Heavy/Scratch: TLK Megatron into Smash4 Ike

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DJsCustoms, Oct 17, 2018.

1. DJsCustoms

DJsCustoms Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It is JUST as insane as it sounds. I love that I get to do this.

Someone commissioned me to take a Transformer figure and turn it into Ike using his Smash4 outfit, inspired by the recent StreetFighterxTransformer crossover. I opted to go with a TLK Voyager Megatron since it needed no extra parts added on. Just a metric ton of cutting, sanding, and contour putty.

Aiming for an end result CLOSE to this that can still transform.
    ike2.jpg

I was originally just going to send these pictures to the commissioner, but I figured you guys would enjoy the process at least a little bit. I'm expecting to fully finish within the next 3 weeks and I'll be posting pictures probably once a week due to the process.

So first week; All the cutting&sanding is done. I'll be applying contour putty today, but I won't be able to take pictures of that til it fully cures for a few days.

- Week 1 -
    DSCN0282.JPG DSCN0283.JPG DSCN0284.JPG DSCN0285.JPG DSCN0286.JPG DSCN0289.JPG

Notes at this point:
    - Still absolutely able to transform without any issue.
    - I don't remember this thing having such durable plastic when working on Depthcharge or another unfinished custom. My arms weak, biceps spagetti, there's saw dust on my sweater already.
    - Since a lot of the shape comes from contour putty, I didn't need to cut/sand some areas yet such as the chestplate.
    - The hair is going to be the hardest part to deal with, because I'll have to carve out a lot of the cockpit to let it fit inside.
    - Sword is DEFINITELY not as long as I'd like it to be. Contemplating extending it. Might be fine though, haven't quite decided yet.

- Week 2 -
    *Week 2 Images in post below*
    This is the starting point for contour putty on the figure. It'll be applied in a LOT of other places as well, so I had to divide this into two phases. This first phase are all on keypoints that I'll need to be able to put my hand on to finish the rest, so it needed to sit&cure&harden for a few days before I worked on any further.
    These sections aren't finalized either, but they're sturdy enough now to do the rest of the figure.
    I'm planning to have all the contour putty done in the next 3 days, meaning I'll probably be posting pictures of its final appearance before paint next monday(or tuesday).

See you next week.

- Week 3 -
    *Week 3 Images in post below*
    - This is the final application of Contour Putty before I start painting.
    - Every contour putty'd area in week 2 had more added to it except the skirt. The feet may not be that noticable, but they are much more boot-like and more weighted for balance.
    - Still 100% transformable without any issues. The jet cavity had to be melted out to give the proper room without creating a hollow void space. Likewise the jet's pivot joint was sanded down heavily so that you don't have to grind the plastic to align the cockpit correctly.
    - Some areas still look rough (upper lip), but that's to give me something to cut off while painting. The lips should be as smooth as the cheekbones when finished.
    Remember, it is easier to remove something than it is to add it back.
    - The shirt may have a somewhat baggy look to it, moreso than actual Ike. This is so that the skirt flaps can still go almost fully up for poses&transformation. To be fair, the skirt can no longer go 100% vertical and instead stops at around 85% vertical.
    - Because of the left shoulder plate, I couldn't give the left shoulder the same muscle treatment as the right side, but...I mean...That's why the plate is there.
    - No, I did not forget Ike's bandanna. That comes later.

I now begin hand painting the entire thing. Assuming all goes well, this custom will be done by next week.

- Week 4+5 -
    - And here we are. Finished at last.
    - Fully painted all of the figure.
    - Glued a twist-tie bandana to the back of the figure covering the ear cavity and maintaining posability without just using ribbons.
    - Of note is that the leg band, Leg/LeftArm armor and the bandanna all have a black outline to make them stand out more, as do the armbands and the figure's eyes. The hair also received black/grey highlights before the blue coat to make it look more shaded&natural.
    - Re-sculpted the face until I was satisfied.
    - Since I didn't have anything to extend the sword, I decided to just create a flame effect to attach to the sword's handle instead. Using one of the "BAF Ares" swords from the DC Multiverse, I cut the sword out of the flame by hand and then attached trimmed off parts to create a handle extension attached to clear plastic peghole from an Energon Hotshot's gun. The entire thing was then blackwashed with red paint by hand(paint+wipeoff) to get the proper color and blend it with the attached port.
    - I will admit the plane mode did not get much effort, I tried to add SOME gold to the cockpit&spine so that it wasn't just 100% red blob...But it's still a big red blob.
    - I literally have spent the last week waking up each day to take pictures of this thing and then being like "but I could do THAT part better...I'll take pictures tomorrow after I fix that". I had to stop for my own sanity's sake, so you probably think this looks way better than I do.

DSCN0449.JPG
    DSCN0451.JPG DSCN0452.JPG DSCN0453.JPG DSCN0454.JPG DSCN0455.JPG DSCN0456.JPG DSCN0457.JPG DSCN0458.JPG DSCN0460.JPG DSCN0461.JPG DSCN0462.JPG DSCN0463.JPG DSCN0464.JPG DSCN0465.JPG DSCN0466.JPG DSCN0469.JPG DSCN0471.JPG DSCN0472.JPG DSCN0473.JPG DSCN0474.JPG DSCN0476.JPG DSCN0478.JPG DSCN0479.JPG DSCN0480.JPG DSCN0481.JPG DSCN0482.JPG DSCN0483.JPG DSCN0485.JPG DSCN0486.JPG DSCN0487.JPG DSCN0488.JPG DSCN0500.JPG DSCN0501.JPG DSCN0502.JPG DSCN0503.JPG DSCN0504.JPG DSCN0506.JPG DSCN0507.JPG DSCN0508.JPG DSCN0510.JPG DSCN0511.JPG DSCN0512.JPG

This was...Both fun and completely nightmarish.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 24
  2. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Please, for the love of my avatar, somehow make a matrix of smash!!

Also, can't wait to see this done!
    *Grabs popcorn*

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lukelbs

Lukelbs Well-Known Member

Looks good so far. It is an interesting idea, I'm looking forward to seeing how it will look.

"You only get one shot, do not miss you chance..."

• Like Like x 6
  4. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

P R E P A R E Y O U R S E L F

• Like Like x 6
  5. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    This is the greatest wierd thing I’ve seen this week. I’m fascinated as to how this goes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime Active now and then

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Dayum

• Like Like x 1
  7. DJsCustoms

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    - Week 2 -
    DSCN0360.JPG DSCN0361.JPG
    This is the starting point for contour putty on the figure. It'll be applied in a LOT of other places as well, so I had to divide this into two phases. This first phase are all on keypoints that I'll need to be able to put my hand on to finish the rest, so it needed to sit&cure&harden for a few days before I worked on any further.
    These sections aren't finalized either, but they're sturdy enough now to do the rest of the figure.
    I'm planning to have all the contour putty done in the next 3 days, meaning I'll probably be posting pictures of its final appearance before paint next monday(or tuesday).

See you next week.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Progress! Nice progress!

9. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime Active now and then

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nice! Just gotta wait another week :( 

10. Sidewings

Sidewings Victim Of Boredom 2

So, is he fighting for his friends or for himself?

• Like Like x 3
  11. LeonSteamhawk

LeonSteamhawk Micromaster

This is crazy, can't wait to see how it turns out! :) 

• Like Like x 2
  12. MachiniPrimus

MachiniPrimus Well-Known Member

Now this makes me want to see a repaint of TLK Voyager Megatron as Ocarina of Time Ganondorf.

• Like Like x 5
  13. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    Will he still fight for his friends?

