TLK Deluxe-Class Megatron (Mission to Cybertron)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starscream Gaga, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Mission to Cybertron Megatron

Just a quick one because I imagine this is a mold that many people already own, but Australian Toys R Us have gotten in all of their store-exclusive "Mission to Cybertron" The Last Knight toys and with them comes one I was particularly interested in: TLK Deluxe-Class Megatron!

[​IMG]

This particular release is a retool of the "Thrilling 30" Deluxe-class Megatron that was released in the Generations line back in 2014, giving it a new head and deco in order to make it into the version of Megatron featured in the upcoming Last Knight movie. I've always liked this mold, although it's admittedly a little short. It has that sweet-spot wherein the Transformation is not too difficult and yet not overly simplistic, as well as having fairly good articulation and nice-looking robot and vehicle modes. This gimmick (if you can call it that) of these exclusives are the Cybertron writing on the code. Go to the official website and there's a Cybertronian alphabet in order to translate the writing. The word on this figures cannon is simply "Megatron"... so not the most thrilling stuff.

[​IMG]

The most noteworthy thing about this toy is, of course, the new head! I've gotta say that I absolutely love the look of this new head. When pictures of this toy were first leaked they weren't quite clear and I assumed that this toy would just have a scaled-down version of the Voyager-class toy's head... but this is not the case! The toy actually has a G1-ified version of Movie Megatron's head! Personally, I think this is really, really cool. It's not the first time someone's done this, previously Arms Micron Breakdown was retooled in the 2015 Botcon set as a G1-ish DOTM Megatron (which I'm still hunting down) but it's definitely the easiest one to get your hands on and the only version depicting this new design that Megatron's sporting in the new movie.

[​IMG]

Of course being a retool of the T30 Megatron means that, unlike in the movie and other toys, this Megatron turns into a Stealth-fighter rather than an alien jet. Oddly enough, the way the head is not in the movie-style kind of makes this feel better to me: it's a G1 version of Movie Megatron so he has a similar-but-different-alt mode. As with the T30 toy, I like this vehicle mode. It looks good and is appropriately aggressive for the character. Strangely, the wings/fusion cannon are a slightly different shade to the rest of the toy. I'm not sure if this was an intentional stylistic choice or the result of them being made from painted translucent orange plastic.

[​IMG]

This mold has seen a lot of use. Originally based on Don Figueroa's design that was used in IDW's Revenge of the Decepticons and Chaos story-arcs, it was one of the first true IDW toys to be released. It has flaws, particularly in the size department (mention of just how huge the body is was made by characters in the comics) but it's still a pretty good toy. Since it's release it has been given a fantastic, more comic-book accurate deco by Takara, a rather weird Calvin Johnson deco that was released with a pair of shoes, a retool as the G2 character Dreadwing and as a TFCC-exclusive retool as Krok. Even though I still thing Takara's original release is the king of the mold, this release, with its dark greys and bright golds stands pretty well with the rest.

[​IMG]

So, is this toy worth picking up? I think so. If you've never owned a version of this mold before it's definitely one worth adding to your collection. As a movie fan, it's a popular character in a size-class he's never been in before. As a Classics fan, his G1-esque head mold means he'll fit into a collection, perhaps as a universe crossing version of his movie-self. As a Megatron collector it's a quirky and unique toy to add to the shelves. If nothing else, at least you'll finally have a Deluxe-class Megatron to face off against that Deluxe-class Optimus that Hasbro has re-released for every movie since DOTM.

[​IMG]

...Or is he perhaps a bit too short for that?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  2. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    I have to wonder: what does Don Figueroa have to say about his design being used to represent a Movie character?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Considering the tantrum he threw when the design was made into a toy in the first place, probably nothing positive.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's a really good figure to begin with, and this deco is pretty darn sharp. It's on my short list of figures to get from this movie line.

5. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that IS sharp.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks cool. Not as great as the original Takara one, but definitely sweet enough anyone who doesn't yet own a version should pick it up!

Great pictures, by the way!

7. steam235

steam235 Well-Known Member

Edit: nevermind read the actual article about the controversy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    Link?

9. steam235

steam235 Well-Known Member

At first I was like "He designed a transformer and then got mad that they made it into a toy?" but here's what TFwiki says about it.

Seibertron.com Energon Pub Forums • Don Figueroa Designed IDW's Stealth Bomber Megatron but Wasn't Compensated?

Stealth bomber Megatron controversy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The editor was a real piece of schmidt.
    • According to Don Figueroa via his now-defunct Deviant Art account, he designed the stealth bomber Megatron which appeared in IDW's The Transformers #13 comic. However, he originally designed it as part of a story pitch which editor Andy Schmidt rejected. Schmidt later told Figueroa he wanted the pitched concept and the two made plans to work out a deal at the Long Beach Comic-Con. Schmidt stood Figueroa up, not attending the Comic-Con, and then proceeded to use the pitched design in The Transformers #13 with no compensation to Figueroa whatsoever. When Figueroa heard about this, and that Hasbro would be turning the design into a toy (again, with no compensation or credit), Figueroa was less than thrilled.[4]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to this guy. He's like a movie G2 Megatron:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Wow, like you said that headsculpt is much cooler than what I'd expected.

12. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    I totally understand the importance of compensating artists, but even then, it still sounds like it was this Schmidt guys' fault for using it in a story, not Hasbro's for making it into a figure.

13. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Gotta say, the head looks a lot nicer than I was expecting

14. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I mean, TBF, at the time Figueroa was working as an artist for IDW and as such he did give them the design to use. The important part of the story that is left out there is that Figueroa was told it was being used in the comics (and even updated the design for that purpose) and the whole "being stood up when he wanted to pitch his story idea" was actually kind of irrelevant. While I can understand the true reason behind his complaining was most likely that he was still bitter about his pet-project not getting off the ground but the whole thing came across as really immature on his part. Emphasized by the fact that at the same time Roche was celebrating how amazing it was to have his designs (Springer and what we thought at the time would be MTMTE Whirl) being made into toys over on his social media... which really I kind of thought would be the ultimate goal when creating Transformers concept art.

15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    The head sculpt looks very nice as a G1 and movie fusion design. It makes me now want to see other non movie molds be used for other G1 and movie fusion toys like for example TLK Onslaught from RTS Grapple with a movie inspired head.

16. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Yea. I don't blame Figueroa for being upset.
    For some reason the figure looks good with the move head on it.

Ooh didn't know about this part. I always wondered why there were two different version of that design.

17. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Basically the timeline of events went like this:

1. Figueroa designs the stealth-bomber Megatron for use in his own story and gives the design to IDW. IDW rejects the story but keeps the design.
    2. Months later, Schmidt contacts Figueroa saying they want to use his design in the current comics. Figueroa updates the design for them and asks to pitch his story again.
    3. Schmidt never shows up at the convention where Figueroa wanted to pitch his story idea.
    4. Years later Hasbro announces that they're doing the T30 toy based on the design. Figueroa makes a DeviantArt post complaining that Hasbro didn't ask him for permission first.
    The last point seems pretty ridiculous to me on Figueroa's part.

18. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great review. I like this mold a lot, having four versions already. If I see it, I'm sure I won't be able to resist.

Any of these good old "generations" toys that get a movie redeco are awesome in my book. Praying for a Lugnut and Lockdown down the road!

19. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I missed out on this mold. This looks really nice. Hope I can find him.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The style match for the base mold and the character match for his TLK self make this a really interesting figure, and a good match for the Infernocons in the same promotion (who of course are partly Prime styled).