To KO or to go for the real deal

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I have been wanting a full set of Dinobots for some time now and I am torn. Should I hunt for a original G1 set or should I get a KO.

Up to this point I have avoided original G1s. I just like the figure to be minty fresh. But I did buy one original devastator and one original Omega Supreme from some great sellers on here. When I got both figures, for whatever reason it was instant love. The figures were really damn close to minty fresh. It is great when a figure that is 25 years old is clean and owned by a great owner.

So the question is, how hard is it to hunt down some original dinobots in really good shape and how much money do you think it would cost me. I am pretty close to pulling a deal with a seller on here for the KO Dinobots for $215 for the whole 5 pack. I am just waiting to get some more bday money.

So what route would you guys recommend?

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dinobots are not that expensive when you buy them loose and missing a couple of accessories:2c: 

I'd buy the originals, easy. You know, you could answer a lot of these questions yourself just buy using ebay.

search G1 Dinobots, click advanced, show completed listing and BAM

G1 Dinobots | eBay

Now, you don't have to create a thread every time you wanna complain about prices:thumbs2: 

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well no complaints here. I am just wondering both sides, and I prefer buying from users on here anyway. Ebay stuff can be hit and miss. The stuff from here is always spot on.

Sometimes people also give good advice and lead you in the right direction and stuff, so I like to hear what they say.

Not sure where you got complaining about prices in this thread at all.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I got the four grounded Dinobots vintage and mint, so it's not too hard. I was never able to find a good Swoop though. They all either had broken beaks or severe chrome wear. When I did find a mint one, it was still sealed and the guy wanted $400 for it. I ended up getting the KO swoop. In fact, t800pro over on ioffer.com has the 5 pack for only like $150. That's the cheapest way to get them minty. Plus the quality is on par with the originals.

5. mjcrow

mjcrow Well-Known Member

It sounds like you might regret it if you bought the ko's, since you like the genuine figures more. If it were me I would just save up the $$$ and get the G1's.

6. Alucard77

News Credits:
    So you think the KOs are just as good as originals? That is good to know. I heard hit and miss stories on them. Like with Swoop in specific. But that is good to know.

How long did that hunt for the minty ones take you? Did you go ebay route or on here or flea markets and such?

I was going to go with iOffer at first, but $215 shipped and the guy already has them is also kinda comforting. This way I know that there is not anything really wrong with the figure. Plus how much is shipping?

Nah, I won't regret it. I have some KO's now. I got shockwave as a KO and a Devastator set for my Crazy Devy part. I just think the original have some sense of history to them which could all be psychological. I couldn't put my self up to crazy devying my Original set of constructicons. That is why I went KO.

7. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Real vs kOs all the time. Look how expensive the KO Dinobots go for, might as well save up for the real figures. There are plenty of original Dinobots out there they were common. Swoop a little harder to get complete and not broken.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    All the ones I have seen, granted I have looked to hard had questionable chrome wear. That is the main thing I am trying to avoid. Strong joints and no chrome wear is the key really. If those are abundant, than that is something to think of.

How much do those run, low/high range?

9. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

chrome wear is a problem with all old figures the more wear the cheaper the figure if you set it on a shelf just right normally you cant tell until your upclose my grimlocks chrome is decent but has flaking and a few bigger spots of missing paint but with the way the light is in my room it still refelects

10. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

That might be hard to find prefect chrome, I got all mine almost 11 years ago when you were able to cherry pick the good ones, they are out there just keep trying.

11. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator

News Credits:
    I've had luck searching through lots on ebay and messaged the seller to send me closer pics when I see swoop was able to get 20 g1-g2 transformers for the price it would have cost me to get a g1 swoop in that condition with complete weapons (lucked out there).

12. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Quality wise, yes. They are as good as the originals. Some of them ( Snarl especially ) have darker clear plastic on the head. Also, make sure you get the second run of Swoop. The first one had looser joints and the face wasn't painted.

I kinda got lucky on the Dinobots. A friend of mine was at church when a family there had a whole box of Transformers their son had as a kid. He had a bunch of minty toy. I got a mint Grimlock out of the deal since he already had one. Then I found an auction on eBay for a pair of Dinobots. Slag and Snarl minty for $50. Sludge I got from a local comic shop when they bought a collection.

13. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The KO dinobots are of good quality, so if it's about price I would go for that. I have one and it blends in nicely with my (G2) dinobots. Not in color, but in quality.

14. Alucard77

News Credits:

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly why I like to make posts like this, cause you always get such great information.

I will ask the seller if he knows if his is run 1 or run 2. His are still in box, is there any way to tell if it is run 1 from being in the box alone?

15. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Swoop's beak is clear, so I think the face is slightly visible through the plastic. You have to look REALLY hard though to see iirc. It's been a while since mine was MISB. I opened it up when I first got it, a good two years ago.

16. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Go for the KO. I personally got the KO Scourge and other than the pink decepticon symbol you coudnt tell the diference.

17. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I disagree. Even though the Dinobots are ace, Scourge was not. He is very noticeably a knock off compared to the original. The lighter grey paint for one, and the blue sticker on top of the boat mode instead of paint.

18. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it was me, I would get the KO's. But I would just keep them inside the package, for fear they might break.

19. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

Will you still want the Dino's if a 3rd party does a new version of them? the TFC ones we've seen haven't thrilled me, but a 5 man dinobot team release seems like low hanging fruit for all the new 3rd party groups now. I will personally be letting that run its course instead of picking up the G1's.

20. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Go with the originals. If for anything, its the moral choice.