To old for transformers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rubber Ducky, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What ILD said. I've grown out of a ton of stuff throughout the years, but because I've liked Transformers for so long I don't think I'll ever really grow out of it until I'm too old to care.
    Of course it's your right, and no one can stop you from speaking your mind. But hating on Prime is accepted in the TFP forum because that's where it's discussed. This thread isn't even remotely related to MLP so it seems out of place for you to bring it up here.

2. uchihabro77

uchihabro77 Energon Warrior 3 Red

I am 16, been a TF fan since I was, whenever Armada came out, I remember having most of those figures, trying to get most of the ones I had and ones I didnt have but wanted. But after getting out of TF for a couple years and got into Gundam, just recently got back in and still love it as much as I did as a kid. :) 

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Seriously, you had no reason to even mention ponies, except maybe to try and reignite that powder keg that is the majority of user's opinions on the subject.

4. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i'm 47 and a bigger fan know than i ever was so not too old

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    This is the way the thread ends, this is the way the thread ends, this is the way the thread ends, not with replies, but a quoting.

6. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

It seems understandable. I mean, most of the figures coming out look like crap or halfway decent, paint barely exist Prime repetitive and boring and the Movies are subjective. The only thing keeping me in is the comics and I can't seem get any of them.

Or It's just a fad. You said that you became a fan in 2009 and that was apart of the Bayverse's popularity. It's understandable. But, did you try looking into others parts of the franchise ? If not, you should in order to keep your interest or might find more favorable part of the franchise for you.

7. Compewtrawn

Compewtrawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I dumped $35k into my $35k car for turbo and other sorts of goodies, now I just enjoy driving it, the thrill of the build is gone. Am I 'too old' for this stuff at 28? I now want another car to do the same thing and I just got back into TF this winter when I came across my old G2 Devy in a bin. I don't know if you get too old, but it sure doesn't help get you laid at a bar, but neither doesn't obsessing about your car at a bar either. They like the dudes posing with no money and dressed like douchebags.

Come to think of it, girls are just bitches in general.

what was the question again?

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Probably my biggest pet peeve is people telling others how they should live their lives. I'll be buying action figures and watching cartoons on my death bed.

9. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I'm 44. When the G1 cartoon started being shown in our country I was 15 or 16, and already in college. Although I was a fan of the show, I never bought any of the toys because being a college freshman, I was too old for them. Major mistake. Now I can only dream of most of the Diaclone and G1 stuff that was common then.

IMO, you are never too old to be collecting TF, or any other toy line for that matter.

10. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

And truly. . .the right of all sentient beings.

11. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like it until you don't. That's about it.

12. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep. That's the way it is for most new fans attracted by Bayformers.

13. Snarl_2289

Snarl_2289 Well-Known Member

Never to old for Transformers, in my case !

14. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    With all the shit that Hasbro's been pumping out lately, I pretty much lost faith in Transformers as a whole. I've moved on to figmas/statues and more importantly, Super Sonico.

15. H0tRodimus

H0tRodimus Well-Known Member

I think as long as Takara keeps giving us new Masterpiece figures I will still be interested in Transformers. Pretty much done collecting everything else though, no more G1, Animated, or Classics for me.

16. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

B**** please!

17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Depends on your age. When you're hitting puberty, you might be getting too old for Transformers. But don't fear! Once you grow up you'll be old enough for Transformers again!

18. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Don't worry, eventually you'll be too old for it to really matter.

19. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    I kind of have to agree with the OP on this, but I'm just going to give my :2c:  on the matter.

