Customs: To all pro kitbashers: I NEED HELP! (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SonRay, Sep 5, 2007.

1. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Hi guys, i just joined up after seeing all the cool customs you guys do here.

Im a regular over at Seibertron.com so this will be cut and pasted from there. I need a little assistance on a project id love to do, so heres the story:

I have an idea i would love to see realized, but due to my lack of scratch building and kit bashing knowledge i need a little help.

Now heres the idea:

I have a classics cliffjumper, and i want to turn him into this:

[​IMG]

Is this even possible? I know the skeleton will remain the same, as you cant take a classics skeleton and make it look like a complex movie-style autobot, but is it possible to change the chest/roof on the classics cliffjumper toy to being the front end of the car just the same as in the pic (including the "tire boobs" ;)  ) and still remain transformable?

Someone on another site gave an interesting idea about scratch building a sub frame and then...well i didnt really understand it so here is what he said:

"If you remeber that the BMC Mini never actually had a chassis but two independent sub-frames you could do 'tyre-boobs'. Scratch build a sub-frame or get a decent sized model kit with one and use Classic Bee's rotating shoulder arms. Make teh subframe slide together to make the 'boobs ' once you flip the arms out of the engine compartment. You might lose a little articulation from teh wheel arches blocking upward shoulder movement but it would work otherwise. Also using a sub-frame would allow you to hinge it down to make teh trasformation a lot easier for the arms and wheels. Much less fouling and makes more room of the rest of the engineering involved in teh rest of teh torso body from teh back of the car."

As you can see what he said was pretty vague and hard to follow, but he made it sound possible. I dont know the guy so i cant take this seriously so im asking you guys cos you all rule!

So let me know if this is even possible, and if so could ya tell me how to do it, and what scale model kit i'll need? My last kitbash i used a 1/32 scale model, and it looked great in bot mode but it ended up being non-transformable. I have gotten the measurements in MM and measured how big the classics cliffjumper toy is in car mode and its about 11 MM. This puts it in the 1/28 or 1/25 scale area. Im not sure if 1/28 will be big enough, and 1/25 might be too big.

I, and many TF fans yearning for more fembots with "tire boobs", will be endlessly grateful!!!

Ok so originally i just drew this pic cos i was bored, then someone suggested i make a toy out of it. Now the only Kitbash i have done was a re-mold of classics BB where i turned him into a VW beetle, it looks great in bot mode but for some reason it wont transform. Probably due to my lack of experiance as it was my first ever kitbash afterall (heres a pic).
    [​IMG]

Now since i am pretty low on scratch building skills i could really use some advice on this project as i REALLY want to do it, and i already have all the materials. I just need pointing in the right direction but i want to do it right a.k.a. have something that looks good and can actually transform. (unlike my last attempt)

So please could someone help me out with some tips, and if things start to get too complicated maybe a little diagram?

Thanks alot guys!

p.s. heres some pics of a couple of re-paints ive done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

jeez man, you've definitely got some talent. I'm sure someone will come to your rescue!

3. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Plowking is our resident "Plastic Crack Alt Guru". There are many more guys/gals (have to be fair to the gals) here that I'm sure will offer all the tips you can handle.

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Basically you need to scratch build or reshell a figure. My recommendation would be to take a Thunderblast from Cybertron or the deluxe Movie Arcee and build on that. Take the car shell off Cliffjumper and glue/soder the pieces in place.

The problem is that you want to make the front of the car the arms instead of the legs, the back of the car the legs rather than arms, the head will be under the hood instead of the trunk, and the top of the car is the back of the bot. In your drawing, I don't even see where the hood goes.

Sodering the legs from the female figure to the trunk should be easy, the top of the robot is what I forsee to be the big problem.

5. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Thanks. Oh heres some more pics i drew if you are interested:

(my first ever pic of a transformer)
    [​IMG]

(and my second :p )

[​IMG]

Yeah i hope someone can help soon cos i really wanna start on this ASAP

6. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Hi. The pic isnt meant to be a diagram of the toy i wanna make. I drew the pic first with no intentions of making a toy, and then just decided to go for it after someone suggested the idea to me.

Ive kinda got some of it worked out but i really want to make sure i do this right before i go ahead and butcher a cliffjumper and a model kit.

Turning the legs from the front end to the rear end is my biggest problem, as well as where to place the hood and how to make the roof and windshield of the car hang down her back like an alternator jazz or silverstreak...

7. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Man, you got some talent that female 'former jeez she's smokin hot. Okay thats weird but whatever anyways you have an awesome talent. I hope someone here would be happy to help or give you advice. I'm new at this too so don't think you're the only one.

8. primeone

primeone PRIME

News Credits:
    The Ideas good but it would take a lot of scratch building and retooling to do what you want. from what the car looks like to me you may want to start with an alternator jazz or smokescreen as your base mainly because re shelling will be easier to find models in scale with what you want as well as they more match your original design. Also larger figures are easier to make small parts to move things around on. to start with jazz would need a larger hole cut for the head to show off the tire boobs and sacrifice the simultaneous turning wheels to be able to put a sliding mechanism in to slide the tires in towards the center and become the boobs. hope this helps you out.
    -prime one

9. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Yeah i can see that working, but i dont have the money to buy an alternator jazz or smokescreen (both i have NEVER seen in stores or able to buy online, apart from jazz which i had to pay alot for as mine is the BT version) so i have to stick with the classics CJ toy im afraid.

This sliding mechanism, how you you describe it? Maybe i can use the same thing on CJ, just miniturize it.

10. SonRay

SonRay Banned

hehe, yo its not wierd, people cried when prime died etc, so its normal to have emotions for these characters.

11. primeone

primeone PRIME

News Credits:
    similar to movie jazz only so the wheels and arms move in instead of out.
    -primeone

12. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

Well it looks like what you have going on there is gonna be a reshell of a 1/24 Mini Cooper using the chassis of an Alternator with some added scratchbuilt parts and custimizing of the shell. As for which fembot you wanna do this from, is completely up to you. Moonstreaker hasnt gotten very much attention though.
    I dont know how much skill you have to be able to pull this off but I would suggest seeing first if you can find a model kit of the Mini Cooper and then test fitting it next to a couple of Alts for size. The main things to look for at first will be wheel-base issues. The back wheel peg is usually removed and refastened on most reshells. But even on the one I'm working on right now I was able to get the back wheel to line up perfectly and due to the arms folding up under the hood I'm having to relocate the front wheel peg a quarter inch. You will wanna make sure that you'll have enough room under the hood/hatch for the robot chassis.

If everyting looks good and seems like it will fit. Start completely dissasembling the Alt until it is bare. Then take your shell and fit it over the Alt. I reccomend fastening the shell to the bot before you start cutting so it will all line up properly. You will need some plastic weld or epoxy to mold the shell to the Alt. Glue alone wont be sturdy enough. You will need to remove the wheels also and see how/ or if, you will have to relocate them. Then work out your transformation before you start cutting. A razor saw will drastically reduce the work you will put into cutting the shell apart in the desired areas. I would also suggest picking up some dubro hobby hinges and maybe even some ball joint sockets. And with the level of detail you seem to want on this fembot kitbash I wouldnt even start it until you have some styrene sheets of varying thickness and some styrene tubing.

Also, if you're having difficulties with any peticular area... OWATs kitbash sticky at the top of this forum has a wealth of knowlege poured into it from many great kitbashers.

13. SonRay

SonRay Banned

I only have a classics cliffjumper to work with, and a 1/32 scale mini modle kit is on its way. I cant afford to ruin an alternator, not that i can ever find any to buy anyway.

Thanks for the tip though, although im not going to use an alt for this project you did give some handy tips about the process of doing this sort of stuff, which i had no idea how to approach till now.

