To Open or Not....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jeremy.B, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am NOT an MISB collector, but I just got an E-Hobby G2 Ultra Mags (thanks Macross19!). He is MISB, and looks fantastic. Part of me wants to open him and display with my G2 Laser Prime and RID Scourge, as I love that mold, and part of me wants to leave him as-is. What is your opinion?

2. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unless it's some recent item that there's a million of on ebay, leave it MISB. I'm not a MISB collector myself, but opening uncommon items is just foolish in my opinion.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let that baby free! lol Well are you planning on selling it? If not just open and display it like all your others.

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This was my thought as well. Why open a rare toy when you can buy one already opened for half the price and keep yours sealed? Once you break that seal, it can NEVER be undone.

5. teepo112

teepo112 Well-Known Member

Just think..... what if you were a toy? Would you want to be kept inside a box? (Toy Story 2 :) )

6. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sometimes things look classier (?) or better when you leave them in the box... Go with your gut instinct...I'd say since you got the other 2 versions, might as well open it.

7. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

"Toys", by definition, are meant to be played with. "Packaging", by definition, is meant to be removed. If you want an investment, might I recommend the stock market, real estate, or precious metals?

8. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    HA HA This is the response I was lookig for. Half of you guys say keep it MISB, half say free it. If I could find a loose one, then I would keep it sealed. How rare is this guy anyway?

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Would you buy said items and diminish their value? Didn't think so. They may be toys, but it doesn't change the fact that MISB toys (AKA collectibles) are more valuable than loose toys. And no one wants to flush money down the toilet.

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outraged MISB collectors, Or to take arms against the package, And slice it to ribbons. To open, to be sealed no more; and by open to say we end The heart-ache of a thousand "open the damm box" collectors...

Open the damm thing if you don't have the mold. Keep it sealed if it pleases you and you have one of the over releases.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Open it. Forever sealed toys are sad and pointless.

Save the box if you really want to.

12. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    MMM <---straight and to the point as always....

13. teepo112

teepo112 Well-Known Member

I opened all of my TFTM toys. As MegaMoonMan said, it's pointless to keep them sealed. You will never really enjoy them if you don't open and play with them (carefully) then put them to display. But always keep the box.

14. Grok

Grok Member

I think it comes down to if you collect Transformer int boxes or Transformers in general and if your in the hobby to resell in the future or to build a personal collection.

Personally I'm not a reseller and have no intention to sell anything unless times are dire. It seems foolish to me to buy something like a Fort Max for an absurd amount of money, where the Toy is not even visible in the package, and never open it. It could be a box of rocks and no one would ever know.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Open it. If you want a pretty box to sit around and gather dust then go to a box store and buy one. You paid for a toy, you may as well open it up and enjoy it.

16. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    I agree. I am not into TFs as in investment or to make money. However, I know if I EVER get in a bind, I can unload them and not take too much of a hit, because I take care of them and am very careful what and from who I buy. I don't plan to sell, but you never know what emergencies may occur.

That being said, I will probably open this and keep the box. Don't keep many boxes but have Car Robots Nemesis Prime and his Box, MPs and boxes, and various G1, reissues, and japanese boxes.

LOL @ "Box of Rocks"

17. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Open.... Dammit open!

Open it and enjoy the toy inside :D 

18. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    I think it's almost comical how some people get about "open the toy!" as if they'd start ripping open MISB g1 prime and megs or something.

You know, you could always try to find a collector who has one out of box, or the box isn't sealed, and see if you can get a trade + cash, and then you wouldn't have to open a MISB item.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think it's almost comical how some people get about "keep it MISB!" as if it's a sin to open a MISB g1 prime and megs or something.

I opened them 20 years ago, and I would do it again today. I wouldn't pay hundreds in order to do it, but if I lucked out and found one, you can be damn sure I'd open it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  20. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Well I doubt he plans to take it to his grave, so why open it when there's at least a couple ways of getting one already open? Like I already said, I'm not a MISB collector myself, but I'm certainly not going to start opening everything on the face of the planet "just because", esepcially when I have the sense to realize how much extra those MISB collectors are willing to pay. It's not like we're talking about a $10 CCBB here.

And if you're seriously trying to tell me you'd open one of the MISB examples I mentioned, stop lying to yourself and everyone here.

Besides, the flipside to this whole "you must open everything no matter the cost!" arguement is, that maybe some MISB collectors want everyone else on the face of the earth to open their items, just so theirs go up in value.