To MP-05 Megatron or not to MP-05...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by b-r0ck, Jul 11, 2009.

1. b-r0ck

b-r0ck Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My preorder is in for MP-04 Convoy when he is re-released this fall. I've been told by quite a few people that I simply MUST get a masterpiece Megatron to go with him.

I'm very leery of old MP Megs... his photos don't do much for me - those spindly legs and the not quite right face and helmet. I just went through the MP-05 feedback thread from 2007 and the technical issues posted there sound like an absolute nightmare - especially for a figure that will end up costing around $100.

Still though, I don't have a single Megatron and I certainly do want one. I'm hoping that enough time has passed that people can give some solid input after having had a looong time to think about it. I've heard that die-cast legs from the upgrade kit help the figure A LOT although I would prefer to not have to drop the extra cash - especially considering the gun version megs is 3 ft long with accessories HEH.

So, I can either go for MP Megs.

Or MP Grimlock.

Or expand my meagre collection in other directions.

Thanks for any input!

2. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Careful if you plan on transforming him.

I heard quite a few people broke there's.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Either go for MP Grimlock or pursue the "other directions" idea; MP Megatron is an absolute piece of garbage. In robot mode, the joints vary between too tight and too loose, making it hard to get the figure into a decent pose. The connections in the waist are extremely weak and the figure's waist will come apart with any manipulation whatsoever. There are a number of pieces which pop off easily, particularly the shoulderpads and pieces of armor on the calves. The fusion cannon, while impressive in size, throws the figure's balance off significantly and makes it even harder to get into a decent pose. In addition, the diecast metal pieces will tarnish within a few months, turning brownish-orange; this is most noticeable on the feet in robot mode. The transformation isn't too difficult, but with the fragility of some parts and pieces coming off, it's a pain to deal with.

Bottom line: Avoid this figure and save the $100 for something else.

4. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    megs isnt that great, hes really not worth the $
    plus his parts rust, so its not fun

now grimlock, thats great

5. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    haha i find it funny to read people opinions on this toy. ive had mine for half a year and i transform it about one a week or so.

its not fragile
    nothing pops off
    it can get a ton of good poses
    and no die cast wear. he is one of my favorite transformers.
    i love and recommend him

but yes grimlock is a little better. but u need a megs if u got OP

all mp's are called mp's for a reason, they are masterpieces. you cant go wrong

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I would grab Grimmy first, but I really don't think Megs is that bad. His legs don't really seem that spindly to me, and although it may be a little tricky at times to pose him, it is far from impossible. The only thing that I really do not like is that his face makes him look like he is trying to be a mime, atleast that is my take.

I would hold off and wait to see if you can't find one here on the boards, or from an online retailer on sale. If you search, I am guessing you can find one for $75, or with upgrade set for $100.

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Get hiiiim! MP Megatron is awesome, and he comes with a lot of cool stuff.

Yes, the shoulders pop off sometimes but they pop right back on (just like on any regular transformer).

I agree that the fusion cannon is too big, and they should've had him come with a smaller cannon for robot mode, but I just took it off and have him posed holding up the laser sword from Transformers the Movie.

8. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

GET HIM! He is awesome. Just take your time transforming him and getting to know the figure. People who say he is impossible to pose obviously haven't spent much time with the figure, and gave up in a few tries. I have put him in so many badass poses it's not even funny. I agree that when you pose him with his cannon on his arm, you must take into account the extra wait, and situate his legs to deal with said wait.

I myself don't understand all the hate for him. You have to be a noob to have trouble standing and transforming this figure. He is a great representation of G1 Megs and probably my personal favorite out of the leader class figures. For perspective, I have MP Prime, MP Megs and MP SS.

With all the positives I can say about him, I have also heard horror stories. I took into account all these stories I have heard, and treat my MP-05 as delicate as possible. I would suggest doing the same.

9. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:
    Get MP Megatron. He may not be perfect, but he is the best representation of G1 Megs. If you live in the US and don't need your MP collection to be exclusively Japanese releases, wait for Hasbro to release MP Grimlock here, it will be much cheaper.

10. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

Do you own him?

Had mine since he first came out and have had ZERO problems with him. That includes rust, which btw is just tarnish from what I hear and it wipes right off for those who are encountering this problem

Actually the only problem I have with MP-05 is taking my eyes off my display case when I see him next to MP Prime.

If your pockets can handle it and MP's are what you seek, then go grab MP Megs and enjoy.

11. newguy

newguy i

If i get one, i'll be keeping it MISB, or have him on display

12. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

On Robotkingdom.com they have them for $79.90 but I'm not sure how much shipping is.

13. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I have one open, and always kept him in robot mode for over a year. I had read the reviews about problems and breaking and such, so I was frightened to transform him. Then I started getting curious about his transformation, and just said f it, I'll see how it goes. I transformed him for the first time two weeks ago, and it was awesome. No problems, no breaking, looks great.

A really great figure for any collection.

14. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    yep got him on his first run, no cap mod on mine

also his skinny legs take away from his looks, as does his face

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Megs is awesome, I'd love him. When you get him and if you're afraid of the tarnish problem, then clear coat the chromey parts. I myself took the figure aprat to clear everything that tarnished... Other than that minor problem, he's a perfect represenation of his character.

16. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I picked up mine from the BBTS at launch, and found the 'dreaded' orange cap to be a joke. I removed it easily. His legs might be a little thinner than I'd ultimately like, and the cannon/sight is a little heavy for his shoulder joint to keep in place sometimes; but that's my only complaint with the figure. The tarnish can be a little bothersome, but it simply wipes off.

I'd recommend the figure, if not just to compliment the Prime figure...
    [​IMG]

17. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

well, personaly im trying to get ahold of one myself, so i want one.

18. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    If you can afford him, definatly get him. Yes there are some issues with him (as with almost any TF, somebody will have something to complain about). But if you're careful (it IS a $100 Tf after-all), you'll have no problems with him. He's definately a great counter-part to MP Prime and well worth the buy, imo.

19. b-r0ck

b-r0ck Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for all the replies. I wish it weren't such a love hate relationship for people with this fig but I'm going to have to find out for myself.

I'm taking the plunge: I found him for $75 MISB with no orange plug - not much more than most MISB reissues I've seen so what the heck.

20. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

megs is utter crap go for grimlock