To Me; From Hasbro: EFF YOU!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AutoCon2076, Jul 10, 2007.

1. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

That is what I feel like Hasbro is saying to me. "F*ck you, Transfan." Why do I feel like they are saying that? Because the '07 BotCon exclusives are fetching hundreds of dollars each on eBay. I'm an avid collector, and I spend more money than I want to admit on my toys. Right now Im looking at Metrotitan and Black Zarak - I spent $550 for both of em. They're exclusive to one country in the world, are are nearly twenty years old. **Acceptable**

The "Transformers Classics" line is still sold in store. Priced most anywhere for $9.99 and up, they are. So, as a thank-you to their fans, Hasbro decides to release that last members of the seekers as an exclusive boxed-set. Then they decide to release some obscure fan-favs like Springer and Huffer as Classics for the BotCon. I can see them choosing to make first Alpha Trion an exclusive, sure, and maybe even Weirdwolf since he was a Headmaster. But why the Seekers? Why is Hasbro putting a guilotine through my collection's hardline? Hundreds of dollars for a slight retool of a mold still sold on the shelves?! **Not Acceptable**

If Hasbro keeps cutting off the source for me to finish my collection, I feel as if I should no longer collect. Why are they driving up their own market so hard? Hasbro is the Microsoft of the toy world. They own every company except Takara/Tomy; their counterpart. Why the hell aren't they satisfied?

I'm twenty-four this coming Sunday, and I've never been to a single BotCon. Yeah, *cry*, I know. I live in the middle of PHILADELPHIA and ATLANTIC CITY. Two KICK-ASS cities that would be GREAT for a convention. What's Rhode Island have again? Family Guy references?

I have over five-hundred Transformers, a handful of Prototypes, and a few holy grails. I've been a fan ever since I was -TWO- when my sister gave me an Astrotrain figure. Twenty-three years later, going on twenty-four, that very same Astrotrain is beat to shit sitting atop my tallest shelf. I've been down with this toy-line my whole life. At times I fealt its what I lived for.

But now? Im starting to doubt that. I like completeness in things. Thanks to Hasbro's strategies, I have holes in my Alternators collection. That's three shy from completion, and now my Classics line will never be completed. Hopefully they'll at least release all of the movie figures around here. I never even saw Alternators Jaguar (XKR), Camshaft, or Rumble. Never.

Maybe I just didn't get enough sleep last night - or maybe this is how I really feel?

~Z

2. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh...this again. I was hoping this was done now that Botcon is over. Or, at least done until next year's Botcon.

[​IMG]

There ya go.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    When Hasbro decided to let FP make the last three Seekers Botcon Exclusives, they thought the line was dead, and that they would never have the chance to make any more mass retail Classics. Because of the success of Botcon this year, they have decided to continue the line under the Transformers Univers name. I personally don't see exclusives as part of any "line", but just as an option to add to that line. There have been numerous threads like this, lol. I just hope this one doesn't turn into a battle over wether or not Hasbro can release the last three Seekers at mass retail or not.

4. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

It's a rant, yeah. I'm a lousy person, I guess. Maybe someone out there will at least find it entertaining. At least it's not one of the whiny rants. Ya dont see me bitchin about not being able to afford the exclusives. I just refuse to pay $500 for something that is a toy and is brand new. At least my Jap TFs are classics and from across the world.

It looks to be about $1000 for all of the BotCon exclusives on eBay. Yeah, I CAN afford that, but I REFUSE to pay it. Instead Im rebuilding a 1988 Monte Carlo SS for my mother. I think she's way more important than collecting. And I kinda see your point, Raven. If Hasbro releases the last of the Seekers, maybe a Sam's pack or somethin, all the people who paid oodles for em might bitch. Hell, I would. I bitched when they released Black Convoy as Scourge for RID. I paid $130 for mine at a comic shop, and then a few months later, he was on US shelves with an extra decal for $24.99. Or I could've gotten the Korean one for like $40, which is the same as the Japanese one. Oh well.

~Z

5. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    If you were going to spend that much cash on two other toys you certainly had (at least at some point) the cash to get off your couch and attend a social event where the exclusive transformers would have been sold for considerably less.

Hasbro isnt screwing anyone, at least this time. Fans organize the show and Hasbro is nice enough to show their support by offering exclusive products to the collectors who go. If they made any of the exclusives available to everyone it would, you know, kinda defeat the purpose.

Also, if anything, it's the collectors who are setting the price for these, not Hasbro. If you dropped $500 plus for 2 figures what surprises you about having to spend as much for other toys that were going to be that rare?

Oh and unlike being shot or stabbed, believe me, you'll live after this.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ooohhh.....sweet car. I hope it turns out well for you and your mother.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Each of the issues you have listed sound like egocentric problems which could easily be ameliorated with a bolstered handling of finances.

Hasbro, honestly, doesn't care what your personal problems are. They care about profit, which they can generate by saturating the market with Transformers movie products.

8. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In before lock

9. rid

rid Well-Known Member

I fail to see why this is Hasbro's fault. If anything, blame the sellers. Or better yet, blame the buyers. The buyers are driving the prices up. If there's no demand, the prices would drop faster then a cement block.

And while we're on the topic, why would someone feel forced to buy anything is beyond me. If the price is right, buy it. If not spend the money on something worthwhile. Buy a gift for a loved one. Go get a fancy dinner. Take a trip. Donate the money. But that's just my opinion...

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Oh GOD, not again.
    Classics was dead when the Botcon exclusives were decided on (which was somewherein the region of a YEAR ago). There never WAS going to be a release in stores of those figures. You say you could easily afford to get the Botcon exclusives, but you refuse to? OH NOES. You live IN the US. I crossed the Atlantic to get them, and hang out with a lot of very nice people. In fact, I've now managed to do that 4 times, and pretty much on a shoestring. So if you don't have the exclusives, blame yourself and not Hasbro. They put them out there, right near you, and you didn't even bother trying You have NO room to moan about it NOW.

And you think you're hard done by because you can't walk into a store and get 3 figures? Try MOST OF EVERY LINE SINCE BEAST WARS! Other countries don't get a lot; Germany in particular gets next to nothing. The UK got passed over on most of the Alternators line, most of Beast Machines, A large chunk of Armada, Energon and Cybertron, ALL of Universe, and we STILL don't have a lot of Classics.

So, let's break this down, shall we?
    Do you have to import regular figures?
    No.
    DO you have to pay exorbitant import prices for them?
    No.
    Do you have to import store exclusive from scalpers?
    No.
    DO I think you're working out how DAMN lucky you are yet?!?
    NO.
    I swear, American collectors really don't know they're BORN.

So stop whining, continue picking up figures in stores at good prices, and leave the being PO'd about having to pay ridiculous markups to every other country on the planet. Yeesh.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Wow, didn't expect this subject to resurface on these forums again.

And I'm not being sarcastic either: I really didn't expect to see this given a whole new thread given how resoundingly nasty the last one got.. I sense a 'padlock' icon is on it's way!

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Not that debate again...

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Dont worry, Consider it this way, the conehead jets were never all that popular anyway. Just ignore Ramjet then that gets rid of a 'need' for Thrust and Dirge.

Hasbro already gave us Starscream and Skywarp, and I believe some talented kitbashers are doing commisions for Thundercracker anyway.

Bug-bite and Dreadwind were never very recognisable characters, so they could be easily stricken from Classics.

I have a feeling in a few months nobody that wants Classics Seekers that badly will be without them, either through commisioned Kitbash or Ebay.

Best not to dwell on it.

But if you must, think of it this way.
    Hasbro gave the US everything released at retail for classics.

Hasbro UK gave us Minicons, Loc's Deluxes minus Astrotrain, The 2 -2-packs, and Wave 1 + 2 Voyagers.
    Do we get Mirage, no.
    Do we get Grimlock, no.
    Do we get Ramjet, no.
    Do we get Devastator, no.
    And on top of that, they give it to us at double US price.

I think people buying from Hasbro US get a very sweet deal compared to elsewhere.

EDIT: All of Draven's post = QFMFT!

14. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    :horse:  :banghead: 

15. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

On a side note, nice choice in a car to restore. I had an 87 MC SS Aerocoupe in high school before I sold it for my 72 Monte. Good luck with it.

16. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    How dare you re-mark rhode island!

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Hasbro Headquaters. A tour of which was included in Botcon. And seeing as you live so close AND claim to have money enough to go...then you should have gone.

The Seekers were available to everyone, whether they went or not, for the same static price when they were sold officially. And they were made to celebrate this years Botcon and thank the fans who were either attending Botcon or supporting it from afar. The other exclusives were a more specific way to thank the fans who did show by giving them a chance to buy some very rare items for a set price, as well as giving one away completely free.

It's not Hasbro selling the Botcon exclusives after market for $1000 total, that's other fans. Hasbro sold all the exclusives at the same price to everyone, giving the same chance to everyone to get them. They're done with those exclusives now and will *never* see another single cent of profit from their existence again. And even if they did have a few remaining sets, they would be sold through the fanclub for a similar price they were offered at originally.

If Hasbro were really as greedy as you, and many others similar to yourself had stated, they would have milked these exclusives for every cent they could, and then once they were all sold out, turned around and started selling mass produced versions in retail shops. THAT would be a big 'Eef You' to the fans who attended Botcon, or even supported it from afar, as they were supposed to be given special, exclusive figures in return. But Hasbros not doing that, instead they're doing exactly what people have wanted for the past few months and that's bringing back a line that was never intended to come back. And it's not the first time they've done that.

18. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Would I have liked to buy all the seekers...yes
    Is it Hasbro's fault that I never made it to the con, No.

I hear you on the exclusives, I hate them, but some times you just got to let the balloon go. It is not worth it.

19. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I've never seen an Alt Jaguar XKR either. There is an XK however.

20. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Thanks RI is alot more than gay family guy jokes!