To open or not to open...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Erector, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Right, I want to make this clear from the outset: I do not want this to turn into an OMG FREE THEM FROM THEIR PLASTIC PRISONS MISB IS FOR LOSERS LOLZ style slanging match. Anyone who does this: I'll find your IP, come round to your house and kill your kitten. Seen the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back? Yeah. Remember that. :lol 

Anyway, threatened brutality out of the way with, I am in a quandry. Years ago I collected the full set of Hasbro TRU G1 reissues. You know, the book style ones with Dreamwave art etc. I've still got the whole set MISB upstairs in my display room. To an extent I bought them and kept them sealed so that they would retain value as much as possible.

While they've been sat there, I've gotten more into having a loose G1 display in my collection room (see my collection thread below!) and it seems silly to have one set sat there sealed, while I pick up loose vintage ones. I've recently been thinking why don't I just crack open the sealed one? They're reissues, they won't hold their value as well as the originals... or will they? eBay searches for TRU reissues likes Powermaster Prime come in around £100, and Inferno for around £50. For those prices I could buy loose vintage... but as with all reissues there's the chance they might be reissued again, dropping the value. But them's the breaks. I've also got a full set of Encore releases which I'm in the same mental situation with.

There's some I will keep sealed - for example, I've got a few Primes, a few Soundwaves, a couple of Megs. So I'll keep at least one sealed (I think I've got 3 or 4 Primes actually, so in his case keep a few sealed!!), as well as ones I've already picked up vintage like Metroplex, Prowl, Red Alert and a few others.

So as you can see, I'm stuck. I'd love to hear people's viewpoints - preferably those which aren't as per the first paragraph. I'm leaning towards opening, but is it something I'll regret? (I know nobody can tell me that, I'm just waxing lyrical :lol )

2. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    sell your reissues, Sideswipe for one is nuts money these days, an original probably wouldnt set you back more than £25 :) 

Cash in, pocket some change and get some vintage going, my 2 cents bud.

3. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

You've got to ask yourself, "are you going to sell them?" Yes it's nice to have sealed toys incase you one day sell them, but if it's a no, then I'd say open some. Stress some.

Maybe a favourite that you know you'll always have. Hell, try and open them so that you can put them back in the packaging so you at least retain the illusion of packaged transformers rather than sealed ones.

I only own one sealed toy (McF: Urizen) I don't intend to sell it, but it is nice to own something that I know has a solid value associated with it (less since they released that second urizen some years ago though......).

So to sum up, I'd say open up a few that you know you'll always keep. I truly think toys are more enjoyable when opened and transformed and hell, played with. After that, if you feel it's a bit wrong, don't open any more, but if you're having a tonne of fun with them, open up some more, in bits and pieces.

4. AMG

AMG Old School

This is really the key point that caught my eye here. Going by this I say just crack open the reissues and set them up in your display. You have the bots already, use them. :) 

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'd only keep them sealed if you're planning on possibly selling them down the line. If you're not planning on it, open them carefully and store the boxes.

6. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

I keep mine sealed only because I don't want my son to destroy them (6 months old). I'm keeping them in the box for when he gets older and then he can have them. For now, they bring back childhood memories for me and I'm glad I got back into collecting them.

7. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    The arguement really depends on why you're collecting.
    If you're collecting and keeping MISB for the resale value then if its not original G1 you're a dumbass (and the only reason the G1 stuff is an exception is that at the time toys were not kept for thier value and are therfore rare) keeping anything G2 (shudder) onwards MISB is a fools market as there are already tons of people hoarding away boxes and boxes hope that it'll be worth hundreds in years to come.
    COndition is not the deciding factor in a toys resale price unles the toy is also rare. Anyone hording MISB leader primes from the first Bay movie or ROTF is just taking up space with something thats still going to be everywhere.

If you're collecting MISB as a display and becuase you're a completeist and never intend to sell them i hope you're buying two of everything because you're missing a world of fun. They're toys, ment to be enjoyed and played with. I don't care if you're old or young male or female you will have some fun playing with them, even if its just from the transformation puzzle aspct of them

And if you open them just through the boxes away...they're just abox and the toys already opened, you're just taking up space nomatter how much you flatten them down.

Play with them, display them but most of all enjoy them. If you're buying them just to make money now or in the future you're a horder or a scalper and you're defeating the purpose of the toys in the first place

8. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

I keep some sealed but open most and keep the box if its still in good condition. Most of my Transformers are displayed and I have way too many to even keep boxed. I never look at the fact I might sell them one day but keep them in pristine, complete condition. I rotate my display so sometimes I may display my MISB stuff, it's usually the ones I never fiddle around with, the last waves, Animated Arcee, Cyb Ratchet ect.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You're keeping them sealed in hopes of retaining their value, correct? This tells me that you plan on selling them at some point.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sell Jazz, Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Skids, and Hoist for sure, mainly because the Encore versions are much better, especially Jazz.

