TLK Deluxe wave 2 spotted at Target in VA

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Daimao, May 11, 2017.

1. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wherever toys are sold™.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ultramagnus80

ultramagnus80 Well-Known Member

$20 for a deluxe Transformer at retail is just insane. And I thought TRU was just being their usual markup selves when I first saw this. But then I saw it at Meijer for the same.

Hasbro has set themselves up for failure with this price point. However, if they test the waters with this price point and I am wrong, then get ready for $20 deluxes in the Generations line very soon.

Which is a complete joke. And I can see people saying, \"well, its cheaper than the 3pt stuff\" as an excuse for plunking down over twenty one dollars. Never once questioning why Hasbro has allowed the 3pt companies to exist, even appearing at conventions together. I never understood why they didn\'t send their army of lawyers out to take these people down years ago. And now, I think I do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ultramagnus80

The first Transformer I remember seeing at retail when I started getting into transformers when I was about 28, in 2008, less than 9 years ago, was a Universe Ratchet. The deluxe then had about 2x the plastic than now, better constructed with no cutouts in the arms, legs, body, head (a way Hasbro accountants came up to save resin and charge more $$$ about six years back), and it was $8.99 plus tax. And now this, only nine years later.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Prime135

Prime135 "Boldly we go"

News Credits:
    At that point in time a deluxe was going for $11.99-$12.99 USD, so you must have found one on sale...

BTW, if you're in the US, these are $15.98 at Walmart. Also, the new molds at least seem to be selling pretty well, bumblebee and alash are shelfwarming as expected, but even grimlock can be hard to find depending on location.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ultramagnus80

Nah, this was at Walmart for regular price. Right before the ROTF line was to be released, I think. I know Walmart lowers their prices for movie lines, at least they used to, as I remember that ROTF deluxes were either 9.99 or 10.99, but this was G1 Universe. And the price doesn't touch the lackluster quality of today's deluxe compared to the pure weight of a deluxe before 2011, when Hasbro went all cheap with the cutouts and the like. They are more like cardboard cutouts now, where if you look behind them, you can see the most awful excuse for a design. I remember FOC Onslaught and being so disappointed with the way it looked from behind, like a complete moron constructed it. And it weighted about 4oz too. You can really see the change in the aligned line. When comparing WFC Megatron, Optimus, BB, Cliffjumper, and Soundwave to ANY of the other WFC/FOC figures that came after them, you can tell easily. Take a WFC Megatron and stand it next to a WFC/FOC Shockwave. Hold them in your hands. Its bullshit, for lack of better words.

They will initially, to the adult collectors who spend the money for the aforementioned reason. However, that price point is what I would expect. $16 is ok, I guess. And that would be the reason why your Walmart is selling well. Everyone else but them seems to be a different story. They were all shelf warming when I saw them at Target, Meijer, and TRU.

I have not been to Walmart for a while as I hate that place, but every other retailer I spotted them at were $20.

Conversely, the Tiny Turbo Transformers line was a great idea. My sons love those things and I am hoping they keep them for other lines going forward. THAT was a good idea for $3 a pop. $20 deluxes that are a shadow of their former selves are not.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Nah,.,hastak doesn't own a monopoly on shit that transforms. 3p do a good job tweaking the designs and not using copyrighted names.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ultramagnus80

They own the characters that these people are ripping off. Everyone knows it, and any lawyer could prove it easy. Changing a Transformer name to some like sounding silliness does not save them from copyright violation. The characters are the same in every aspect, except the stupid name.

No, I think they ALLOW it, because now when they charge you $20 for a Transformer you used to pay $10 for about 8 years ago, they can hope you will plunk it down because you will tell yourself it is cheaper than the 3pt offering. I have seen people on these threads say those very words, when Deluxes had their last price increase, and they could now buy a whole line of Headmasters that used to only eixst in the 3pt realm. Combiners too! Hell, just look at what the 3pt people are pushing now. A shit ton of G1-like Dinobots. So, I assume that a few years down the road, if that, Hasbro will be selling voyager Generations Dinobots for $30 a pop, which they have not done yet, and people will eat them up, "because at least it is not $60-$100 like the 3pt".

