TJ needs help to pick out a Motorcycle.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Team Jetfire, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    That’s right, after 11 years with my wife, I have finally convinced her to 'let' me have a motorcycle. The problem is I'm not sure what to get.

I don't have too much cash so I will be buying used.

I don't want a crotch rocket either, so it should be a curser type.

I would love to get a bigger size, but as I am still learning, so I don't want anything too big.

I also need something to express how cool I am, so A Vespa is probably out of the question.

Hmm...Any suggestions?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Have you looked into a Triumph, Indian or an old BMW? I'm assuming you're about 20 years too young for a Harley.

3. DragoUnicron

DragoUnicron Dragon Master

Harley all the way!

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I really want a sport bike.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    As I am far too young and not bas ass enough I would likely stay away from the Harleys. (I have also heard that they has a terrible rep for breaking down)

I would love a Triumph or Indian, but again, the funds are not there to make that big of an investment.

I think I will be looking at a few 80s-90s Hondas or Suzuki’s.

Plus I gotta find a helmet that doesn't make me look like a tard.

6. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    This article has some great recommendations, as well as links to broaden your search. It's unfortunate, there was this terrific site for beginner riders when I was getting into it a couple years ago that seems to have disintegrated entirely.

If you decide you want to start off with a Kawasaki Super Sherpa, I'd planned on selling mine this year.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

8. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I too suggest looking at Indian Motorcycles. If the Chief is too big, then there's always the smaller Scout and Spirit models.

Were I to ever get a bike, it'd be an Indian Scout.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    :lol  at foster

Thanks Phy, that is a really great resource for newer riders and there are a few bikes that I am looking at that were mentioned as a good fit to learn on.

Could be something like this to start out:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

I would hate to spend a ton of money on something that I will likely drop :lol 

BTW Phy,

Riding in Calgary, Good / bad?

10. Phy

News Credits:
    Riding outside of Calgary: Pretty great, especially as you head west. That's part of why I want a bigger bike; mine's good offroad as well as on but it absolutely tops out at 120.

Riding in Calgary: It's what you make of it. You know what it's like to drive here; now imagine yourself basically invisible. What you look like to car drivers is a moving hole in traffic, begging to be filled, so you've got to ride as defensively as you've ever driven. Plus, where gravel and slippery patches are a nuisance in a car, they can send you into the pavement on a bike. It's a challenge, but it's not insurmountable, and tearing down the Deerfoot or that big hill down Sarcee can be hell of fun.

If you keep your head on a swivel and ride proactively, you'll greatly cut down on your chances of getting into trouble. I really, really recommend taking an instruction course if you haven't already. They run about $300-400, and you'll see a lower insurance rate once you have your ride. Too Cool Motorcycle School has always come highly recommended. I took mine through Easy Riders. They actually used bikes a lot like that first picture you posted but I don't know if they're still around.

11. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Sorry I cannot help you with a bike (cruiser form). I'm only good with sportbikes. But make sure to be safe and get proper gear.

Also look into the MSF course.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Thanks again for the info Phy.

My dad use to teach the safety course and I will be doing a lot of riding with him to start out so I will have a really good understanding of the safety aspect.

And I do live off of Deerfoot and will be doing a lot of riding on it, so I will wait to drive to work until I am more confident.

What size was the Kawasaki?

13. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

14. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Im more of a chopper person myself, but If you wanted bang for your buck....try to find an indian, they are b-e-a-utiful

15. Phy

News Credits:
    It's a 250cc single cylinder. About 27 horse. If you mean physical size, it's dirtbikish but a little lower.

[​IMG]

Get what you want to ride. If you're going to be hitting the Foot a lot to start with, or you don't like the look of a spidery bike like mine, maybe do a cruiser with more grunt. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Suzuki S40/Savage 650 for a beginner's cruiser, and was gearing myself up to get one before my Sherpa came along.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i havent looked at the market recently so i may be a bit behind on times. my suggestions here based on your requirements are mostly mid range in price and power, good for both daily use/long rides, a bit conservative on style so its not too intimidating:

zephyrs by kawasaki - its not a crotch rocket but got a bit of power (thats one thing you can count on kawas), never rode one myself, but looking at fellow riders, looks like a fun ride.

seca /seca II by yamaha - i hate the old FZRs (shitty frame and handling) but this light tourer is sumin special, from my own experience at least. not powerful but still zippy and excellent suspension. i had a pillion sleep on me on a 300km ride, fucker.

cbr600 (non RR version) by honda - honda has their own street bikes and a light tourer (the VFs) but cbr's are so well rounded so you wont feel the grind. extremely zippy, great mid range and prolly the fastest to acclimate amongst its type.

harley sportsters should come in cheap for you guys too but i dunno abt the maintenance.

any other queries on bikes ive rode as follows:
    - honda cbr600 f2 - sports
    - yamaha virago 750, 1100 - cruisers
    - honda shadow 600 - cruiser
    - yamaha vmax 1200 (fricken awsum) - street/muscle
    - yamaha diversion/seca 600 (i think) - street/tourer
    - yamaha fzr750 - sports

i recommend only 600cc and above, im biased that way :D 

17. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

[​IMG]

18. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

Ok, I give up.... where the hell is the fuel tank?

Also, roasted nuts?

19. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

It is fueled by bad attitude.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    maybe its pedal powered?