to get a grail or not to get a grail

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dolza_Khyron, Apr 12, 2006.

?

get it or not?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

recently, one the normal places i buy my transformers from, has gotten my holy grail *the top of my list in fact* transformer, Optimus Prime G1, with the metal plates in the trailer, and such, for the most part it is perfect, but, the trailer door is broken on one tab *driver's side, i believe* it's $115 *if i'd get it though, i would probably get a few other things too from this guy, on the account of, for a while i was unable to buy transformers, due to the lack of funds, with me going to college and such, but now i finally have the funds to waste* :D  *very good feeling*

it's $115, complete, like C9 or something like that, no box, loose, but it is broken on the trailer door.

so basically, i just want advice, should i go a head and get it? or should i wait a bit longer? would it be worth it to buy it even though it has a broken part? even though the rest is fine? thank you all for your help in advance.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    man, I've got one that I fixed the tab on, and I'd sell it to ya for a hundred. that's a pretty poor deal, I would think. that was already a grail of mine, so I got a loose one that was broken, and fixed the back. so then I got in a bid war for a boxed one and paid 250. again, these are the gray roller, metal plates ones. I don't think that with all of the reissues that primes are that much, or that the metal plates are that high in demand. if you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find one on ebay that's not broken. just keep your eyes open for the gray roller, a good sign that it's got the metal plates.

3. Dolza_Khyron

well here's my big question, is the back door the same as the normal verison?

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

That speciffic aspect i'm not sure about. However there may be color differences between the plate and non plate versions(?)

5. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Not 100% sure, but I don't think so.

If you have a look at Fred's Workshop page on Prime variants he mentions that the molding is completely different.
    http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vprime.html#silverroller

Your best bet is contacting someone with both versions of Prime. Fred's Workshop and Elvin Pena come to mind.

6. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    i voted no and here's why. you should be able to get any of the reissues for roughly what you're already willing to pay. get yourself a new minty unbroken g1 prime. nothing broken is worth $100 plus to me. that's my opinion though.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Thing is, this is a very early Prime; early ones had the trailer flashes as a piece of metal instead of a sticker; this metal was also the "sticker" details on the inside of the trailer.
    Personally, I wouldn't pay $100 for it if it's broke, unless you can get the bits to repair it. And, as NotoriousBIC pointed out, the trailer parts are slightly different on the metal one.

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

i would try to work on the price since you can not get the metal trailer version in any reissue....

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At first glance I would have said yes, always get a grail if you can. Then seeing the price for it I would've said no, since you could probably get a complete G1 Prime for well under $100 if it's loose. But then all this metal trailer plate stuff came up... if that's as rare as it sounds, go for it. Maybe you can find a junker trailer to borrow pieces from or something?

10. Dolza_Khyron

does any one here HAVE this optimus prime and maybe a standard prime? i'd like to know for sure or not, if the back trailer door is any different from the standard, i would suspect that is, and if so, then i will not get it, if it is the same, then i think it will be worth it to get it.

11. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Buy the prime then get a junker trailer to fix the hinge or order the repair parts from www.transrepro.com

12. Dolza_Khyron

it's not the hinge if it was the hinge i wouldn't even be thinking about it, it is the door it self that is broken, not the hinge, also, i concider repo's a form of knock offs, and i do not want to mix my holy grail, with knock off parts. but thanks for the advice, also, i am not sure if the hinge is the same hinge on both trailers or not, any how.

it is the clip on the door that is broken, not the hinge. the part that clips to the sides of the trailer in trailer mode.

13. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    I meant clip :redface2: 

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    oh, yeah, I've got them both. same door as far as I can tell. but by the way, I think it's been determined that transrepro is out of commission, perhaps for good, because of the health of it's owner. :( 

15. Dolza_Khyron

oh no!!!!! well i wish him luck!

and i've decided on basically, spoiling myself with a huge haul lol *have never done it, so why not now, plus it was just my birthday anyways *yesterday* so why not now? :D 

16. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    I was just on there this afternoon...

17. Dolza_Khyron

doesn't mean it's not true, poor guy. now i feel bad about what i said earlier, though i still see it as knock off parts, unless you get the costume parts of course! :D 

18. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Just buy a junker trailer for $5 or $10 and fix it yourself

19. Dolza_Khyron

that's what i'm thinking, too, but i just want to know if it will work, or if i need to buy a junk metal trailer? i mean this optimus prime, has more then 5 or 6 differences, everything is different, the inners, the details, the size of the parts, even the smoke stacks are different.

current thoughts of what my haul is *subjected to change though*

Dirge, Thrust, tracks *european verison* Arcee *energon* Ultra Magnus battle in a box, Skywarp *US reissue*, Big convoy, Optimus prime *the one mentioned in this thread of course* and Superion. all for $401, just thought people might want to know, and yes, i will try to get pictures up for you all!

with the last 3 jets, Dirge thrust and Skywarp, i will finally have all of them, in a complete set, :D  so i could not pass those up, :lol 

would i be paying a fair price for these? or am i paying too much? thoughts?

20. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say you're getting too much of a deal on those, however I really don't know what the going rate is for the seekers anymore, nor do I know what the difference is with the european tracks. if anything, you're paying too much, since I'm pretty sure superion can be had for 80 or less, and big convoy I heard usually goes for around 35.