Non-TF: TMNT

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Solrac333, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Finally finished painting my Ninja Turtles. First up is Leonardo. Borrowing Encline's idea, this was the Donatello figure with the weapons swapped so that Leo can have the more serious face since he's the leader. Gave the figure a black wash then dry brushed the details with shades of green and brown.

[​IMG]

Here is Donatello, which was originally Leonardo, all painted up. He now has that grin. Gave the figure a black wash and then dry brushed the details with shades of green and brown. Also gave one of his weapons some real chains.

[​IMG]

Here is Raphael all painted up. Gave the figure a black wash and then dry brushed the details with shades of green and brown.

[​IMG]

And here is Michelangelo all painted up with a black wash and dry brushed details using shades of green and brown and now both his weapons have CHAINS!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

looking sharp. I love seeing all these new turtles get painted up. Really killer sculpts for being a playmates product.

3. Stormbringer85

Stormbringer85 Well-Known Member

beautiful work, these will be the very first non tf figures I paint up myself, they are just too good not to. :) 

4. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

These are cool, they look like the 80s comics style. Nice!

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Neat. But they look to all be the same shade of green. Also while the idea of swapping Don and Leo so Leo looks more serious is good in theory, I can't help but look at them and still see Don as the serious face and Leo with the gritted teeth, despite the mask colours. The proportions and shape of the heads are just too indicative of the characters. I think Raph looks the best and those chains are slick.

6. lhandlott

lhandlott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    wow that's an amazing job there makes me want to try it.

7. Solrac333

Ebay:
    Thanks for the comments.

8. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

you give me hope for the new show.
    Great color work.

9. Solrac333

Ebay:
    I don't have any hope for the new show. I just wanted the figures.

10. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

very pretteh. XD
    any issues with paint rub though?... every time I think of painting mine, I keep worrying about whether the paints will flake off... they hold their weapons REAAAAALLL tight... Mikey especially...

11. Solrac333

Ebay:
    There are some slight rubs. I just try to paint lightly in those parts.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I love it! As an oldschool TMNT fan (really oldschool, not that Saturday morning bullshit), these really hit the spot. These are already amazing figures that warm the 1980's cockles of my heart, but you've bumped them up a notch.

Even the colour coded headbands aren't too obtrusive (I like the way you darkened them). The skin tones being closer to the same shade appeals to me, though it's nice that there's still a subtle differentiation (I think?).

I'm a bit mixed on the Leo/Don headswap. Part of what I like about these figures is the way they captured the essence of each character right there in the headsculpt. Mikey is cocky and fun-loving, Raph is angry, Don is quiet and thoughtful, Leo is... well, his expression is the most "generic" and classic TMNT of the bunch... sort of an earnest, focused, determined gritted-teeth look.

But still... every time I look at this, the serious-face-Leo grows on me. It still works. :thumb 

zmog

13. Solrac333

Ebay:
    Thanks. To me that "quiet and thoughtful" Don face looks a little too serious. That's why I like Leo to have that serious look since he's the leader. Seems to me Don would be excited to create all the gadgets so I like him with the grin. I do like Raph's figure the best though. I'm temped to get 4 Raph's and just give each one different weapons.

I never read the comics so I went with the color headbands but did darken them and there are subtle differences in skin tones.

Other than the classics figures (I don't have the NECA figures), I think these are the best figures for the turtles and were very fun to paint.

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I couldn't afford the NECA versions, but these ones were a close second.

On the Don and Leo thing, Don is the quiet, studious, more reserved one... so technically, that face suits him most (closed mouth). Leo is the leader, but he's not necessarily a super-serious type. He's quite a go-getter, and can still be quick to anger. I think his "snarl" is the most "generic" out of this assortment. It most resembles how the Turtles were always shown in the old comics, and looks just sort of determined, rather than goofy like Mike or enraged like Raph... so I think that's why they made him like that... the most iconic of the Turtles.

That's just my perspective as an old TMNT fan, on the reasoning of how they chose the faces for this series... but I still totally follow your logic, and I agree. It works this way too. :) 

zmog

15. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    That is some turtle love right there

16. MitchPower

MitchPower Active Member

News Credits:
    What kind of paint are you using for these? it makes me want to try it

17. Solrac333

Ebay: