To beat a dead horse? ... Decepticons?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Thepower911, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

I personally cannot see a Transformers Movie and Cartoon without Megatron, Starscream, and Soundwave. I really don't know how the writers, Hasbro and Michael Bay will handle this, since they kill them all :rolleyes2  . I know there are many other Decepticons to shed to light, but we have to think about the "general audience". Maybe its just me?

2. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

i'd rather have completley new characters be it a tf show or movie, its one of the reasons i love japanese g1 and japanese beast wars, no optimus prime or megatron

3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Well, Rescue Bots seems to be doing well enough with Decepticons. Better off, I'd say. Decepticons, while obviously an integral part of the franchise, are not the be-all, end-all of the franchise. They are a part. Merely a part. They managed to make four Spider-Man films without The Rhino, Electro, Kingpin, Carnage and many others (primary Spider-Man antagonists). Same thing can be applied to Transformers. If they wanted, TF4 could easily be about human terrorists using the remains of the Decepticons to build weapons and warsuits and whatnot. No need for Decepticon characters if they don't want.

And really, why would the "general audience" give a s**t if the main bad guy is Megatron, Jhiaxus, The Fallen, Sentinel Prime, Overlord or Jackoffatron? They don't care. To the "general audience", Megatron is as obscure a character as Overlord or Leige Maximo. They're merely the villain who wants to rule the planet and then gets killed by our good guys.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    The thing about beating a dead is that it won't feel the beating.

5. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

Rescue bots is doing "decent", of course not as good as Prime. Spiderman is a whole another category, Spiderman has many established mainstream villains. The main establish villains in "most" transformers series have been the same big four bosses.The general audience do tend to remember the villains quite well, all of my friends (which aren't big transformers fan) knew who Megatron and Starscream were and that's it. I'm sure Autobots hunting humans(terriosts) will turn out to be the best reviewed movie of 2014 :lol . Not trying to belittle your opinion, I'm just stating facts.

6. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "general audience" are edits.

7. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    I say use villains like TFP's MECH in TF4. Megatron, Starscream and whoever come back... Only controlled by humans this time around. Makes the younger kids happy....

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I never analyzed Starscream's death frame-to-frame. Was his head blown clean off?

Maybe there's a chance he can atleast come back, albeit with half-dead-brain-matter-Megatron syndrome.

9. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    Starscream's head was blown apart and his chest exploded along with his Spark.

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Please stop before eagc7 starts in again with his obsession over the big-name Decepticons....

11. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    "Facts" such as RB doing "decent" and "not as well as TFP"? I'm hearing a fraction of the complaining about RB as I am about TFP. In my opinion it's far better than TFP. Or that your two friends representing thousands and thousands of non-fans? :p 

It's inconsequential whether or not the general audience "remembers" Megatron and Starscream. They're dead. If they don't come back, I doubt the general audience will care. To them, Megatron is as obscure as any other character. They'll merely be waiting for the next round of bad guys. Just because the main bad guys in Transformers have usually been Megatron, Starscream, Shockwave, Soundwave, The Fallen, or Galvatron doesn't mean they all have to be. If they stuck with that same formula for everything, the franchise would get really boring really fast. Hence why there's literally dozens upon dozens of other Decepticon characters and plot points that they could use.

And nothing says that the Autobots would have to "hunt" human terrorists. The human terrorists could easily kill some of the Autobots and then have the story focus on the plan to deal with them, without the Autobots having to do the humans harm. That idea is basically showing that the film's antagonists don't have to be Decepticons.

And after all that, I too, am not trying to belittle your opinion. :)  If you can't see it working without those certain characters, that's fine. The only way to prove it (either way) would be to have it happen. You can't see it happening, I can. To each his own.

12. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

I understand and I am slightly bias because I'm Starscream Fan, but I'm sure whatever path they take, it will be "interesting".

13. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    I empathize with you as a Starscream fan, TP911. :)  Part of me wishes that TF4 would go the "eternal Starscream spark"-route, but I highly doubt they'd do it justice.

Yes, interesting. For better or for worse. :lol 

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    On the other hand, other than megatron and maybe cassette-player soundwave, most people don't remember decepticon characters, as they aren't as iconic as, say, Optimus Prime. There's a ton of people out there who remember their personal favorites or the toys they had as kids, but from a general audience perspective, one killer robot is as good as another, in a lot of ways. And that's sort of how they've approached the Decepticons in many respects, to the detriment of the films.

15. SlaveToLogic

SlaveToLogic Logic > Megatron

Megatron - Galvatron

Starscream - Ghost

Soundwave - Soundblaster

:) 

16. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I'd like them to bring a character that doesn't get much attention into the spotlight; Straxus, maybe?
    Human villains could work, but I think Hasbro would want them to keep with Decepticons, so they can sell more toys.

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Overlord.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If it was some form of Masterforce-using human beings as living engines-Overlord I would be hella down.

19. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    I think it'd be quite easy to have an evil, destructive, rampaging robot enemy. It's not like most had any personalities or memorable lines of some sort aside from Megatron, Starscream, Laserbeak, the Fallen, Alice, and the Doctor minion.

Even Shockwave was barely memorable. Oh, big and imposing robot... like the rest. His pet was memorable though, but still.

It'd be easy to create a new villain and slap a name on.

20. Avengers

Avengers Banned

My perfect decepticon core starring Trio for TF4 would be Galvatron,Cyclonus & Scourge.