To Ebay Sellers: Don't reuse USPS postal boxes... Apparently it's Illegal!?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mega-Prime, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seriously... WTF?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/16072154/detail.html

I've had plenty of Ebay sellers ship stuff to me in USPS boxes that had been turned inside out.

I hope this doesn't mean we'll start seeying more packages "go missing" IE: sent back to the seller.

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's an annoying rule, but the Post Office (at least around here) has disclaimers in the lobby, and if you ever order Priority Mail supplies you have to agree to only use the materials for their intended shipping method.

Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal. The post office has rules and this is one that's been around a long time. He's likely not the first to have this happen, just one of the few to sensationalize it. It reminds me of people I know who used send non-media items Media mail, which is subject to inspection. When they had their items returned they acted as if it wasn't their fault. :rolleyes: 

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The post office hates the environment.

4. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    It does seem kind of silly, but USPS does offer these supplies for free as an incentive to use their Priority Mail service (or Express if that's the case). Essentially, the "free" boxes are subsidized by the fees associated with Priority or Express and it's just the way they choose to promote their product.

That said, I often reuse Priority boxes, but I always use Priority for shipping. There is still no problem with doing that.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

This is pretty old news. They're not sayinig you can't reuse Priority Mail boxes, just that you can't turn them inside out (hence hiding the Priority Mail logos) and then use them to ship Parcel Post. I guess the price of Priority Mail subsidizes the cost of making all those "free" boxes, and if you use the boxes but don't pay for the proper mail format they're taking a loss. You could make the argument that they've already made the money back once it has been shipped once of course, but they have no way of knowing whether or not a particular box has been reused, and people grabbing huge armfuls of free brand new shipping boxes DOES happen, I've seen it.

6. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Reiter = Douche

7. nic28

nic28 warrior

once the boxes get to you. you can use them anyway you want if i use a priority mail box i either turn it inside out or wrap it up in brown packing paper that beats paying the $3.95 they charge just for using a priority mail box.

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I've gotten inside out ones, whether reused or sneaky first-time use, and I've done it myself on occasion. Usually though, it's because I need a really small box and I'll cut the small Priority box in half and refold/tape into a small brown box that you can't tell used to be a Priority box. But then I usually mail the tiny box Priority anyway, so it all comes out in the wash.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Eh. I can understand the concern about people jacking free boxes.

But big picture, you'd think it saves them money via reuse.

10. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, if in doubt just wrap it in brown mailing paper/craft paper.

11. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's what the dude in the article did too,

12. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I re-use the priority mail boxes rather often, but then I only mail domestically using priority so yeah...

But I work in a grocery store, so I just as often will use a box from there if the size is right. I just hate to see them wasted.

13. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Wow... just when you think people can't get any more stupid. *shakes head* the USPS disappoints me, yes.