• Like Like x 6
  14. DJsCustoms

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    - Week 3 -
    DSCN0362.JPG DSCN0363.JPG DSCN0365.JPG DSCN0366.JPG DSCN0367.JPG DSCN0368.JPG DSCN0369.JPG DSCN0370.JPG DSCN0371.JPG DSCN0372.JPG
    - This is the final application of Contour Putty before I start painting.
    - Every contour putty'd area in week 2 had more added to it except the skirt. The feet may not be that noticable, but they are much more boot-like and more weighted for balance.
    - Still 100% transformable without any issues. The jet cavity had to be melted out to give the proper room without creating a hollow void space. Likewise the jet's pivot joint was sanded down heavily so that you don't have to grind the plastic to align the cockpit correctly.
    - Some areas still look rough (upper lip), but that's to give me something to cut off while painting. The lips should be as smooth as the cheekbones when finished.
    Remember, it is easier to remove something than it is to add it back.
    - The shirt may have a somewhat baggy look to it, moreso than actual Ike. This is so that the skirt flaps can still go almost fully up for poses&transformation. To be fair, the skirt can no longer go 100% vertical and instead stops at around 85% vertical.
    - Because of the left shoulder plate, I couldn't give the left shoulder the same muscle treatment as the right side, but...I mean...That's why the plate is there.
    - No, I did not forget Ike's bandanna. That comes later.

I now begin hand painting the entire thing. Assuming all goes well, this custom will be done by next week.

PREPARE YOURSELF

• Like Like x 10
  15. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    Weird but I like it:lol 

• Like Like x 2
  16. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

I am gonna prepare myself when it is finished.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    This is some serious black magic right here

• Like Like x 2
  18. DJsCustoms

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    - Week 4+5 -
    - And here we are. Finished at last.
    - Fully painted all of the figure.
    - Glued a twist-tie bandana to the back of the figure covering the ear cavity and maintaining posability without just using ribbons.
    - Of note is that the leg band, Leg/LeftArm armor and the bandanna all have a black outline to make them stand out more, as do the armbands and the figure's eyes. The hair also received black/grey highlights before the blue coat to make it look more shaded&natural.
    - Re-sculpted the face until I was satisfied.
    - Since I didn't have anything to extend the sword, I decided to just create a flame effect to attach to the sword's handle instead. Using one of the "BAF Ares" swords from the DC Multiverse, I cut the sword out of the flame by hand and then attached trimmed off parts to create a handle extension attached to clear plastic peghole from an Energon Hotshot's gun. The entire thing was then blackwashed with red paint by hand(paint+wipeoff) to get the proper color and blend it with the attached port.
    - I will admit the plane mode did not get much effort, I tried to add SOME gold to the cockpit&spine so that it wasn't just 100% red blob...But it's still a big red blob.
    - I literally have spent the last week waking up each day to take pictures of this thing and then being like "but I could do THAT part better...I'll take pictures tomorrow after I fix that". I had to stop for my own sanity's sake, so you probably think this looks way better than I do.

DSCN0449.JPG

DSCN0451.JPG DSCN0452.JPG DSCN0453.JPG DSCN0454.JPG DSCN0455.JPG DSCN0456.JPG DSCN0457.JPG DSCN0458.JPG DSCN0460.JPG DSCN0461.JPG DSCN0462.JPG DSCN0463.JPG DSCN0464.JPG DSCN0465.JPG DSCN0466.JPG DSCN0469.JPG DSCN0471.JPG DSCN0472.JPG DSCN0473.JPG DSCN0474.JPG DSCN0476.JPG DSCN0478.JPG DSCN0479.JPG DSCN0480.JPG DSCN0481.JPG DSCN0482.JPG DSCN0483.JPG DSCN0485.JPG DSCN0486.JPG DSCN0487.JPG DSCN0488.JPG DSCN0500.JPG DSCN0501.JPG DSCN0502.JPG DSCN0503.JPG DSCN0504.JPG DSCN0506.JPG DSCN0507.JPG DSCN0508.JPG DSCN0510.JPG DSCN0511.JPG DSCN0512.JPG

• Like Like x 12
  19. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

20. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    That’s amazing!