To DS or not to DS...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omnius, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi folks,

I know a good few people on here have DSs, so maybe you can help me out...

I'm toying with the idea of getting a DS - I see a lot of games that majorly appeal to me (TF of course, Mario Kart DS, Sonic Rush Adventure). Yet... When I go into my local Woolies or HMV or Game, I see a lot of 'WTF?!' titles - you know, games about training horses, being a vet or winning a court case, Dogz, Soduku, things like that... I mean, I like unusual games - I played Chu Chu Rocket to death on the Dreamcast, then the GBA, and I go for innovative gameplay over flashy graphics anyday (which put me off the PSP), but a lot of DS titles seem a bit too... strange.

It got even weirder today in HMV I saw Cake Mania. A baking game. What the fu...

Seeing titles like this leaves me torn - is a DS worth getting? Are there enough good titles out there to justify the spending, or is the platform deluged with, well, girly stuff? I've got a ton of GBA games, which I understand will play on DS, but I have a GBA Mk1 for those...

Opinions and recommendations welcome please!

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The thing about seeing games you don't like the thought of is that you don't have to buy or play them. Its not like they're going to pollute your personal library of games. They're just a sign that the system appeals to a wider userbase. You answered your own question here:
    That's all you need to worry about.

3. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is out this Tuesday.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some of the really weird stuff is actually the best ones. Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, Brain Age, etc are really great.. But also look out for stuff like the vet hourse, Sudoku only type games. Those are usually crap.

I got a DS around christmas and end up playing it almost everyday. I go toy hunting early and sit in my car and play something like Brain Age to keep myself busy for 30 minutes. Also recently got NY Times Crossword. It is nice. Play real NYT crossword puzzles. Over 1000 inside. Good little time killer.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

For weird, different games, I'd also recommend Osu!Tatakae!Ouendan!, Elite Beat Agents and Moerro Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Ouendan 2. All 3 are insanely addictive and great fun. 2 are Japanese titles but the DS isn't region specific and the gameplay is simple enough that any understanding of Japanese whatsoever isn't required.

6. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Get it! I remember when it came out I thought the touch screen was another Nintendo gimmick that would be crap. I played with demo models and fell in love. ended up getting one for Chrstmas from my wife. I think at the moment for me, it is the best system I have, and hooked up at the moment is a 360, PS2, Wii, Gamecube and Dreamcast. Plus I have a PSP sitting on the side. I wouldn't hesitate due to weird games. I love the little guy and am glad I got it.

7. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Everyone in my place gone apeshit over Cooking Mama.

8. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The DS is a must-have. The reason you see a lot of oddity games is because none were possible before the DS came out because of the touch screen's abilities. There's a huge number of oddball titles because the system itself is oddball, developers want to see what they can do with it to create a fun game. There are a lot of games like that, but then again there's the Castlevania series, Mario Kart, New Super Mario and Mario 64 DS, Pokemon Diamond/Silver, and tomorrow (technically today) you've got a Zelda game coming out which is always a rock solid title. So there's plenty of games for the more normal down-to-earth gamer, but don't dismiss those new style games like Nintendogs, a lot of them turn out to be a lot of fun. (Just avoid the ones that sound bad like those pony and cat-raising games, if you're raising an animal, it's a Nintendogs knockoff cause that game sold a few million copies)

Oh, and don't knock the court case game, Phoenix Wright is an awesome game, heavy on the addiction factor.

9. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Oh yeah if you youtube "drawn to life", there are many people LOVE to drawn "schlongs" in that game, and trust me, drawing has never been this fun before that game comes along.

10. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm you guys are doing a good job of selling the DS to me. Even if the weirder stuff leaves me cold, there's still plenty of more conventional games I would enjoy regardless, as flamepanther points out, and some of these more 'leftfield' titles are intriguing enough to pique my interest now that people have described them a bit more.

Ah nuts to it, I just got paid. It's a DS and TF: Decepticons for me! :D 

11. gil

gil Godmaster

Oddball games that I personally think you should look at:

Picross- Awesome brain teaser game. And if I never caught the IGN review, I would never have got it.

and

Meteos (1st one)- puzzle game using the stylus. I played this game nonstop to get all the different worlds.

Also, as mentioned earlier, a lot of oddball games on the shelf just means more choices, and you don't have to buy them if you choose not to. I'm pretty sure you got a Gameboy and I don't think you picked up the Lizzy McGuire games. These oddball game on the DS is the same thing. Buy what you want, not what's there just because it's there.

12. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I dont own a DS but I did play Hotel Dusk: Room 215, it's a noir mystery game.

13. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Picross is awesome! Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are both great. Just starting to get into Jam Sessions, but I don't know enough about guitar yet.

14. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

:) 

Buy the DS. You won't regret it.

Then BUY PHOENIX WRIGHT. Winning a court case was never this exciting!

15. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

the ds is great becaue it has everything from weird niche games to oldschool style stuff to newer mainstream games. it just has a good, big, inclusive library that has something for everyone. i've been playing etrian odyssey for the past couple of weeks... it's been a long time since i played an old pc-style rpg like that and i'm loving it. it's a friggin long game too, the only other ds game to last me a long time like that was pokemon diamond.

16. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

pheonix wright is awesome. shouting "OBJECTION!" on the bus is great for freaking people out.