TM vs. "R" Trademarked 1985 G1 Dinobots and Insectacons?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TeletranOne, Oct 26, 2009.

1. TeletranOne

TeletranOne Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the origin of the "TM" trademark box stamped above "The Transformers" on the top flap, Dinobots and Insectacons? I checked my toy archive pics and noticed that all the Dinobots I've ever owned, sealed or otherwise, were "R" trademarked. i recently scored a set of loose ones though that all had instruction booklets with the "TM" copyright.

I also noticed that the Insectacons came as 'TM" OR "R" (much more common) stamped as well.

I've checked the reissues and counterfeits and those just use the "R" stamp, so I know these oddball "TM" issues toys have nothing to do with that.

I figure the TM was probably the early or first issue of these figures, but was wondering if there was another story...maybe these are European releases, alternate production releases? ...etc.

2. patobot

patobot ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝ Scanning ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝

From what I understand, TM is the first release. I have two legit Bombshell: TM Insecticon.Bombshell.front on Flickr - Photo Sharing! and (R) Insecticon.Bombshell.2.front on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I also noticed that one is aged '6 & up' and the other one is aged '5 & up'.

Same goes for other series 2. I have two Dirges and they both have a (R) box but the age varies. One is '5 & up' Dirge.front on Flickr - Photo Sharing! and the other is '7 & up' Dirge.2.front on Flickr - Photo Sharing!.

I have asked about this in another but didn't get much infos unfortunately.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  3. lee gray

lee gray It tastes terrible

Sorry to bump a very old thread but would like to know a bit more.
    Such as how long were the insecticons produced with TM before they were replaced with ®
    and whats the rough percentage, are there much more ® about or around equal thanks.

4. IamRoller

IamRoller Well-Known Member

Sorry (Bump) i found this thread after this week finding 2 estate sealed G1 1984 Insecticons (Both in nice storage wear condition )
    But Shrapnel has a (TM) on the top right of the flap & kickback as a (R)
    They are both definitely originals - i did a lot detective comparing there Art identifications- there all Org!
    It'z juzt the (R) and (TM) i am stumped on?
    Help.... I am a Expert TF Fan Plzzzz
    kickback[​IMG]
    shrapnel[​IMG]

5. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

Unlike many of the early-released figures, which didn't have rub signs and therefore had TM boxes, the Insecticons had both R and TM boxes despite being released later (with rub signs). I believe the TM boxed Insecticons were the earlier releases. From what I know, it's the only thing that differentiates the TM and R ones.

6. IamRoller

IamRoller Well-Known Member

Hi ^__^
    yay! your the best!!!! :thumb 
    thank you so much ******