Titans Return Trypticon Hip Issues

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Gamerlingual, Jul 5, 2017.

1. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    What is it, 4 screws and a snip on each hip and it's fixed? Not a deal breaker to me.

2. WildBill

WildBill Well-Flown Member

News Credits:
    Got my Trypticon yesterday and, after having the chance to transform it a couple of times, I get the feeling the hip's not meant to be a moving joint. I think the spring in there is more about support and stability more than anything else. I mean, it's weird to think that in this day and age there wouldn't be articulation, especially in something as basic as the legs, in a major release like this but I'm fairly confident this is the case.

I'm able to transformTrypticon in all three modes, and have done so multiple times with this particular thread in mind, with each mode matching the pictures on the box, without moving the hips at all. If you're happy with the mods you've done then all power to you, continue enjoying your Trypticon; if you're still intent on doing the mods then, again, have fun and enjoy! I only post this for the people nervous about doing the mods themselves and possibly missing out on this release because of it. I like it overall, at least I started to once all the decals were out of the way. My only real problem now is finding a place to display it...

Cheers everyone!

3. Esquilax79

Esquilax79 Decepticon Cassette

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's meant to move, spring just too tight. That's why there's the rounded "teeth" with spring tension so it can move and still lock into place and stay that way. Lots of TFs are done that way. Just reducing the tension on the spring (cutting in half) makes it a nice, stable, leg joint.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Esquilax79

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Anyhoooo.... at SDCC, it was announced, "Hasbro aware of Trypticon hip issue, seems isolated, engineering looking into it"
    I'm fine with the fix and didn't report this to anyone. Is there an easy way to report this? I imagine with information on how to fix, most of their reports are from the early Australia release. It should at least be reported.

5. WildBill

WildBill Well-Flown Member

News Credits:
    fair enough

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    I asked this in an earlier post, but how many reports of actual breakage are there? I only know of the one, which is probably why they say it is "isolated."

7. Esquilax79

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Gotcha! Mine came "broken" As in.. one leg was so tight that it was unmovable. It's why I started searching for solutions because one moved and one didn't and I didn't want to break it.

Edit: Shared with BBTS (politely of course!) And they thanked me for letting them know and that they'd do what they could to let Hasbro know.

Pretty much the best I could hope for. More than anything, I don't want this thing to flop because of something like that, making Omega Supreme not happen, etc...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Well-Known Member

Got mine today. One leg is okay...the other I'm going to have to fix. I also had a problem getting the door that Full Tilt attaches on to stay closed. I noticed a tiny gap in the two halves that form the main torso close to his neck. If you open the left deck, there's a screw hole there. I held the halves together and tightened the screw, being careful not to strip it. The gap is closed and the door stays shut now. Now I have to fix that hip when I get more time.

9. Ronin35

Ronin35 Herald of Unicron

That door issue is hit or miss. My door was super tight to the point I had to get a tool to open it. It depends on how high the nubs are from the molding process that determines how well that door locks.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Is it not possible to just squish the spring and make it shorter?

When I got my CW Optimus with the loose hips, I just took him apart and pulled the springs to make them longer. It tightened his hips right up. Then when I got Motormaster, his springs felt too tight by comparison. I took them out and just squeezed really hard. They ended up a bit shorter and loosed up when reinstalled.

I may try this with Trypticon when I get him before I cut anything and I'll let you guys know how it works out.

11. geezerman402

geezerman402 Well-Known Member

I think with the size and strength of Tryp's hip springs, your squeeze solution would involve compreessing the springs in a bench vise for a few days...

12. SallyCips

SallyCips ULTRAZILLA!

Hey guys, trying to figure out if I have a broken one or not. What exactly is the result of the broken hip? On mine one hip doesn't want to stay locked in when opening to the wide stance, while the other clicks back and forth fine. Can't seem to find someone actually saying what the exact problem is anywhere. Thanks!

13. Mightion

Mightion There is ALWAYS room.

News Credits:
    My Trypticon's hips have stayed pristine, even after some SERIOUSLY loud "snaps" heard while transforming him. I've done nothing to the springs on mine - all I do is make sure the hip section is plugged in firmly in either the top or bottom positions so that the bulk of the toy helps "brace" the hips when I turn them, so the force is "spread out" rather than concentrated on the hip ratchets themselves, if the legs are loose and/or not locked in place.

But, I'm not a physics professor so I may have no idea what I'm talking about. All I know is the crosses were still pristine last I looked, and I haven't moved them since.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  14. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Just got my Trypticon today. No issues with the hips so far. A little tight but not so much you need a crow bar to move them. May do the fix as a precaution. Just move them slowly and make sure the swing arms are securely locked in whatever position your putting him in.

15. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Hi, could anybody tell me if the box for TR Trypticon is double-taped on both sides?

16. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The hips on mine move pretty well. They do make the clicking sound when you rotate them but there is not a lot of resistance. I have him in spaceship mode at the moment.

17. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Mine wasn't. Just one piece of tape on each end.

18. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did the fix before I even put the legs on after hearing about the problem. And just using common sense, I can tell you, it was 100% the right call.

It's not just that the cross-shaped piece on the hip is rather thin, flimsy and fragile for the bulk it is supporting. If it was just that, the toy probably would have been fine. It's that the springs they included are absolutely insane for a toy of this bulk. How insane? As an experiment I put several hardcover books that were of a weight far beyond what they they would ever support in Trypticon, plus gravity (since they books rested on them). And you know what? They barely compressed. They're that strong.

When it took them out, they exploded out of the plastic all over the room. It wasn't gentle. It was enough force it could have taken out somebody's eye.

Tryptionic barely needs a spring to make the hip joint ratchet work. What he got instead was something that belongs in a bed. A very firm bed.

I'm really convinced anyone not having problems will eventually. Maybe not right away, but after 20 transforms or so. Or after a couple of years when the plastic changes due to temperature/age and you forget about the hip issue existing.

Looking at it, I'm pretty convinced that a 3p could replace the entire hip joint assembly (only the leg part) very easily. But as is right now... no, it's not just some guy being ham-handed. It's a poorly designed part (that probably would have been okay) combined with a spring that never should have been in this toy.

In the mean time, all I did is open up the joint, take out the spring and put a piece of cardboard from the BBTS box between the teeth of the ratchet. It's good enough for now and he can stand just fine in a "dinosaur" pose (and better with spread legs). I did none of the greese or electrica tape stuff. I'm just gonna wait for 3P before I do anything more extensive.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    (Knock on wood). I have messed with my Trypticon for several days and his hips seem fine.

I did have the front door issue ..but followed @TheDoctor advice and tightened the screw ... door stays closed!

He is a fun figure... probably the best city bot of the 3

• Like Like x 1
  20. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unacceptable, particularly for a figure of 150.

Considering this issue, I'm not able to pay full price.

• Like Like x 1