To all you childhood Transformers fans

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Redsonjustin, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Redsonjustin

Redsonjustin Banned

Hey guys, I have a heart to heart question for you. When you were a kid, did anyone tease or make fun of you for collecting toys and if so, how did you get through it?

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, back when I was a kid, playing with toys wasn't exactly that strange, so I can't really comment on that. However, when I was a bit older & Pokemon was all the rage, there were always those who'd shit on it for whatever reason, and the same goes for Yugioh since very few people in my Highschool played it. However even then, it was never really an issue because I had nothing to gain by valuing the opinion of someone who'd try & put me down because of my hobbies.

The funny thing is that I'm 24, and still one of the younger people in my area who plays Yugioh at my local tournaments. As far as toy collecting goes nowadays, a bunch of people know about it, but most of them are nerds themselves (and it hasn't really come up at my current work or anything, although I never got any flak from people at my previous jobs for it), and nobody really gives a shit anyway couse even if they're not into it, the fact that I collect transformers & play Yugioh doesn't affect their lives in any way.

3. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I was in 8th grade when I got my G1 Jetfire for Christmas.I carried that thing around with me everywhere and never took any teasing from anyone.Of course things are much different these days compared to when I was a kid.Kids are so much crueler now than they were back then.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i was made fun of all throughout school for it, even though folks would say they loved the movies but still teased me

i just grew to ignore those folks

5. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I still get it in university from my course tutor no less (more toys in general than Transformers, but the point is the same), you learn it to just laugh it off and ignore it after a while though.

6. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

I get teased all the time for collecting and watching transformers all the time I just ignore them and walk away.

7. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

Not really, though as I got older my family was less and less willing to buy me toys for birthdays etc. I remember when I was around 12 my grandmother giving me money with strict instructions that it wasnt for toys. For a while I was more secretive about it and my family kind of gave me some grief over it but as I grew up they realized it wasnt something that was going to change.

Now Im 29 and most of my presents from family are toys or video games. I just stuck with it I guess, besides toning it down during the transition between childhood and adulthood Ive never really stopped. As soon as I got an allowance I was deciding what BW deluxe I wanted and how long it would take to save for a Mega etc.

8. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nobody really made fun of me, it was more of a "COOL" reaction. I had BW's in high school and G1's/MP's/3rd party in college.

I'd say, just ignore it you know? Why let someone else's hatred effect your happiness? F that! Love yourself enough to say, "This makes me happy and nobody is gonna change that."

9. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    I always end up comparing it to televised sport which ends with the other person hating me and me being so proud of myself XD

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    My dad still teases me about Transformers.

11. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Eh. When I was younger pretty much everyone my age at least knew of Armada, Energon, and Cybertron

Later on, after the movies, there was a bit of teasing for like a year

Now no one cares

12. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Big Green Dead?

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Lucky You. My Dad would Like Transformers if he was Alive.

13. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love all g1 tfs toys and i moved so much and i lost all my g1 tfs toys

14. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not getting teased for it. They don't really care or I hear "That's great."

15. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Yeah, one time 25yrs ago by this guy who was a grade older than me plus a total D-Bag. I basically said:

"Yeah. And.....what?"

They want you to get on the defensive. You gotta switch that up by confronting their "word" weapons. Short, repetitive answers tend to do the trick, cuz then THEY are the ones who are looking for something to say.

You don't have to explain to them what you you like or why. If they persist, tell 'em, "OK, don't ever buy any."

16. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I hid watching cartoons and collecting toys through Middle School until my Junior year of High School, when I just said "Fuck everybody" and became open as hell about it.

17. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

Interesting you brought this up. A (rather attractive) young lady friend requested me through my university's facebook page, who happened to be a mutual friend of my best friend. Found out she likes the Transformers film trilogy - we actually had a conversation about how pissed off we were when Ironhide got sacked by Sentinel Prime (I was surprised she actually knew who Ironhide was by name, rather than the black Autobot lol).

My little brother is the only one that nags about me collecting anymore. My parents really teased me when I started collecting; nowadays they don't mind since I've learned to be smarter with managing money. Only the closest bunch out of my friends know that I collect, and are more impressed with my collection that I'd thought. And I've managed to strike up a great conversation involving MP04 Convoy that was displayed in my freshman year dorm room.

Needless to say, I'm much more comfortable both collecting TFs and accepting the fact that I'm geeky in doing so than I was in high school. Just about being more comfortable in your own skin. And having hobbies that are easier to talk about (in my case, guitar) without feeling awkward right off the bat.

18. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Actually, no one teases me for collecting toys. My dad used own a toy collection himself, although he still keeps a few rare stuff and a few gundams. My mom got used to him buying toys therefore she didn't feel weird about me buying TFs. The kids at school.....they don't tease me but they complain how bad DOTM was.

19. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Never had any issues, as I didn't carry the stuff with me back when BW, BM, and the real RID was around.

Even if somebody would of found out, I could of cared less. If they got in my face about it, I would of walked pass them even if it meant landing them on their butt and walking over them.

20. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I live in one of those area that got swept up in the childhood fad. It's made people more tolerant when I mention it. At least I something like that, but damn is it annoying seeing people strut around a gamboy color.