To customize or not to customize?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Solrac333, Sep 7, 2012.

?

Should I paint the figures or not paint them?

1. Yes, I should paint.

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No, do not paint.

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I'm thinking of downsizing my collection. I have some classics and some movie figures that I think I will put on Ebay but before I do, I was wondering which types of figures are more desirable. Original factory painted figures or well painted customized figures?

And if I decide not to customize, sell them as a lot or one by one.

2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    IF you do paint them, I would paint them with regular play usage in mind; I would suggest using a really good aerosol primer, then 1 or 2 coats, no painted dirt nor painted ' battle damage'. And, if the plastic colour of some of the moving/chafing parts, doesn't stand out too much from the paintjob, I'd say leave it unpainted. This way you can sell a really nice looking custom for a higher price than stock, but still very much playtime ready for your customer.

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Unless you are above average at painting and customizing, you should leave them. Most people want stock toys.

4. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:

This. If you were at a level where people would pay more for customs, you'd probably know it. I've seen exceptional customs go for very little on ebay because it's not a desirable character, or no one was paying attention (the guys that really make money develop followings who are actively looking for the next thing they put up- and getting to that point takes them time).

If you think you might be up to it, paint one for shits and giggles, put it up and see what happens. Everybody's got to start somewhere.

But generally, the closer to stock the better.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Generally speaking, stock toys are more desirable for a lot of reasons. That aside, I think if your goal is simply downsizing the collection, not altering figures will be the quickest way to do that as well.

I will say this: for figures that are extremely common, you may be better off customizing them. I'd recommend performing a completed eBay search to see which figures you'll get the least amount for. If you're not looking to quickly unload things, the "fodder" may be better served customizing. However, sometimes common figures are just that - customizing them may not add a whole lot of value to them, and it may not be worth your time and materials.

Also, Solrac333 is an accomplished artist, and his work can be see in many threads in Radicons Customs. I do think that caveiats this conversation here a little bit. I certainly think Solrac333 and his work can fetch a higher price tag for just about any custom work. Back to being general for a moment, a lesser known artist would probably be better off liquidating as much as possible, and perhaps customize a few for eBay auctions.

Also, in regards to the eBay auctions, this presupposed that shill bidding is not going on. I say that and certainly don't suspect that Solrac333 here has auctions that are guilty of it. However, shill bidding and customs auctions have been known to be associated with each other.

I hope that helps, and I wish you well!

6. Solrac333

Ebay:
    Very helpful, guys. Thanks. I think I'll just play it by ear. I'll go through my collection later and list out what I am going to part with and then decide to paint them. I DO paint them with play in mind because I transform them many times. If any parts chip or flake, I touch up. I don't normally do dirt or battle damage unless it's a commission request.

I appreciate that. There is definitely no shill bidding in my auctions. My customs do tend to finish on the low end. :(  Not great for me but good for the winners. And they all have loved what they got. :) 

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You're a good artist, man. You could add value to those figures if you customized them, but you'll have to decide what would be desirable as a custom and what ought to be liquidated.

8. Solrac333

Ebay:
    I did do a quick search for some of the figures on ebay. A lot just are not selling for very much. So I may paint them. Some I know will not be worth it the time.

9. Satomiblood

What exactly do you have?

I'd sell the Classics as-is since you can get a lot for them. Regarding the movie line, it really depends on what you're getting rid of. You could make some money off of the Movie 1 and ROTF leaders (not sure about DOTM). The deluxes could probably net you some extra cash if you repainted and modded them into different characters.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  10. Solrac333

Ebay:
    The ROTF bikes, the blue Blackout repaint (I can't remember his name), the movie conehead seekers, ROTF red and while Demolisher (I'll keep one of them), Classics white Astrotrain, Jazz, Wreck-Gar, Bumblebees...

I think the classics figures would be easy to repaint. The movie figures, some can be fodder, repainted, or sold to someone who maybe missed out on them.

11. Satomiblood

Shattered Glass Classics.

I know people go apeshit over those schemes and that particular branch of the mythos.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Or even Diaclone colors, for the appropriate figures.

Shoot, that doesn't even have to limit itself to Classics. Movie figures in the character's Diaclone colors could be awesome.

13. Satomiblood

Agreed on Diaclone, K.