To all Australian board members....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Crazy Collector, Nov 8, 2009.

1. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm planning a trip to Australia sometime next March or April. I'll probably have a week or two to visit, sooooo....

Any tips on good places to stay or fun/interesting sites to visit? What kind of public transportation is available? Trains? Buses? How easy is it for the average Joe to get from city to city without a car? Does one need a visa to enter the country (or any other kind of special paperwork)? If you were going to recommend one place to see or visit, or one cultural experience unique to Australia to try, what would it be?

I don't know much about the land down under, but I know I want to go, and I want to have a good time! Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

2. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Walk the Sydney harbor bridge, see all the big things (Giant Prawn, Giant Banana, Giant Marino) Opera house, Great barrier Reef. And if your into culture go to see some aboriginal stuff, its amazing. That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure SydneyY and other Australian TFWers will help.

And it is very easy to get around Australia. And their are lots of buses in Sydney. And yes you need a Visa to enter the country.

http://www.australia.com/index.aspx

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Let's see... Considering you're asking about going between cities, you're going to the east coast of Australia, right? In that case, i can't help you much, since i'm stuck in Perth, and there's really nothing to do here.

4. red4

red4 Banned

I'd tame the outback.

5. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    You don't know boredom until you have lived in Canberra.

6. red4

red4 Banned

I've got a couple of Aussie friends who entertain the idea of tossing deadly snakes (read: regular Australian snakes) into their neighbor's yard to silence their dogs.

7. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    The snake would probably kill the person before they threw them. And that never happens :\

8. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're coming from the USA you'll most likely touch down in Melbourne and frankly that's probably the best city in the country. Within cities there is plenty of public transport - buses, trains, trams, ferries etc (depending on the city). Traveling from city to city is sometimes possible by train but often planes are far easier, quicker and not really any more expensive.

Visas - I believe there is some kind of visa waiver agreement with the USA so you won't need to seek special permission to enter the country - just get on the plane and fill out the entry card once you arrive. However keep in mind that if you have any criminal record you may be refused entry.

There are plenty of things to do on the East Coast. Melbourne's got all the "culture" (what little there is) and is far nicer than Sydney. Queensland has lots of tropical fun and decent beach areas. If the outback (desert) is your thing then you'll want to visit the Northern Territory (warning: it's a shithole) or Western Australia (less of a shithole).

I'll see if I can think up some good places to visit. Not entirely sure at the moment.

9. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Yeah the gold coast is awesome!

And I agree, most people say that Sydney is the best city in Australia but Melbourne is. I live in the hole called Canberra :( 

And the Victorian markets have cheap Transformers!

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As always you can't go wrong following llamatron's advice :) 

Actually I suggested TCC to post a thread, since I've never really been to anywhere and can't be much of help. Been to ACT twice though!

But Australia sells Perth as "the most beautiful city in the world" to Japanese tourists :D  If I google in Japanese Perth comes up first. I'd love to go one day. I guess it's hard to go there though, especially if visitors' time is limited.

11. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Cool. Thanks for the advice guys. So the general consensus is to stay towards the eastern coast it sounds like, although there was mention of Perth. Anyone know what's in Perth? Melbourne and Sydney sound like the cities to visit on the east coast though. Anyone know of any good places to stay or cool places to go in either city?

Also, what about lodging? Are hostel's as popular in Australia as they are in Europe?

And thanks for the link JetRaid, that'll be a lot of help, I think.

12. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Oh and when you are in Sydney, GO TO BONDI BEACH!!

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Go to Black Mountain National Park in Queensland.

14. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on your belongings, there's a few shifty characters here. I went to the Pensione hotel in Melbourne, it's a nice hotel to be at and it's close to the Melbourne Convention Centre too (where they host the Victorian Supernova and Armageddon, pretty much the closest Aussies can get to Auto Assembly or BotCon, I found some cool stuff there). :) 

15. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

Melbourne is nice, though big touristy things seem to all be in Sydney. if you wanna get lost easily just drive into Canberra and try to navigate though it.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If you like your sun, surf, and your babes, frankly you cannot go past places like Surfers Paradise and Bondi Beach.

If you like anything at all, Melbourne or Sydney is the place to go. Canberra, living in it as I do, isn't so much boring as it is quiet. There's plenty of theatres, clubs and stuff like to see plus the Australian War Memorial, one of the most hauntingly beautiful buildings its been my priviledge to see and explore.

17. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    You live in Canberra? :D  I'm not alone!

And no problem. Hope you enjoy Australia. And yes there is heaps of tanned blonde's and stuff in the batemans bay area and all the other beaches :) 

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's nothing really in Perth that can't be found in other cities. Western Australia in general though has got pretty much everything you could want in Australia, it's just that people coming from the USA will land on the East Coast and not really see the point in making the extra journey West. If you're really in to your nature and outdoors then it's probably worth trying to visit parts of W.A.

Lodging is pretty much the same as any other western country on earth - a range of hotels, B&Bs, backpackers, everything.

19. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    A good idea would be to buy a copy of the Rough Guide to Australia and read about it all! There's a lot of stuff to see and do in Australia.

Depsite my user name I'm not Australian, even though I did live there for a year in 2003. I'm going back for a few weeks on Saturday, and I'm spending time in Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns. I have a pretty packed list of stuff to do and I can't wait.

20. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Disclaimer: This whole post is written in the usual WA hates E.Aust, as is the custom

:lolol  Western Australia... Don't get me started on it. Still, every time i have people coming over from overseas, i always hear about somewhere called Wave Rock, and Pinnacle. Someone (whos knows more about Perth than a guy whos lives here) enblighten me on what those are.

There's always the Politicians, if you're really desperate. That's more than we got here. We never get our fair shake of the sauce bottle! :mad  j/k

Wonder if you know my cousin...?

Well, let's see. There's the Belltower (the bells were recovered from somewhere, i forget where, and thiles outside have the names of primary school children when the tower first opened. One of the tiles even has my signature in it! Bet no tourist guide will tell you that...

There's also the Perth Eye (We ripped it off the english, because, y'know, we have no imagination, and the English don't deserve anything original anyways :D ). Warning, though: I'ts even more of a shithole (or shit cabin, i guess) than the NT.

Also, you into Gundam? Coz we have Australia's Largest Independent Stockist of Gundam, right in the CBD! Beat that, you Eastern Australian b******s who hog all of the tourism industry! The only reason anyone can look at the Sydney Harbour Bridge so long is because you're stuck in traffic! :lol 

Kings Park is the other one to visit. And for those really bored...Drive out to Roleystone (shithole where absolutely anything is new technology...heck, sliced bread is new stuff there ;) )...And from there, Araluen Botanic Gardens. Never been there myself, but the advert sure makes it look good. And according to my friend (warning: Nature lover and all round nutcase) it;s great. Yeah...right...