To open or MISB...that is the question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Oct 13, 2007.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Been debating this for a long while with myself.

I got a reissue G1 Screamer a time back, was probably the first figure I bought since...a long time. It basically got me back into collecting (though it wasn't until the movie line that I bought any new figures >_>..so was a couple years between 'em).

It is MISB, and I do like the way it looks all nice and sealed..however, I've been really thinking about letting him out and just transforming him (never owned a G1 SS before, only G1 figure I had was a grimlock I got many years ago [long since gone]), then reboxing him and leaving him MIB on my shelf.

I know that once open it can never again be MISB, but just...oh so tempting to play around with him a bit.

So consider this a semi poll of sorts.

2. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    MISB Always!
    But i cant talk since I also have a loose collection but if i had a choice, I would keep it MISB.

Just looks better and knowing its minty makes me happy!!!

3. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Help me out too:

I'm also thinking about opening up an Armada Starscream I found at ToysRus for $9.00. He was on the bottom shelf of the clearance isle, pushed all the way back. I had to almost get on the store's floor to reach him, he was so low and far. The box was in good shape but covered in what appeared to be dried soda residue. I quickly bought him and when I reached home, I took a damp paper towel and cleaned the residue off the box (it came right off). The reason I'm thinking of opening him up is because he comes with batteries and I don't want them to corrode and ruin his electronics.

Open / Don't Open?

I have opened up all my other Armada figures.
    Well, except for my two Powerlinx Optimus Primes (one has the Universe CD-ROM, the other doesn't).

4. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's a question only you can answer for yourself. Collecting means something diffrent to everyone. There is no right or wrong way. That being said, the only MISB's I have are Starscream duplicates. Everything else gets opened and played with.

5. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    if you worried about the batteries, dont!
    There is nothing to worried about just keep it away from heat.

My laser prime has Batteries and i had it in storage for about 10 years before i open it and batteries still work :) 

The main reason i keep my Toys MISB is for protection from human hands.

6. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Leave it MISB and go get an Encore Starscream, they're cheap as hell by comparison.

7. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Yep. It's all up to you. But i'll tell you what i think..

For me, I don't see the point in keeping something MISB unless you care about the monetary value of the toy.

It's almost like saying "one day i might want to get rid of it.. and at that point, it would be cool to get the price I would be willing to let it go for.." If you really like the toy.. I would open it up and enjoy the greatness of it.. A lot of stuff in life is already a fishbowl.

If you care about the price of the item and it's prestine condition, by all means, keep it in the box.

This is completely me.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I caved.

He is now simply MIB.

I don't care about the monetary value of him, I plan to leave him in the box, I just had to have that experience of opening a G1 and transforming it for the first time.

<3'd it

9. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm gonna open it. I bought him originally because I wanted him. And seeing how I will not sell him and all my other Armada stuff IS opened, I wil open him. Eventually. Plus, I don't want the batteries to go bad and ruin his electronics.

10. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Don't beat yourselves up on this guys. If you think about it twice...its not worth the trouble haha and actually opening it is much more cooler and relieving than thinking about it in the back of your minds lol, right?? .... (.)>(.)

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Have him put together in alt mode now.

Just wow, I honestly don't know what to say. A rather good feeling though. The diecast, OH THE DIECAST. He looks and feels nice. He may actuall sit outside of his box now...he looks so nice assembled.

12. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm usually a tear em open person myself but with MISB G1 stuff it has to be some sort of crime to open them up. I mean let's face it he was all sealed up for 20+ years now I think it was better to keep him that way.

Like Omegus Prime suggested I would have kept it sealed and have bought yourself the Encore or a loose beat up one to play with.

13. DeeLux

DeeLux I love Energon sandwiches

Yeah, leave G1 goodies sealed.
    All others should be freed from their scotch tape and twistie tie prisons!

Honestly, I got to the point that I ran out of room for figures in boxes.
    I'm able to fit way more fig's in my officewithout the clunky boxes.

But it all comes down to how much storage/display space you have.

14. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Considering how many (and how often) G1 reissues pop up, I don't see the point in keeping those figures MISB anymore. I know it's no contest for me if I see an original G1 figure for hundreds of dollars vs. an exact reissue replica for under $50.

The only figures I could understand keeping (a spare copy of) MISB would be Masterpieces and Alternators/Binaltechs aka the high end stuff.

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Considering that he is hardly posable besides the arms, I don't see much reason to open it. Now if it was classics or masterpiece starscream, open that and play and have fun posing him.

16. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    MISB is nice , keep it mISB. I know there is a nice feeling opening a MISB toy , but be strong.

Batteries and such, dont new toys have this little papper,plastic that keeps the batteries from connecting , and that keeps the batterie connection good and unused ?

17. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Toys were meant to be opened and played with, but like others have said, Masterpiece extras and rare G1 stuff, sure that makes sense. The only other reason to keep them MISB in my opinion is so I can buy them from you and know that you didn't kill it before it came into my possession!!:D 

18. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    If you're only into the monetary value because you some day consider to sell it all then keep it MISB, or if you for some reason enjoy "torturering yourself" for not opening them.

But if you plan it to be yours forever them keep it MIB, then you always can take them out for fiddling/playing and back in the box for displaying.
    My MISB stuff will only stay MISBuntill the day I get a hughe room where I can display it all, instead of living in a storage room.

I wouldn't have a Ferrari standing in my garage and not being able to drive it just because the 1st $20'000 vanished as soon as I roll out of the driveway.

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought the watch batteries that are (mostly) in Armada toys don't leak very easily? But an AA battery will eventually leak over time?

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yay! He is free.