As for the rest, it is up to you. Honestly though, a lot of them do not even sell for what they did at retail which is why I never bothered with selling mine.

BTW Powermaster Prime, Ultra Magnus, and Hot Rod are some of the greatest G1 toys IMO and you should totally open them.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  11. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is indeed a tricky one. It all depends on what you're plan was for your reissues. Were they purely kept misb this long in case you needed money down the line? Would you regret opening them?

I suggest opening one that's reasonably easy to replace sealed, and see how you feel about it. Can always sell the open one on to make some back.

The old MISBer in me says that you've got this far with them closed, why spoil it? Figures may be reissued over and over, but there'll never be another commemorative series like the first one. Buy in cheaper vintage/loose etc figures and keep your investment sealed. The price can only go up for true reissue collectors.

12. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Typically, I always open up my products.

There's only a few exceptions, and those are the SDCC Mighty Mugs prime and Soundwave reissue.

Prime I left in the box because well, Mighty Mugs don't have much articulation anyway and I wish to have it autographed by Peter Cullen one of these days.

And I left Soundwave in the box because there'd be no way I could show that I got it from SDCC anyway.

13. LiamK

LiamK Well-Known Member

"BTW Powermaster Prime, Ultra Magnus, and Hot Rod are some of the greatest G1 toys IMO and you should totally open them."

I'd agree with PM Prime, but Hot Rod? Seriously? I know G1 figures have rubbish articulation, but are shoulders too much to ask for?

(Of course, Hot Rod suffers from already having an awesome Classic update, and a potentially awesome Animated update.)

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    If you're trying to collect a loose G1 collection, why keep them sealed? Enjoy the originals. You might feel guilty at first, but you WILL enjoy yourself! Additionally, you can always keep them sealed and set out to collect original, vintage G1 figures. It might be pricey, but fun!

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Half of me wants to say open them up, half of me wants to keep them sealed. I guess I'll argue for both.

If you open them up, you can still display the boxes, which do look nice on their own, and have the figures elsewhere on the shelf. At least, that may have been what I'd have done had I collected them from the start.

But now that you seem to have some or most of them loose anyway, keeping sealed versions again would look nice on a display. Despite the fact that they're reissues, how many sealed G1 do you plan on really getting? Keep the sealed sealed and keep the G1s loose. Market value be damned.

16. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Yup. Since you are already at the point where these toys can start to appreciate in value (as some already have it seems), it seems silly to go and open them now. Maybe you don't need the money now, but who knows what will happen over the next couple of years.

I would try and pick up a loose collection of the Hasbro re-issues if you want some to display. Loose they are all pretty similar and they have not kept up with the value of the Takara releases so they shouldn't be all that expensive.

17. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah a full collection sealed is pretty neat. And Vintage can be collected up for not to much. The only difficult one is Powermaster Prime as the reissue is the much better Ginari version. Retractable fists alone make it so much better (then there the diecast cab and the apex armour) and you might find getting a loose version of that tricky. Although I do happen to have a spare reissue cab and trailer lying around that I was thinking of customising so they are out there.

On balance I'd say keep sealed and I'm not a MISBer, but in this case I don't think opening really is worth it.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    How exactly are reissues worth more than vintage? I always thought the price of a figure goes do when it gets reissued?

I say keep it misb if you want to sell it, if not open it, I have the Sideswipe mold (Red Alert), actually is pretty cool.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Open them. Enjoy the experience of minty fresh G1.

20. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Fair point. But it's nice having a complete line, you know? Whether it's opened or sealed... also, tell me where I can get a minty complete Sideswipe for £25 and I'll bite your hand off :lol 

It's a possibility. When I started collecting again back in... what, 2003, 2004maybe? it was part nostalgia for the toys, and part hoping it would be an investment. Of course, investing in reissues is a stupid idea :lol  But it seems it's paid off...

If I were to open them, I'd store the boxes of course. I'm too anal not to do that :lol 

Yeah I've got a loose Powermaster Prime and UM, but it's not the Ginrai version... which is obviously nicer ;)  Jazz, Starscream, TC, Skyway, Skids and Hoist I have all loose anyway... but it would be a case of I'd want to keep them anyway so I have the full run of the series. I'm probably thinking about things too much there :lol 

See above ;) 

Sinestro suggested this too... problem is, all the easy-to-replace (Skids, Prowl, Red Alert, Tracks etc.) I already have loose :lol  so it'd be an awkward one or nothing.

Is there such thing as a "true reissue collector"? ;)  You're right about that though. Gah.

Wow, AV127, not seen you around for a while!

Which is another entirely valid point :lol  Minty lovely fresh G1 as opposed to chipped paint and knackered old vintage... or well I COULD get nice vintage but it'd cost me more than the reissue ;) 

I'm gonna sleep on this one I think. Another day of thinking won't hurt :lol