I have plenty of styrene too, but i can never find styrene rods and where do you buy ball joints and sockets from? (would a gundam kit do the trick, i can buy those cheap off ebay).

And glueing the plastic....what is epoxy and plastic weld? I was thinking of using a soldering iron on the bit that need to be strong....does anyone else use that method?

Oh and the fembot is going to be my own character, just like in the pic.

14. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

Well my first response would be that this isnt a cheep hobby. If you really want your kitbashed fembot to look good you are gonna need to do this project from an Alt. Just using the Cliffjumper you already have will prove to be more difficult because of the smaller size of it. You will need something bigger to work with to be able to put extra articulation and detailing into.

Just post a want-it add for a cheep Alt (I would suggest using Ricochet) in the Junkion section and you will get a response.

You dont wanna use a soldering iron to mold the plastic together. This will cause the plastic to melt and could end up ruining your car. I would suggest going to your nearest hobby shop and picking up some epoxy, Devcon, Plastic Weld, JB quik-weld, etc, for the heavy-duty gluing. And just use some rubber cement and super glue for the other, smaller stuff.

As for the ball joints... you may not need them. But they are found at any hobby shop. Just pick up a small package of the dubro hobby hinges. They will usually always come in handy. And make sure you have a nice set of exacto razors. You dont wanna just use a box-cutter. Once you get your cuts started, you can use the razor saw to make short work of it. If you end up slipping, just sand it down.

Oh and how did I forget to mention this: You will need a Dremel or rotary tool also. Many parts on the bot chassis will have to be ground down. I also use a heavy duty grinder on my projects for major grinding so if you dont have one you will inevidably need the rotary tool. It will come in handy for plastic cutting, grinding, shaving, and modifications. And expect to make many, many modifications when starting a reshell project. There are always some things you will just not anticipate.

If you are still unfamiliar with some of what I have told you... just check out the kitbash "how to" thread.

15. SonRay

SonRay Banned

I have managed to find some plastic weld on ebay, so i will order some since none of my local hobby shops sell stuff like that, including ball joints (i live in england, this country is useless) but i dont think i will need them anyway.

I have a rotary tool as well, and exacto knives and sharp blades are plentyful, and i already have loads of sheet styrene (no styrene rods though as they dont seem to exsist in this country).

However this project HAS to be done with the classics cliffjumper, theres just no getting around that. I know this isnt a cheap hobby ( i have done a kitbash before but it didnt turn out too well. I have also done a few re-paints so i know how costly this can be) but because of that i can only afford to use the CJ mold and a 1/32 scale model kit.

Thanks to your suggestions about what materials to use though and how to go about doing things and thanks to some hard thinking and designing what i need to do on a napkin :) P) i think i should be able to make this work.

Thanks for the tips! Next time i will use an alt though, its just hard to get them and posting in a "wanted" thread on what id imagine is a primarily US based site would be pointless as shipping costs from the US to here are astronomical. It would be cheaper if i just bought a Binaltech mold, thats how expensive shipping rates are.

I know of a few places in the UK where i can still get cheap alts so i will use them in the future and probably re-do this project but for now i have to use my classics CJ.

Thanks again!

16. Ezilla82

Well thanks for understanding and does this female 'former have a name. In a weird sense she kinda reminds me of arcee, a much sexier version but thats just me. anyways whatever project you're working on would kick ass.

17. SonRay

SonRay Banned

I havnt actually named her yet....i cant really think of a name...any ideas? Oh and here are some colored versions of her, a friend did them for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like how the red one makes her chest "pop" out, but i also love the pink, so when ive finished my model of her i will go with a mix of the two.

18. Ezilla82

The pink version looks like arcee and the red kinda looks more of a female version of ironhide. what name well rawhide came to mind, but I'll think of something, I hope.

19. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Man, if that is your original artwork, you definately have some artistic talent there! You should pursue that!!!

20. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    I aggree