Customs: To Parts-Form or Not

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Yaujta, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay, let me preface by saying I hate parts-formers. Seriously.

I've been working on a custom for some time now, and have hit a roadblock as far as parts-forming goes.
    I can't work out how to transform the piece and keep it as an all-in-one figure. It's frustrating, but it may also just be the limit of what can be done while still keeping the figure aesthetically pleasing in both modes.

Without giving too much away, it's a voyager Shockwave, and the barrel is posing a huge challenge.

I had worked up a folding hinge system to allow for a small barrel to snap over the forearms, which worked really well, but the alt mode ended up looking like a snub nosed pistol. I want it to be a large space cannon, and to do so, I needed a bigger barrel. I have one from a junker G1 Shockwave (trimmed and 'flattened' a bit), and it looks awesome on the figure, but I just can't get it to transform.
    Takara did it eloquently with the MP figure, but I just can't get it to work that way.

The opinions I'm fishing for are whether or not sacrificing all-in-one for parts-forming is worth it, or if I should just make the thing transform and sacrifice the overall looks of the finished piece.

I know this is a bit all-over-the-place, but I'm stuck.

Anyone?

2. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

I say if it's not crucial to the bot mode partsforming is okay. If you end up with a robot missing a limb or something that ain't bueno.