To everyone who cried "Beepocalypse..."

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MisterFanwank, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    While I cannot know if this is true for other places around the country, I have a feeling my situation mirrors most other places.

See, before Christmas Bumblebee was clogging the shelves at most of my local retailers.

After Christmas I can only find one or two at any location. Most of the DotM stock as been wiped out. What was once an unsalable mass of stock has been reduced to a mere piddling of what it once was and the Bumblebees have been annihilated.

See, Hasbro knows what it's doing. Everything has been in preparation for the Christmas season. This happens every year and somehow a large number of people here always forget it. We're not flooded with Bumblebees, they SOLD. They sold like hotcakes that sell well.

Everyone who complained about the Bumblebees and predicted they would be an inescapable mass until they all got shunted to the discount chains, please, pay attention to this! I am going to be so damned disappointed in you guys if you forget what happened this time and start complaining again next year. If I see any of that again next year, I'm going to reply with a snarky comment and link to this thread. The shame will be unbearable and you will probably need to go to a shrink to learn how to deal with it.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

2. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

Here, it's a primeocalypse.

Walmart excluisve primes in the hundreds. ...even AFTER xmas

3. Zendai

Zendai Minicon Addict

Ive got Bumblebee clogging my shelves still.

4. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    @Stilettoheels:That's Walmart. Walmart sucks at selling Transformers.

Where I live there's a Target 4 blocks away from a Walmart. The Target's stock always moves really well. The Walmart's stock never moves.

@Zendai: I would appreciate it if you didn't throw facts in my indignant face. I prefer to be crotchety unopposed by reason.

5. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Nothing but damn Bumblebee Cyberglyph repaints and Voyager Optimus Primes in my neck of the woods.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    none were sold here, same amount on the same pegs and shelves, still haven't seen an ha roadbuster thanks to black bb

7. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

>_> You make it sound like this is new? It's been like that around alot of my walmart for awile

8. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Damnit. This thread is turning out all wrong. I must turn up the dial on my dismissal of your evidence to the contrary of my conclusion.

9. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Yuyu, if You want I can take pictures for you. =O

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    My TRU still has ROTF Ravage on the pegs, so I'm sitting here WISHING I had current pegwarmers!

11. Zendai

Zendai Minicon Addict

Okay, I'm sorry I guess I might have been confused with what I saw?

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think it's important to remember that the deluxes were put on sale for quite a while for $9.99, and then Target at least put them at $6.99. That coupled with the timing (Christmas) is what has depleted the stock. I think "selling like hotcakes" is just a bit unfair when discussing a toyline that has had stock sitting around since May.

I think DotM has sold decently well, but not as well as the previous two movie toylines. Then again, I don't think that the DotM toyline was handled as well as it could have been either. Transformers: Prime is about to open Season 2 as well, and we're just now getting the first wave of "first edition" of figures . . . .

13. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

The Targets around me were hit pretty hard and have been wiped out of their voyagers, their leaders, and most of their deluxes. The closest TRU looked like a disaster with barely a TF in sight.

The Wal-marts still seem to have a lot of deluxes after Christmas (most of it was the exclusive Prime) and Cyberverse sets.

I've seen plenty of ALL the HAs as of late.

14. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yea my local Wally World had a bee plague prior to Christmas and all were sold after the hollidays. Now it's 25+ orange roadbusters... Perhaps they thought a blaze orange toy would sell well during deer season??? Kinda makes me wish for bee again at least there were was 3 different molds to look at instead of 1

15. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up a Ravage recently to paint. yes he's still here, Mudflap as well.

Over all stocks are a bit thinner and HA Roadbuster and Leader Ironhide FINALLY appeared on shelves here sometime in December. But not much has changed, and there's still PLENTY on BB to go around (still out number everything else on shelves in several stores around here).

What I haven't seen here, and probably won't see for quite a while is Prime toys. This is exactly why I ordered Cliffjumper of BBTS.

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    DOTM Deluxe Bees, all variants are almost extinct in our country, I guess the 50% clearance helped.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I dunno what you're talking about- BB is the new Tuner Mudflap in my store.

18. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im still hoping Walmart knocks down the price on those BB leaders that are clogging shelf space. For $20 Id pick one up. lol.

19. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    I was both hoping my situation reflected large parts of the rest of the country and in the mood to make a silly topic.

20. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I'll agree it was planned well, retailers had enough bumblebee to meet the demand. But they would'nt have to do case assortments like this if the Transformers media supported other characters more fairly.
    The live action movie was mega popular. Kids see it and see Bumblebee and Optimus prime primarily as the Heroic Autobots. Therefore they are the most popular toys.

Transformers media needs to provide a balanceing act when used to sell toys in how it rounds screen time and character development.

Maybe it does'nt work out that way precisely. But I do feel the irresponsibility of paramount has forced hasbro to analyze how to make the most to fill the demand. Even by shortpacking figures that jive with collectors. Then again. When the retailers order the same case over and over again for months. The collector loses faith in wave 4 or 5 from that store. I'd say its fair like the cycle to be 90 days from wave to wave. Not that hasbro has any control over what retailers order. There were good toys for fans of the products in dark in the moon. But it feels like it took a lot longer than it should have and fans of the sub characters or offscreen characters had to dig deep and push through the trenches on and offline to get to completionist levels. More than usual.

Perhaps that's a sign that dark of the moon may have only had a sales spike consistently while the movie was in theaters and during the last few weeks of the Christmas/Holiday rush.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012