TMNT 2k3 is on in Japan (video links)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DrSpengler, Apr 3, 2007.

1. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

So Japan finally imported the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon. It premiered on TV Tokyo last Saturday morning in the same block as Naruto and Bleach. Pretty royal treatment, considering most American shows are relagated to satellite stations (like Cartoon Network Japan) and are very rarely played on TV Tokyo. Alsoof note, this is the first show 4Kids has ever exported to Japan. Looks like they're finally giving back.

Anyhow, you can watch the Japanese opening sequence Here and part one of the first episode Here.

I think they did a pretty good job on the voices; pretty close approximations of the English cast. Splinter could stand to be rhaspier, though.

The opening music is pretty good for generic Japanese pop-rock. Hell, it's a ten-fold improvement over "Turtles count it off! One! Live by the code of the martial arts! Two! Never fight unless someone else starts!"

I felt they used a few too many clips from the show, though. There were lots of REALLY well-animated bits from the US opening they could've used, like the part where Casey drops out of the sky and swipes at the audience with his hockey stick.

Anyhow, I hope the Japanese like it. I know that they're currently experiencing a "ninja explosion" thanks to Naruto and there's a chance TMNT might get overlooked as "just another ninja show", and a foreign one at that.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

'Bout time! The show is good enough, it deserves an export to Japan.
    With any luck, the new theatrical movie will help distinguish it.

Know the best thing that could possibly come out of this? If we're really lucky, we could get a Japanese-made sequel as an alternative to the incredibly crappy Fast Forward. Probably just wishful thinking though.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Or that turtle fusion mess they got in the first place...

... oh god!

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Our old cartoon was almost as bad as that to begin with, just without the anime parodies thrown in.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I thought that last Turtles anime they got was pretty cool. The one where they all got magical armor. I actually got a couple of the toys when they were released over here. Some of the best TMNT figures back then.

6. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

I own both the Super Mutant Turtles and the Metal Mutant Turtles OVAs. I thought they were funny solely out of how bizarre they were. I got more entertainment out of laughing at them than laughing with them, though.

I actually showed them to a bunch of my friends at a party last week (we had gotten back from the new TMNT movie and were on a turtles binge) and they absolutely HATED the things.