff :D 

19. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I would personally say keep the Animated. I've has sellers remorse immediately after I sold my Animated Arcee (During the period it was stupid hard to find her), Shockwave, and Blitzwing.
    But that's just me, after all. As for the movie, I've sold off almost all my movie toys (Except for Brawl and Scorpinok, because no one wanted them :lol ) and felt nothing.

20. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was just thinking of this earlier as well..I do believe I want the movie characters all gone, as I have no love for them or anything..I just collected them because they were transformers..and I bought everything of every version that came out..so like now I have a few hundred bumblebees following each movie etc, every line that came out, each repaint and the japanese variants etc..now I don't want them. And I did that with each character. Might be time to sell them as well.