To Dust, or Not to Dust

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Sunday I spent the afternoon dusting off all the shelves in my room. I also spent the time with the air-compressor dusting off all near 88 TF's.
    Some of my smallest ones, like my Minibots, and my WST's, I decided not to bother dusting.

I just simply want to know from you guy's, what do you pay attention too, and what do you leave alone when it comes to your figures? Who's worth the efforts and who's not? Who gets the royal treatment and who gets left alone?
    Who, why? etc'.

Should they all get dusted whenever you do major room cleaning?

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I'm not really sure. I don't have the proper dusting tools to dust them without damaging them..but not dusting them will eventuall lead to scratches etc as well, I believe.

I blow on them sometimes...

3. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I transform mine regularly, each toy doesn't spend much more than a few days on a shelf, so I don't bother to dust.

Sorry, I can't help you, I'm just really not a duster kind of guy.

4. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have a double door bookcase that i put my main stuff and rare expensive stuff in to prevent dusting. i have 3 open bookcases that use to ahve to get dusted all the time when i lived in a place with hard wood floors because of the pets.

now my new place has carpet so i dont have to as much now. but its good practice because when they get really dusty it just looks bad and gross.

also if you take those swiffer pads for dry vaccuuming and place them under each shelf it will help to trap dust and prevent some going to your figures.

canned air sometimes doesnt get all the dust off, just surface dust so i use a make up brush and works great cause its small and soft and wont move or break parts on my figures.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    the ones who are "worth the effort" will be in my glass cases. The ones that are easy to dust, I blow them off every year or so via air blower.

A side pick: I HATE it when people ship their transformers sold to me without dusting them.

6. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

To dust.

For me there's nothing worse than a cluttered and dusty mess. Dusty shelves can make anything look like shit. Get a Swiffer and take the twenty minutes a week it takes. If you keep up with it, it's pretty damn easy. If you let it go for six months it because a dirty pain in the ass.

7. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Ditto, and that goes for anything else used I buy. Dusty and/or dirty items piss me off. Argh!

8. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Interesting topic... I dust my shelve where my figures are every Saturday morning, meaning every week. I pull each figure one by one and use compressed air to clean them, then use pledge for the shelve and place them back. My masterpieces and rares are in the glass shelves so I don't clean those as they are perfectly away from the dust environment. Like the other guys say, there's nothing great to see a dusty shelve with your most valuable precious items..

9. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    That's brilliant! How do you do that? Like, tack them onto the underside, so they're above the figures?

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't dust. I clean them off before I take pics of them however. So they get cleaned every few months.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I don't really dust, though I wish I could. It's just too much of a hassle, and in my place it builds up so quickly (old building, 2 cats, I guess?), that I'd be dusting everywhere all the time. As it is, I'm barely staying ahead of the dust in the more "public" areas of the apartment.

I also wish glass-door shelves were more affordable, because that would help... but I've got a lot of stuff, and I don't really use storage bins because I subscribe to the philosophy that if it's not on display somewhere, why own it? Consequently, they get dusty.

Basically the only time I really dust off a toy is if I'm actually picking it up to fiddle with it. Generally a few stout blows will clear the dust, though every now and again, you find one that hasn't been touched in an age, and it has that clingy grimy dust that you really have to wipe away with a cloth or something. Bleah.

Interesting to hear some other collector's solutions... it's something we all deal with, but it rarely seems to get discussed. :) 

zmog

12. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah you can take some tacks and pin them up there or get some really strong double sided tape.

13. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They get a dry cloth/tissue wipeover every couple of weeks or so if I have time.

14. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Autobot

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I dust my shelves and clean my figures every 2 months or so since where my collection is doesnt gather much dust. For my figures I use a soft cloth with a small amount of cleaning solution. Shelves I just use a swiffer.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Dust your shelves. I don't care if there are toys or not, or how rare or not anything is. That's just gross.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    With all the figures I have sitting around I don't dust as often as I should but I'll regularly grab a figure or two to fiddle with and give them a quick dust at the same time. Usually that in rotation is enough to keep the figures themselves halfway decent clean. Of course I do have to do a full dust every now and then so the surfaces they're stood on get a clean. My girlfriend has dust allergies so it's only really when she's out of the country I let the layers settle.

For the act of dusting I just use a two inch household paintbrush. Not really any particuar reason why I chose that size - it was just to hand when I wondered how good it would be for toy-dusting and now it lives in the desk drawer for when I need it. I find the bristles are long enough to get into most cracks and crevices and are stiff enough to do a good job but not so harsh they scratch the figure.

17. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

:lol 

I agree. I'm not sure why "not dusting," which basically means "don't clean your house," is an option regardless of collectibles.

18. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I wipe mine down every few months. I rotate which ones I keep on my shelf since display space is limited. Usually when I rotate them I just clean them up before putting them in my storage bin. I tend to display them in alt mode and my 5 year old nephew loves to wash toy cars... so that is a big plus. If he is getting ready for bed I will casually mention how dirty my robots are and like clockwork here he comes with a towel.

I do keep a select few figures out permanently in robot mode. These tend to be the bigger pain in the ass to clean. This thread has got me thinking of how I can enclose my shelf. They're in a room that does not see heavy traffic at least but they still get nasty.

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dust and vacuum my home pretty frequently, I have to because I have pugs, and they shed about triple their body weight everyday :lol .

I display most of my toys in cabinets so they do not need to be dusted too often since they are pretty much sealed away. When I do dust them though, I dust everything, even the little energon cubes that came with the TFC Insecticons.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I leave my hair and skin flakes where the hell ever.