To all those who hated the idea of fembots in TF2...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SKowl, Jul 3, 2009.

1. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

I'm just curious about something.

I was a big support of Arcee in TF2 before the movie came out, and I often debated this with other fans, who were not keen on the idea of female Transformers. Many really hated the idea, saying the female robots could not be explained logically, or that female robots didn't exist since the TFs were genderless to begin with, etc.

I just want to know what those same people thought of Devastator's balls?

Is there anyone out there who thinks it's wrong to have female-type transformers, but ok to have a giant robot with a swinging sack of doom?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like fembots and I've got no problem with the balls.

My only problem is why people need it to be explained? They're alien race before robots, usually race includes male AND females.

3. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    I am ok with love stories of male and female Autobots. Maybe this can be done in the tv series. The old G1 tv series had a few love stories between Autobots and also between Autobots and humans, also between Autobots and aliens.
    There is nothing strange about a species with sexual reproduction, and it makes the Transformers more like humans, and can lead to interesting stories.

4. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I've always thought that it's best not gone into too deeply.

As a child I was never really aware that all the TFs were essentially male until Arcee was introduced in the feature cartoon (in a move clearly aimed at trying to give the little girls someone to root for). It simply didn't occur to me, and I suspect it was the same for many others.

However once you introduce the topic of gender into this world, it opens up a can of worms about everything else in the TF universe that might be comparable to our own, such as reproduction, home life, recreation etc etc - all of which can be conjectured at by fans, but can begin to seem a little ridiculous when you try to be overly serious about it.

Ultimately the TFs are mostly all male because they're targeted at young boys who, like me, probably won't think it odd at all...

5. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

I always wondered how TFs reproduced if they were genderless.

Then I started reading fanfictions...

6. red4

red4 Banned

I think a cool way to see it is that Cybertronians don't have real genders, but gender identities. Some individuals identify more with masculinity, while others identify more with femininity. Their choice is reflected by the physical form.

7. vslayerntx

vslayerntx Well-Known Member

well I am a big female bot fan as well.....so I of course want to see more female autobots and decepticons.....the balls I think were more for comedic effect than gender assignment.

8. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Let me start by saying I absolutely loved the movie. I've seen it twice sofar, and will be seeing it at least 2 more times in the future.

That said, Devastator's balls were a fucking STUPID idea to include. Bay and the Writers lost a lot of points from me for that one. All it is, is a sign of immaturity. Morons...

9. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

I really don't get the hangup on fembots when there are characters like nanobots, pretenders, Ravage and Skorponok.

Skorponok is my biggest WTF. All of the other bots scan cars/vehicles, WHY THE HELL IS THERE A GIANT SCORPION? It's never explained and never questioned, why do people think they'll question fem-bots?

10. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    There is nothing abnormal about Transformers species having sexual reproduction altho in the oldest organisms on earth like bacteria, reproduction by fission is more common and dna exchange can be done as easily as kissing without the need for sex.

11. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
  12. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    I've got nothing to complain about. It makes the robots more human and less alien like to us. Let's us remember something about them that we love.

Enemy scrotum score! XD

13. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Fembots yes, ballbots no.

14. butz

butz slippery when wet

Eh, if they emulate human behavior, then it stands to reason that at least some members of their race might resemble our idea of females. Beyond that, I don't see why it needs an explanation.

15. Nagaoka

Nagaoka Well-Known Member

I thought Dev's balls were a stupid thing to include too. Devastator hadn't really made much of an impact on me in the movie and the whole scrotum joke just made it worse. It also just really added to the already numerous cases of immature humor in the movie that I know lots of people like, but it didn't do much for me. Hahahaha twelve year olds will find this hilarious hahaha...eh...

Although my thirty-something year old friend went with me and laughed, so what can I say.

16. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

ROTFL!!!!! LOL!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm sorry, I just can't take this thread seriously.

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol 

17. ManiactoaLaco

ManiactoaLaco Well-Known Member

This. It's hard to take a topic that has mentions of robot getting it on seriously!

MTL

18. PurpleOptics

PurpleOptics Autobubblicious

Page 15, but this isn't considered an "old" thread right? It was just started on 7/3 anyway...

Agreed that Dev's balls were a very poor choice to put in the movie. They could have easily stashed them somewhere else on his body, or even hidden them completely. But nope.

For the record I was hoping Elita-One would make an appearance, so I don't fully understand the concept of the TFormers being genderless. To be honest, I never really gave it much thought as a kid watching the show but now it sort of baffles me. What exactly is the reasoning? Maybe someone can post some links explaining this.

I watch the cartoon, hearing everyone referring to each other as "he" and "him". I hear voices that, for the most part, are male (with maybe an exception or two). "Genderless" doesn't really come to my mind.

19. Bulkhide

Bulkhide Bulkhead + Ironhide

I just went with the assumption that Scorponok scanned a scorpion in the desert for his robot mode. As though he liked the insect's form and ran with it as his robot mode.

As for the Topic. I'm fine with fembots, don't really care if they explain it or not.
    I've always felt that some TF's identified with Masculinity and others with Femininity. So they choose their robot forms to mimic that.

20. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Initially I was quite against fembots (not the point where I'd argue it). I'm more open to it now. I'm just more open to various forms (like demolisher). They also scan different body types and different human voices, so why would they care about downloading only male voices.

I liked the movie quite a bit, but the wrecking balls didn't ruin the movie for me, but I admit they were the lowest humor in the whole thing, and would be the first thing I would prefer not to be there.