To AFA or not to AFA?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rockmoreno, Feb 7, 2011.

?

afa or not?

Poll closed Feb 12, 2011.
  1. Afa it!

18 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Don't even THINK about afa-ing it!

45 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Rockmoreno

Rockmoreno Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I just recently got back into G1 collecting and was wondering about the whole afa thing. I have a few misb g1 items and am considering afa. Here are some of the pros I see:
    1). Cool display case
    2). a third party authenticates condition, etc.
    3). They seem to be accepted more than other grading services for g1 tfs

The cons:
    1). Kinda pricey
    2). Unlike cga, or BSA (think I'm saying that right) it appears that afa has no real grading system. It seems subjective at best! There are three grades, and I dunno how you grade a toy in a misb when you can't really see it.
    3). Turn around time I hear can be long

Just curious if any of you out there have .02 to share on this or what your experience has been.

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I voted pr-AFA. The only caveat on that would be affordability. This is all relevant to the individual. Basically, if you can afford the cost of AFAing an item with no problem, I would go for it as I think it looks great on display.

4. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    AFA is a waste of time and money. I just don't see why so many people buy into what they say. All they do is slap your item into a clear box and place a label on it and say the price is way more than it's actually worth and people buy into it.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're looking to sell your stuff later on then yeah AFA seems to be a good choice.

6. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

I don't really care for AFA,I like to open my toys and display them!!

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

AFA it if its something worthy of it. I've seen people on ebay AFA ROTF scorponok! You have a rare G1 figure in a fantastic box? AFA it. Rare import from way back when, AFA it.
    There is a very small market for these types of toys. Not everyone has $$$$ for it. Thats if your looking to sell em down the road.

8. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    sooooooo.......it's not a waste, then. If people pay the inflated prices, then that's what it's worth. The OP didn't mention interest in speculation, it would appear that their motivation is protection of an increasingly rare product.

The supply of G1 MISB isn't getting bigger - if you want to keep them and protect them, then AFA them, or find an alternative grading/protection system.

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Afaing increases value for sure. I think that if they are g1s you plan on keeping MISB afa them. If you have intent to open them ever dont get them graded.

10. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It depends, I think, on what you're doing. I have some CGC comics, and it's neat but I can't read 'em. lol I mean AFA'ing a Twin Twist might seem silly - not bad but a little silly. But AFA'ing a Fortress Maximus in MISB/MIB would rock and hopefully ensure its grading for a long time to come. It'd be quite the conversation piece. I also agree with tony77tony77 about wanting to display, play, and touch it.

For the loose figures, it's a nice way to display them, to a degree. I hope to buy an AFA loose Soundwave. Then later I'm praying I can get a AFA MISB Soundwave. He's my favorite character and probably the only one I'll get AFA.

I think it's a careful decision really. BTW, the cost of grading can vary from $75'ish to a few hundred... depends on the TF.

11. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

wow-o that much? man that seems insane to me, but to each his own.

Ever since I bought an afa graded ko beachcomber I have had a chip on my shoulder in regards to how much of an "expert" they really are in identifying and grading transformers. I really do like the cases though, the figures look nice inside them and they seem to protect the cards/boxes pretty good. Not sure about the long term affects of keeping a figure in a case like that (ex air is not circulated enough or humidity gets trapped blah blah blah). In the end I say if it costs as much as Red Hope says to AFA a figure then it would have to be a really nice example or something really special in order for me to consider grading it.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Well said I would never do it, but if your into MISB anyway you may as well as the figures remained imprisoned either way. ]

I do not like that it creates an artificial price boost in the graded figures.

Also its humans who do the grading and none of us are perfect and in the past the AFA has missed KOs, as far as I know they do much better now at spotting them.

13. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

I have gotten my sealed G1's graded for the fact that I believe in preserving a part of toy history, I don't really care too much about the grade or resale value just as long as the box is not totally trashed and displays nicely. If you move around a lot, having them cased is a good way to prevent damaged to the packaging as well.

I hate it when people say dumb crap like this...sure, if it's a toy you just bought at Wal-Mart for a few bucks...but to open a vintage sealed toy is just, well IMO it's like destroying a part of history. There are plenty of LOOSE complete vintage toys that are available to buy on the after market, so why destroy a sealed one?

14. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Well two things here on casing your MISB I would think you could likely find protective cases cheaper than what it would cost to send them to be AFAed and if the grade and values aren't an issue then no AFA sticker shouldn't be an issue.

As for people opening a Vintage sealed toy , to each there own , it used to drive me nuts a when i would recognize a part of a figure I wanted in some ones Custom figure. But I got over it and look at it this way to each there own. you do what you desire with your figures and everyone else can do what they desire.

15. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

AFA can get expensive for sure and I collect alot of lines so I go more the MIB route with acrylic cases from AFA. To me it's all about the box and art and having a nice MIB transformer looks the same to me as an AFA'd one except for the grading sticker. For what a AFA figure costs I can buy 5 or more MIB ones maybe even more.

Just comes down to what you like to collect. If I had a MISB G1, I'd AFA sell it off and buy more MIB ones then case them. I can always take the figures out so it's cool. MOC is a whole nother story though.

I'll need to post my pics sometime. I have over 30 MIB G1 transformers and most of them are in acrylic cases. They look just the same as the AFA'd ones for alot less cost.

16. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Really depends on what you AFA'ing.

17. optimus12380

I have already checked around on acrylic cases for Transformers, it's only a few bucks more to just get them graded in most cases. So why spend $20-$25 to get an acrylic case for my G1 seekers when it's only $30 to get them AFA'ed? Might as well spend the few extra bucks, and in the end if times get tough I know I can recover my investment if need be...though that might take a cold day in hell.

18. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Fair enough but are you figuring in your shipping costs? but as I said to each there own.

19. optimus12380

Really? You mean they don't ship for free? WOW! Come to think of it, I think everywhere I have checked charges some kind of shipping fee...wouldn't ya know it!

20. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, it can run $50 for the service then you have to figure in your cost to ship it to & fro. The services itself starts at $50 but it depends on the tier.

But yes, it should only be done for something worth it... unique, rare, etc. Its a new market too. I wonder if the market gets "saturated" then how much some really will be worth. If the supply goes up then does a collector's earlier purchase of an AFA item now cost less? I would think so.

It'll be interesting to see how AFA takes to the collector market.