First, I need to take you back to how I got into Transformers as a kid. I was four years old when I first discovered Transformers. My mom would always take me and my brother to visit our grandma in Xenia about once every three months or so. Sometimes the four of us would go to this one shopping center somewhere in Southwestern Ohio (I can’t remember where, exactly, probably in Dayton), and there was this toy shop that piqued my interest. So my mom took me to that toy shop one day, and I noticed four metallic-looking car toys, and on their package they were called “Transformers”. I never noticed the Generation 2 logo until I got back into the fandom in 2002, but these things were amazing. I’m not sure if I had gotten Laser Optimus Prime and the big green and purple camo tank Megatron also, or if the Minibots were all I had. I guess as you grow up, you tend to forget a few things. I know I have. :lol  I think I also remember getting a pack of Micromasters that were either on clearance or were clogging the shelves back then. This was when the whole “small toys” craze like Micro Machines was starting to gain steam. The only memory I have of the G1 cartoon was that I watched the Generation 2 version, via the computer-enhanced magic of a certain Cybernet Space-Cube. So yeah, I was basically watching reruns of G1, only with primitive CG scene transitions and a new intro. I still enjoyed it, and the CG intro will always be etched into my mind, with Optimus Prime beating up Ramjet in his infamous neon colors. But, I enjoyed my toys that I had gotten from that store, and to this day, only Generation 2 Seaspray remains from the ravages of time. But Generation 2 only introduced me to Transformers. The next line that came after it was what cemented Transformers into my memories: Beast Wars.

I could go on and on about how awesome Beast Wars was, both in the toyline and the cartoon, but I’ll try to summarize it as best as I can: it’s the one show that both me and my brother both enjoyed, even though he thought the show ended after season 1. I still kept watching, and I still enjoyed it. Sure, some of the toys I owned never appeared on the show, like Cybershark, Insecticon, Armordillo, and so on, but the voice acting and writing for the show was superb. However, my love for Transformers would wane, as I eventually grew out of action figures and into video games. I never bothered with Beast Machines or Robots in Disguise, though I would catch one of the two while flipping channels on Saturday morning. While I did lose interest in Transformers, the line that would bring me back into it still confuses me to this day.

Skipping ahead to July of 2002, I was at a Target, and decided to stroll down the toy aisles for old time’s sake (even though it was only three years after Beast Wars ended). As I went past the Power Rangers toys, I saw Transformers again. There were a few RID toys here and there, but what really got my attention was Armada. The toys themselves were definitely different than the Generation 2 toys I had growing up, and not a lot of these new ones had my interest. I glanced at the smaller Transformers they had, called “Mini-Cons”, and they instantly reminded me of the Micromasters I owned. Had I not gotten the Air Defense Mini-Con Team that day, I wouldn’t be here. Eventually I started getting back into the groove of Transformers, and discovered this site, where I made a lot of friends, despite not having any friends that shared my interest at the time. TFW2005 became the secondary, humorously dysfunctional family I never had. :lol  And I can still attest to that.

As the years went on, I was more and more interested into Transformers and spent a lot of money on building my collection. My father and brother frowned upon this and would tease me about it, but my mom encouraged me to keep going. To be honest, I actually kind of wish I had heeded my brother’s and father’s words before 2007, because I’m regretting it now. After three live-action movies, an animated series that was cut short of a fourth season, two video games, and another animated series that, in my opinion, is disappointing, I’m more than willing to admit that I’m too old for Transformers, and I’m more than willing to call it quits after a whole decade. I’m still realizing that I spent at least a grand on over three hundred Transformers toys; if I had bought no Transformers toys since 2002, I can safely say I’d be a little more financially secure. I’ve never had this much of a lack of interest in Transformers before, and continuing to even think about Transformers would feel like a waste. I’m 23-and-a-half years old; why should I still bother collecting Transformers toys? Or better yet, why should I still bother collecting any toys? If you want to do something to give you that rush of nostalgia, do something else that will remind you of your childhood and how awesome it was. Go watch classic commercials on YouTube, watch a movie from your youth, do anything that doesn’t involve putting down $15 for a small deluxe-sized action figure made from cheap plastic. I’m not saying toy collecting is bad, I’m saying that it just isn’t right for me anymore.

20. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

Never to old :)