• Like Like x 1
  8. Prime135

Prime135 "Boldly we go"

News Credits:
    The first TF price hikes were back in cybertron, deluxes were bumped to $11.99, scouts to $7.99 and so on an so forth. I can remember having discussions with my parents about having to cut down if the price increase continued. By the time ROTF roles around deluxes were $12.99.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Kinda funny. In Vegas it was slightly different. I remember the deluxes always being $9.99, and at 2009's Botcon they announced the lines would be going to $13. They did, for a couple months. Target and Walmart quickly artificially dropped the price back down to $9.99. It was about 2011 they went up to $11, and in 2012 that they went $11.99, $12.49, and finally up to the $13 of before. After that, they jumped up to $15 and have since fluctuated between there and $15.99.

They have jumped to the $20 at Target out here, but still under $16 at Walmart. Considering their size and quality haven't changed, they aren't worth the $20 to me at all. I haven't gotten one yet, as they all just look too small, simple, or boring. Or they're repaints. I want to see what else the line will offer, and I could still pick up a deluxe if I like what I see, but none so far.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Prime135

Prime135 "Boldly we go"

News Credits:
    You're seriousely missing out with berserker and barricade, those are two great little figures. Barricade is very simple transformation wise, but he absolutely exudes character. Berserker is basically just crankcase from DOTM (just based on the final CGI model rather than concept art), but his transformation really is something to behold if you appreciate complex engineering. I believe I said it in my review for barricade, but the new molds for this line, while being around the same level of complexity and quality as AOE (slightly better paint as well), seem to have a level of passion and fun baked into their designs that I haven't seen in a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I should mention I had a chance to play with Barricade. He's...okay. They're just too small and hollow for me at this point. For Berserker, I have Crank Case, so I don't know if an improvement for that character would matter much for me (and I always felt that guy should have been a Voyager considering the SUV mode). Thanks for sharing, though. Glad you find them enjoyable. Hoping I find one that hits me like that down the road, and that Hasbro doesn't skimp on this movie line the way they did with AOE.

Though I will add, I'm excited for Megatron. I just want to figure out whether I'm getting the voyager or leader class version of him (only choosing one).

12. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if these are designed and sculpted any better than the AOE ones (which actually have excellent sculpts hidden under terrible color selections)- but the plastic color and paint selections is certainly a lot less bad than last time. (not sure if I'd go as far as calling it good, but it was horrendous last time)

13. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

You would be surprised. Copyright is a complex issue and judges have gone both ways. I think they don't see them as a threat because they are fulfilling a hardcore niche market that hastak can't profit off of.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ultramagnus80

It might have been. Hasbro has this "official" MSRP they post in their archives, but retailers never seemed to adhere to them, except TRU, which I like to refer to as "markup land". Now, its different, save Walmart, who is known for their cut throat, monopolistic type business tactics. I am sure they undercut the others with Hasbro in tow. Because that is the kind of shit they do. I remember doing a study in college about business ethics and Walmart was our example of a company who, even though have been successful, have done so at the expense of their mid and small level vendors. Sometimes even putting them pout of business with their margin requirements. But, some do because they want that giant retail hook, and that is a killer. Not that I feel sorry for them, they let greed get to them.
    However, the price point is really second to what you are getting for that price point. And the fact that they could make these just as weighty and have the advantage of the advancements in laser cutting molds, which is really the only thing that the new ones can trump over the ones a decade ago. Universe line was cool, but Titans. Nice sculpts. And they are getting better. The new stuff from Last Knight is awesome looking. But the price and cheap cost saving tactics that they refuse to let go of might be killing sales. Thus might very well be the reason that every movie line has been scaled down by number of waves and figures since ROTF.

