to open or not to open!? beast wars transmetal

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BruticusNoXXX, Sep 2, 2012.

1. BruticusNoXXX

BruticusNoXXX Well-Known Member

I met someone from craigslist today and i bought some figures from him, everything was $100 total i scored

-Transformers Universe Tread Bolt voyager, still had the box, was opened, no instructions toy is in really good shape.
    -Transformers Universe Standoff beneath the streets Springer and Ratbat, box is unopened in mint condition
    -Transformers Universe Autobot Ambush Autobot Roadbuster and Dirge, box is unopened in mint condition
    -Transformers Generations Thundercracker, misb, opened the bubble.
    -Transformers Universe Battle for the Cyber Planet Keys, box was unopened, i opened it, transformed and played with the figures for a bit then put them back in the box.
    Transformers Beastwars deluxe transmetal of the following figures, all on the card, sealed in good shape. Rhinox, Waspinator, Airazor, Terrorsaur

so should i keep these in the box unopened? i figure ill open all the ones cept the beast wars...could anyone give me a approx price of what these are worth?

sorry if that was sort of hard to read

2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast Wars toys with a few notable exceptions have not really shot up in value. so I'd say maybe $15-$20 a peace depending on condition etc.

I'd maybe keep em sealed and get opened examples if you really want to know what makes them tick.

As for the Cyb repaints the 2 packs you've listed with Springer and Ratbat and RoadBuster and Dirge can actually catch a pretty penny depending on whos looking at the time.

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Transmetal Rhinox is awesome. Airazor is pretty good as well. I would open them.

4. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Sage advice. The problem with some transmetals is the flaky chrome. I had a similar conundrum whre I got a load of TM's for a bargain price MISB. Now, I'm a firm believer in freeing figures from their bubbles, but compared to some of my chrome chipped figures they just looked so nice and shiny and new I couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead, I'm going to track down some loose versions someday.

5. BruticusNoXXX

I think I'll take this route. They look kind of simple to me, and maybe even lack being super posable..? But I have read on here how someone's bw TM megatron had plastic crumbling near the metal so that made me worried. But they just look so pretty and shiny I just want to play with them. And plus theyve spent the past 15? Sealed.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Nothing you got listed is likely to shoot much up in value. So i say open them all.

7. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

i saw a Ratbat got for $35. but overall the prices seem to not rise much. Thundercracker maybe will.

8. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I think that you might see the value rise later on down the road as the kids that collected Beast Wars get older and get better jobs. A lot of those kids that watched the show and played with the toys are probably only in their early 20's now.

9. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    If it had been Transmetal Megatron, Transmetal 2 Megatron, or Optimal Optimus, then maybe, but for toys as common as those? I say open them.

Then again, I'm the kind of collector who opens ALL the figures he buys.

10. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Beast wars toys are worth next to nothing. Because they are the most re-released and repainted toys in existance.

Stuff that shoots up in value. is items that never got a re-release,repaint or reissue.

Open up all those Beast Wars Transmetals toys and enjoy them. Because the one's you have never appeared on the show in those forms. These all kept getting re-released in the over excessive amounts.

11. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

I buy all my beast wars figures loose. I almost have a complete original collection at this point. Nothing you can do about the flaking if you decide to take them out of package. My x-9 ravage has even started to flake a little.

12. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only BW I keep in package are the TM and TM2 Megatrons signed by David Kaye. I have other copies for my Megatron display (including a japanese TM so I can actually transform him)

13. BruticusNoXXX

Thank you all for the input, and to the guy who said kids who grew up watching beast wars and now collect, I'd fall into that category. I can remember having a few beast wars figures, but none of these. Maybe a waspinator but not transmetal

14. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    It's a perfect time to be collecting BW. I've gotten so many sealed figures, if not all, that are next to nothing when compared to other lines like G1. Loose figures should be cheap as chips.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Although haven't there been some TM BW figures where the chrome has flaked off even when still sealed? I vaguely remember a TM Rattrap photo doing the rounds a while back where flakes of his chrome were just lying at the bottom of the still sealed bubble. Keeping things sealed is no guarantee of keeping the chrome intact, although obviously it's got a better chance than just having the figures out of the packaging and exposed.

16. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    Yeah, with Beast Wars, chrome flaking is kinda a case-by-case basis. Obviously, Rattrap is one of the more notorious flakers, but most of my Transmetals from childhood have still got great chrome (aside from obvious playwear).

I'm not sure how the chrome holds out on the TC's Transmetals, but if all you're worried about is chrome flaking, then you probably don't have too much to worry about.

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My MiSB CR gigatron started to flake like a month after I opened it up but then I see others who still look awesome to this day. The toy was a few years old when I opened so I guess I just got unlucky.

I think most chrome problems I've had have come from when they have been tinted I guess it must mess with the finish.