TLK ending vs ending of Transformers Prime episode "Deadlock"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cryptwire, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    So I guess just my $0.02 specially considering that TLK borrowed some elements from Transformers Prime and why the latter is a superior story specially considering this episode is basically the conclusion of Transformers Prime before Predacons Rising vis-a-vis TLK as TLK is setting up this movie before the ultimate encounter with Unicron and the end of the Bay series but as we know that's now up in the air with the box office failure of TLK.

Also, I just saw that "Deadlock" episode this morning (for the umpteenth time) as Discovery Kids network re-run and so I can't help but compare and contrast the two.

I guess we're already familiar with TLK's BvS-esque ending with Optimus getting back to his senses after the usual big and loud apocalyptic Bay-trademarked battle with huge explosions.

Overall, you end up leaving disappointed not just because of that part but also when you consider the whole structure of the movie's story-telling. And, yeah, Cybertron still did not rip apart Earth's gravity, so there's that...

Now compare TLK with the ending of Transformers Prime episode Deadlock where it's the eventful battle before it gets to the ultimate confrontation with Unicron in Predacons Rising. The Deadlock ending also lends itself to some sentimental twist specially when you see Bumblebee take a hit from Megatron's fusion cannon before it cuts to commercial. When I saw this the first time, it was sad, compounded by Brian Tyler's great score, thinking that Bumblebee just got killed off.

But, god, TF Prime was a more pleasant and satisfying ending of the "Deadlock" episode. Good battle where you know and see what everybody is doing. Each character had a purpose. The main major characters were still alive to be in this crucial battle so you know the stakes were really important and it's more satisfying to see all of them compared to TLKs when you realize the major characters from the previous movies were killed off and in many ways, makes the battle boring and anti-climactic.

Soundwave, a major character fans love, instead of killing him off got sent to the shadow zone but at least we get to see his glorious self. Megatron's ending was meaningful and he has not used up his re-spawns obscenely unlike Bay's movies where he was already dead in part 1, came back in part 2, was killed again in part 3 only to be brought back as galvatron in part 4 then becoming Megatron again without rhyme or explanation in TLK.

In TF Prime Megatron eventually comes back under the control of Unicron, again, making more sense since Megatron has elements of dark energon within him.

How Bumblebee's voice gets restored makes a whole lot more sense too than the one in TLK.

That's what I'm talking about when I mention Transformers Prime has a more fleshed out story than Bay's live action series and has a more superior and relatively, smooth-flowing plot.

And I'll always reiterate that if Transformers Prime had been the live-action movies, it would've been received more positively critically and imho, because of good word of mouth, would've continued its box office success until that series wrapped up. Anthony Hopkins could've been used to voice a major meaningful Transformers character instead of the character we got in TLK.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime4ever Movie4never

• Like Like x 2
  3. francesco92

francesco92 Well-Known Member

I remember when they spread rumors that the Omega Lock was hided under Stonehenge and that Excalibur was the Omega Key to unlock it. I still wish they went that way. It would have works so much better.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    I remember those rumors as well that's why I thought TLK would take a significant page from Transformers Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

I was just left to assume that the ship was the Omega Lock. Though they never called the ship that, just the "knight ship." But then again, the movie didn't clarify a lot of details. So I'm just going ahead and assume the ship was the Omega Lock since it was required for that whole "draining Unicron's spark" thing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. francesco92

francesco92 Well-Known Member

It still did. Just not in the right way.

When I saw the trailer I thought the same.

• Like Like x 1