TMNT 2014 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OP84, Mar 14, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Paramount Pictures has set a release date for the Michael Bay-produced and Jonathan Liebesman-directed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot which will be as per the title, December 25th 2013. Now I feel that this is kind of a risky move, as a big movie like this would usually have a Summer release which is probably why Zack Snyder's The Man of Steel (a Superman reboot for those of you who don't know) was pushed from December 2012 to Summer 2013. But still, I'm looking forward to this. The only downside is that Nickelodeon Movies (which recently produced Steven Spielberg's Tintin) is supposedly involved in production and considering that my hopes were for a PG-13 rating, I'm a little disappointed since as far as I know, they haven't produced any PG-13-rated films to date.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/paramount-sets-ninja-turtles-for-xmas-2013-tom-cruises-one-shot-for-xmas-2012/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Jonathan Liebesman and Michael Bay? Mother of God, stuff will blow up on the screen with more frequency than a WWII propaganda film.

3. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Jonathan Liebesman also directed Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning which was produced by Michael Bay. I never remember anything blowing up in that film.

4. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

It's going to be related to that new TMNT cartoon isn't it.

5. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Not to my knowledge. And besides, was the 2007 CGI film related to the 4Kids series that was still airing at the time? No.

6. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Actually, yes, it was.

7. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    uh...well one could argue both ways..I suppose...so I'd like to hear your opinion. As, a TMNT fan of course.

8. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Unless I'm wrong, I remember there being references to plots from the show. Like that ninja bitch, who was the Shredder's adopted daughter, being in the film.

9. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I wish they would do a TMNT movie based on the early comics where they would go around and kill Foot soldiers,get in fights with Shredder,and just kick some total ass.

I stopped following the Turtles when they dumbed it down and turned them into these pizza eating dorks.Those early black and white comics(which I still have)are some of my all time favorites.I should dig them out just to remember how cool they used to be.

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

The 2003 series [and the 2007 movie] kinda portrayed them like they were in the original [minus the killing], in fact, the 2003 series had Gargoyles-level of writing and maturity [until Fast Forward came a long and fucked everything up, that is] one could even say it surpassed the comics in quality.

I'm quite sure the TMNT franchise will never again reach that level of quality. It's the Batman: TAS of this franchise, it just comes once an eternity.

11. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just because Karai is in both doesn't mean they are from the same continuity

there were no direct referenced to plot points from the show

12. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Been awhile since I've watched it, but that seems somewhat anal to say they can't be related.

Though in the long run I actually really don't give a shit, because I know in the long run it's going to be this big deal that really shouldn't be a big deal. But it's going to be. So I don't care...Have it your way anal fan boys.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I was worried as-is with Bay producing, but Liebesman is directing? really? Other than Bay, I can't possibly imagine someone being a worse choice for director. I'll try and give this new movie a chance, but my confidence in it is going nowhere but down. Hopefully they get a competent writer on-board...

14. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    The Turtles are back and ready to kick some shell!

15. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really hope this doesn't suck. It could be awesome if they do it right.

16. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

christmas? eh, thats not too far away.

christmas 2013? FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

17. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *SIGH* First of all I'm a woman, not a fan boy
    I said it could be argued either way, argued as in this could foreshadow that or vice versa but in terms of a direct link, I don't see any, and it's not anal to say so

18. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Aw yeah, we finally got a release date. Gonna be keeping a close eye on this one.

19. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What worries me is the cgi/live action mixture. Live action background, April and Casey, CGI turtles. I have nightmares that were Marmaduke and Scooby Doo, I really hope it doesn't turn out as horrible as that, I prefer it be all cgi as in the 2007 movie.

20. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Sorry, I'll restate; Have it your way fan boys, and fan girls.

I just don't have the resolve to get into junk like that.
    There was enough about it when I watched it that it left the impression on me that it was connected to the show. Fact I remember that my criticism was it felt like it could have easilly been written as a two parter episode of the TV show, rather then a movie.