To buy a G1 Predaking D-78 Takara Reissue or to wait?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mrclean08, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I am thinking of picking up a G1 Predaking D-78 Takara Reissue from a local seller for approx $300. Do you think I should hold off and wait if Takara/Tomy might release an Encore version?

[​IMG]

2. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

This reissue has skyrocketed in price since the movie came out, I see it go for 50-100% increase over its premovie price pretty consistently. Pretty crazy!

So I don't know if that means the price surely will come back down to earth sometime or if it will only go up more...no word on it being involved in Encore yet either, but it would be nice!

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think counting on an Encore release is an outside bet. Yeah, there's a chance, but given that they seem to be focusing on unreleased figures and movie characters, plus Predaking's relatively recent rerelease, I wouldn't hold my breath.

$300 is a little pricy,though. I'm betting if you give it a year, the price will drop or at least stabilize. I'd hold off on pulling the trigger.

4. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I am waiting for the price to stabilize as squirrelcar said. Theres pluses to doing that 1. Price may drop 2. Their maybe an Encore Release.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I would say the chance of an Encore version is slim at best, but like others have said I would wait anyway to see if you can get a better price on him.

6. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Keep checking eBay. I don't know if you're looking for an MISB giftset, but if not, there are MIB sets out there. I bought one in December for $140 by checking eBay and being patient. Good luck!

7. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it's possible that it may very well get re-released in the Encore line, but my opinion... if you have the money, and can afford it, you may want to consider going ahead with the purchase...

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Buy this one and then give it to me.

9. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Hold off, it may take a little while but you can get it for cheaper on ebay.

10. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

It was retail about 200$ when re-issued. I seriously doubt you will see an Encore of a Re-issue within the next 5 years.

300$ doesn't seem even close to bad...

11. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People said MP-04 would come down after the movie hype, and we all know how that turned out. If they did do another run of MP Prime (which seems unlikely since it came out of Japan and they had to put MP-02 on clearance)
    then we might see his price drop, but they dont really have a market for it.

I'd wait on Predaking anyway, not because I dont like him, but because he might show up on the junk exchange for 100 less when someone needs the money to buy a house/car/female companion. :lol 

12. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

$300 is insane, sorry. Sure, he is expensive, but you can get a better deal if you wait, or like another poster said, go for a MIB set.

13. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

I'm doing the same at the moment. Plus I'm using all my funds at the moment for my MP-04 purchase from BBTS. (They have a pre-order for him for $250.00 which is still quite expensive but better than what the nutjobs are willing to pay for him on Ebay). As for why Prime didn't come down in price, well Prime is pretty iconic, and the movie has only increased his profile with the general public. Only the more hardcore Transformer fans really know who Predaking is. Plus Masterpiece Prime with the Trailer, is arguably the best Transformer ever made.

14. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't believe I passed it up when I could get it for $90 + shipping.
    I wasn't interested in reissue TFs at all back then :(  Now I'd love Predaking but it's way out of my reach.

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd buy it. I can't see it going below $250 for a MISB one. Sure you may be able to wait and score one off ebay for less, but then you have to take into account shipping which will bump it up anyway plus all the hassle. If you can get it locally, do it. Maybe try and make an offer to the place selling it. I always find when a good price on something comes around on something I want, I'm broke.

16. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

lol I was asking myself this very same question a couple days ago.

17. nkelsch

When was it 90$ + Shipping? It was retail like 180$ + Shipping. I can't imagine anyone selling it for 50% less what it retailed at. The Re-issue was metal parts too, so even if re-released today he would be much more expsenive than Omega Supreme, He would be at least 200$ now.

There wasn't a store able to ship to the US that was selling it for under 200$ at release. Don't buy this "Get it cheaper" because it never really was cheaper. 300$ is pretty good for a MISB set that went for 250$ out of the more expensive stores.

18. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's an awful lot of money for a reissue, even if it is sealed. I kind of feel you're better off looking for a loose complete G1 instead of this.

19. nkelsch

Think of it this way:

*A small autobot or seeker jet was 35$ish at TRU
    *Insecticon 3-pack which is small with small metal was 50$
    *Even the KO's are 70$ like Sharticon.

NOw take 5 LARGE transformers, all with significant metal parts, Add weapons and combiner doo-dads... 189.99$ is about 37$ per fig. That is what Shelf warmer issues like Dirge and Hoist went for in the store.

So I don't See why the original cost was so expensive. Also, Good luck for a loose. Predaking was one of the hardest figs to get complete loose before the re-issue. A Complete loose predaking easily went for 300$

Also look at what people are willing to pay. Lots of people on these boards make up a price on what they think it SHOULD be worth and then insult anyone who thinks it is worth more. If someone is willing to pay 300$ then that is the value until all the people willing to pay 300$ have one. The thing is, as supply goes down, price goes up. So I am not sure how waiting for a 2 year old reissue to be 5 years old will make it EASIER to get.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TRU Japan. It went down to around 9900yen. (I have a family there, so yes, I could have gotten it with cost + shipping, no mark ups.) Hope you weren't implying that I was making it up :) 

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008