Titans Return Titanmaster Fangry

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by payres, Dec 10, 2016.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Titans Returns Fangry

I've always felt that Fangry was the most popular of the 1988 Decepticon Headmasters amongst Transformer fans, although I personally thought Squeezeplay was a better toy! So it came as something of a surprise when Horri-bull and Squeezeplay were done in the first wave of Titanmasters and Fangry missed out till the third wave. But while their Titanmaster versions, Terri-bull & Crashbash, came packaged with accessories with no links to the original a bit more effort has been made with Fangry so maybe the wait was worth it.....

The Fangry Titanmaster figure uses similar colours to the original, a pinky purple and black, but doesn't quite get them in the right place. The original Headmaster had black legs and purple arms, body and head. The body is the same but everything else has been swapped round! A close look at the Titanmaster confirms it's identity even including the two slots on the face plate. His head mode meanwhile is pretty much spot on and here the choice of the black for the arms on the Titanmaster helps build a larger black head whereas the original configuration would have produced a purple stripe down each side.

Our first glimpse of Titanmaster Fangry at Cybertron Con 2016 wasn't that encouraging as it showed the big robot head looking out of the Fangry beast chest. Thankfully that was mis-transformed! The accessory comes in beast mode in the packaging with the Titanmaster figure. All it needs is to have the gun mode handle/second beast head folded up, and the wings folded forward to the sides, to reveal a space in it's back that the Titanmaster in head mode can be slid in with the rear of the head/Titanmaster's legs going in first. The legs fold down onto to pegs at the front of the toy and the wings & second beast head fold back all but covering the large head face from the rear.

The Fangry beast, once again a sort of upright wolf with bat wings, has been rendered almost perfectly but once again there's some colours that could have been changed. If they'd have gone with the original Headmaster's black legs the beast would now have a black chest. The now much larger wings are rendered in purple and they'd look better in black. His tail, previously his gun, is now a gun barrel for another mode. Arms move up & down independently while the legs are connected through the hips and move together.

Fangry has lost his larger robot mode but gained a second beast mode. Remove the Titanmaster head from the beast's chest and fold the wolf head into it. Fold the wings so they're straight out to the sides. Fold both arms and the legs forward 90°. Sit the Titanmaster figure so his feet are down the gap behind the beast head & in front of the wings.

This is the second dragon mode for a Titans Return Titanmaster and it works quite well. The handle sticking out the throat is odd but I suppose that could be a gun barrel as could the tail again.

For his weapons mode fold the Fangry beast head right the way back into the body, inserting the Titanmaster in dragon mode will have pushed it out a bit, the fold the dragon head back against it. Fold the wings down to the side. Turn the dragon over. Fold the dragon forelegs/Fangry beast arms back so they're either side of the handle. Fold the rear beast legs down beside the tail.

Like Crashbash's weapon mode Fangry also forms a triple barrelled weapons, with the tail forming one barrel and the Fangry Beast legs/dragon legs forming the other two barrels courtesy of holes moulded into the feet. It's quite a compact weapon and does the job. It would have made a nice pack in weapon for a Japanese Legends figure and in it's present colours would even have matched up well with LG-34 Wipe and allowed it to be eventually matched with the Fangry head.

Bar some minor gripes about colour placement on the Titanmaster and Fangry beast they've done a pretty good job here. He's the most similar to his 1988 counterpart than any of the five 1988 Headmasters done so far.

Future Repaints

I don't think we're quite done with versions of Fangry in Titans Return. I could easily see a remould of Twinferno, with a wolf head that splits in two down the middle to form arms replacing the two Dragon heads & arms, making a half decent deluxe Fangry.

Speaking of the Monsterbots ..... As well as Doublecross being done in Titans Return as the deluxe Twinferno, a new Titanmaster version of Repugnus was shown at New York Comic Con 2016, The leaves Grotusque who would be an easy remould of Fangry, just change the wolf head.

=-

No photos today, the batteries are dead in both cameras, can't find the charger and my hands are really wonky in the wet weather so the pictures wouldn't be that good anyway!

• Like Like x 2
  2. The Kup

The Kup Heavy Metal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Just got this guy on Wednesday and I love him. :) 

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Awesome !

I love the purple Decepticon insignia on his arm to complement his pink. I'll probably try out headmode on my Takara Mindwipe.

4. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do wish his second mode was a vehicle, like Apeface, instead of a dragon like Squeezeplay, but I love the winged fold mode, and the head is spot on.

5. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks awesome. Would have been cool if his arms and legs in 'wolf' mode were on balljoints though.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

• Like Like x 1
  7. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

I was curious enough to pick up one of these little guys, and decided on Fangry. I loved his look in the old comics by Wildman, plus he's among the Lost Light crew now, and his head has a better chance of matching other bots, with all that black. Also he seems to be the best based on reviews.

8. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Is it just me or is he a bit bigger than normal Titan Master Action Master accessories?

9. scamper

scamper Well-Known Member

don't have him in front of me, but he's about the same size as Apeface, I think...

10. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    I think these two look great together. It's like TR Mindwipe and Titanmasters Fangry were made for each other.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Picked up Fangry while I was out today. He's very cool and different from most of the Titan masters we've gotten so far, mostly in good ways. I may be doing it wrong, but the riding the Dragon doesn't seem very secure at all.

Like others, he looks really, really good on Mindwipe, so much so he managed to get Apeface to give it up. :p 

12. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The TM sits on top of the wings, and the wolf head goes all the way down and around the raised area on the back of the TM feet, securing the rider.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Thanks, that's the part I was missing. I had the right idea initially, but since I tried to attach after I had the TM seated, I wasn't getting a good connection at all. Connecting it to the head first, then seating him with the wings second, it is a fairly strong connection, fixing the only element I wasn't really happy with.

Fangry is lining up to be another head almost in the same category as Grimlock/Clobber in that he looks good on almost everyone.