titles question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rumble02, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

ok so i know Optimus Prime is named Optimus and Prime is his title, like vector prime, rodimus prime, and sentinal Prime. But does this fit anywhere else, for instance is Ultra Magnus, Magnus with the title of Ultra to show leadership or accomplishment or is his name just Ultra Magnus? let me know

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Some people who subscribe to the idea that Ultra Magnus, as with the toy, is wearing a large suit of powered armor view the regular robot as just "Magnus" and the suited-up version as "Ultra Magnus". That would be like Optimus Prime + armor = Super Optimus Prime. I have no idea how official or unofficial that is, but the several white Optimus Prime repaints with no armor named "Ultra Magnus" would seem to contradict the idea.

Optimus Prime sometimes addresses Ultra Magnus simply as "Magnus", implying familiarity. I think Autobots of lower rank seem to address him as "Ultra Magnus" much more often.

In Car Robots, Fire Convoy's brother is "God Magnus" instead of "Ultra Magnus".

I think all of the above implies that "Ultra" is a title of some kind. What it means, I have no clue.

3. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

I really don't think it has anything to do with his leadership position in the Autobot Ranks. The only ones that have the Prime title are the ones that were the leaders of all the Autobots, ( and i suppose transformed by the Matrix). Magnus could fit in that field according to the movie, but he wasn't affected by the Matrix, thus....

could make an interesting fan fic though

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting. I was thinking along the same lines but then stopped when I got to Magnus, since he was never Magnus Prime or anything I was kind of thinking that the Matrix "makes" you Prime as well.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I was under the assumption that a Prime is someone who had a Matrix Affinity. Like in the Marvel Comics when the Matrix announces "we are Prima, we are Prime Nova," etc etc. Interestingly, Thunderwing had the affinity but never took the Prime title (nor was he addressed as such by the Matrix)

6. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I always thought that Ultra Magnus reached his pinacle of greatness. My question is how they change form. Like when Hot Rod used the Matrix his body changed magically. But for other Autobots or Decepticons do they just get body upgrades? If so why not just make all Transformers big and strong?

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

From the time they're created? Maybe that's not a good idea. What if their personality isn't stable? What if that much power before they mature would warp their development. Ever seen Akira?

If TransFormers have to "grow" and prove themselves before they can become powerful, it's probably better for everyone.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Rodimus was "destined" to get bigger and stronger with the Matrix. I believe in some continuities he is considered the reincarnation of Primus.

9. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    There's a few references in the cartoon to Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime being the 'chosen one' that seems to imply some kind of mystical reason for him changing form when in possesion of the matrix, which is why no-one else does (at least not in the cartoon).

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With the exception of G1 Scourge.:wink:  Anyway. it appears 'chosen one' got "blown by the wayside" with TROOP. Hot Rod again became Rodimus Prime in Headmasters, but the Japanese are worried much less over titles, when characters like Fort Max, Chrome Dome, Star Saber etc, can be leaders without a Matrix. It would seem that a 'Prime' is only a Western concept. Most likely a "Convoy" is the Matrix holder in the Far East.

11. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Oh yeah, forgot about Scourge!
    Although it was less of an upgrade in his case wasn't it? More of a crazy mutation type effect?
    May have to watch that episode tonight.