And this does not even touch the fact that ten years ago NONE was using repo plastic pellets to create product in the plastic injection molding industry. When the bottom fell out of the oil market in 2010 or so, they were paying 3x as much as they used to for the resin. So, to save cash, they literally buy scrap resin, like the elastic ends of diapers and plastic lids off of products like Pringles, to blend in with the prime resin to make it cheaper. However, this stuff degrades much faster over time than regular plastic. Now, I can tell you with the new stuff that when you see a clear plastic part, like a windshield, that is PURE prime resin. Because you cannot do clear with repro.This has been the case since the end of the Universe line. Generations brought the "new and improved" mold specs for classes, which to this day still includes this repro.

This current cheapness has no excuse as resin is pretty cheap nowadays compared to the prices over the 2010-2014 time period. And this $20 junk is just another slap in the face to someone who knows better.

15. ultramagnus80

Have you seen the price of a 3pt figure, like the Warbot Springer they had a few years ago, before and AFTER Hasbro releases their version? That "niche" market dissolves like tissue in the rain the moment Hasbro announces their version.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ultramagnus80

Another thing that really irked me that I forgot to mention before with this new line was the total and blatant reuse of prior molds from AOE, adding even more fuel to the fire. I remember a few weeks back at Target, looking a Last Knight Legends with total disgust at the 8.99 price tag, which has almost doubled as well, and then realizing that the Legends, or Legions now....dumb name, BB and Prime that I had before me where the EXACT same molds from AOE. I really started to wonder if Hasbro didn't just repaint their overstock from the last line.

I'm sorry man, this is insane. The ONLY TF's worth their money in my opinion at this point are the One Steps, because my kids like them, and the Turbo changers I mentioned before. Those are actually pretty cool for money. NOw, if you REALLY like the character and they have done it yet, like a Classics voyager Shockwave, then that might be worth $30 bucks. Thing is, they stick it with a wave mate that is just awful and then you get stuck paying much more than the $30.

Now, for most people who are collectors, its like being hooked on a drug to which the dealer keeps jacking up the price just because. I hope some of you realize that its not worth it, and if people did take a stand, they would lower that profit margin just a bit and stop trying to rip us off. Thankfully, there isn't much left for them to make at this point that hasn't been released for the CHUG type fan. Still need a Voyager Shockwave, Dinobots, Beachcomber, which I am ACTIVELY promoting (I'm talking to YOU Hasbro) in my sig, and Reflector. Maybe I am missing somebody?

After that, not sure what Hasbro is going to release? Maybe if they keep making a crappy mold first, like with Blitzwing, they can resell you a better one a few years down the road. Personally hoping for a better Skylynx that actually becomes Lynx, you know Hasbro, like in the name? And one without the most moronically designed back feet I have ever seen on a four legged Transformer.

17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Actually, TLK Legion Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are the ROTF Legends Optimus Prime and DOTM Legion Bumblebee sculpts that were previously redecoed for AOE.

In fact, AOE Legion Optimus Prime is slightly retooled: His wheels are now the clip-on variety, rather than being attached via pins like all prior versions.

18. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Barricade and berserker "great"? Not even close. And for $20... they don't even come close to being worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I like both of them better than anything TR has given us, honestly. Although I did only pay fifteen for 'em.

20. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They're good $12-15 figures, but not $20. Once they inevitably hit Five Below, give them a shot.

You should post this in the Unpopular Toy Opinions thread.
    Honestly, I've always liked movie designs and many of the past figures are in my perma-collection, but so far, the TLK line is very underwhelming. I have Barricade (gave it to my girlfriend), Berserker (hate the transformation), and returned Optimus because I felt it wasn't worth keeping.
    I really hope both Megatrons, Scorn and the dragons are better. So far, the reviews of both Megatrons are positive, but Steelbane is weak.

• Like Like x 1