Titans Return Soundwave with Soundblaster

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by BigTFTrev, Aug 22, 2016.

1. BigTFTrev

BigTFTrev Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Titans Return
    Size/class - Leader
    Approximate Size - 23cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-modes - Tape Deck/Base
    Main Features/Gimmicks - compatible with Titan Masters and Legends tapes
    Main Colours - Blue, Grey
    Main Accessories - Rifle, Shoulder Cannon, Soundblaster Titan Master

Robot Mode
    [​IMG]

It’s lucky that both Blaster and Soundwave are boxy characters, so with a simple palette swap, a new head and a shoulder cannon this does looks like Soundwave rather than a recoloured Blaster (which he is after all). The proportions are ok though I would have liked to see more articulation. Nothing beats a Soundwave that can actually bend his arm upwards and press his eject button (aka MP SW). His gun is from Blaster and for those in the know it looks nothing like Soundwaves regular firearm which is a bit disappointing, but I suppose even Transformers are allowed to change their armament every few million years.

Tape Deck Mode
    [​IMG]

The smartest thing they did here was to change the way the speakers look. It now looks like a tape deck from the early nineties rather than a proper Ghetto Blaster (all you kids born this century, you might have to do some research here to know what I am talking about). The mode looks better than I thought it would; it looks sleek and somber, just a shame there is the odd little gap here and there.

Base Mode
    [​IMG]

This mode suits Soundwave far more than Blaster (who I still maintain should have turned into a DJ booth with dance floor). The darker colour scheme works for the mode as well as the extra cannon. Overall better than I expected.

Transformation

No change from Blaster. If you haven’t converted Blaster know that this figure isn’t difficult for a leader class figure. There is no real challenge here, however transforming him for the first time you have to engage your brain to turn him in to what is a reasonably two dimensional alt-mode as the Tape Deck. Conversion to base mode is very straight forward.

Overall

Soundwave is one of two figures which can be said to be a crossover between Combiner Wars and Titans Return, given that CW Buzzsaw can be put into TR Soundwave in both Robot and Ghetto Blaster modes. Interestingly in the instructions it only mentions him being compatible with the upcoming Laserbeak and Ravage, most likely as these toys are to be released soon. The fact you can insert these smaller figures into him along with the Headmaster gimmick and he is a triple changer means there is a lot of playability with this figure. While certainly not the ultimate Soundwave toy, on the whole this one is pretty good and it’s nice to see Soundwave once again as a musical device rather than a van or truck.

For a more detailed review and more pics, PLEASE SEE MY SOUNDWAVE REVIEW ON MY BLOG HERE

• Like Like x 1
  2. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yay, someone has him in hand

The leg fronts have been changed as well, eliminating Blaster's fake speakers

3. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I don't suppose you could show us some pictures of Soundblaster. Mostly curious what his head mode looks like without the helmet.

4. BigTFTrev

BigTFTrev Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I put up some comparison pics between the two on my blog :) 

Doh - I didn't even think to take one of those pics! :eek:  It's a bit late here in Aus to go out to the shed and start snapping photos, but I'll try to do so tomorrow arvo. In the meantime here is a pic of him at least in robot mode riding in his little sled :) 

[​IMG]

5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Officially the first Soundwave figure I'll be skipping. I just can't find anything appealing about this release. From the Popeye forearms to the comically large face to the 'wrong' weapon, this just doesn't do anything for me. I wish it did, but I have the MP, so my large-scaled Soundwave need is covered.

• Like Like x 1
  6. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    You have all the other Soundwave figures ever released before this one? I've seen worse, like the Machine Wars version, or the BW one.

7. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    To clarify, though I didn't think it was necessary, I meant skipping at currently available retail. Many of the others I actively sought out after the fact, including the Machine Wars version (and I got the BW one at retail).

8. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good Only thing missing is blue paint on the sides of the tape deck door which is easily fixable. The hero masher soundwave head would look good and might be in scale for the body too, and it is fairly accurate and almost mp looking and would look good on this body.

9. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Looking good but he'll have to be a skip right now since I can't afford to get him, Blaster, or Prime.

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I bet you'll still buy one on sale later. :) 

11. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ill buy him...because I know I will own the new trypticon!

He looks decent. I really like blaster..im sure this one is built just as good.

12. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Looks much better than Blaster. I can't wait to turn him into his base mode and have the Decepticon HeadMasters/TitanMasters control it.

13. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm... really not impressed with this one, honestly. What works for Blaster doesn't seem to work nearly as well here.

For me, at least, my Reissue original Soundwave works pretty good on my Generations shelf. My first Titan Wars pass.

14. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *sigh* It sucks that yet again Hasbro doesn't give Soundwave his gun. Hopefully we can get a 2-pack from a Third Party, one color matched to FOC, one matched to this version. Still not sure how I feel about the huge visor, but I do like the Blaster mold, so I'll likely pick this up.

15. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    One thing I think should be mentioned is that the cannon/speaker stand that store in his chest in bot and boombox has a place to but the titanmaster when in boombox mode that is not mentioned in the instruction. You actually slide his headmaster in a compartment on the underside of it and it still slots in his chest perfectly.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Optibotimus showed that off in his review.

17. Spumoni Dingo

Spumoni Dingo GPN Official Spotter

News Credits:
    With the upcoming MP release, I'll be skipping this guy. Hopefully I can get him cheap someday, but for now I'll hold onto the cash I would have spent on him and use it for the MP.

18. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can anyone please post any comparison pics with other CHUG / CW figures? He looks like the perfect Classics style Soundwave except I'm worried he'll dwarf all of his teammates...

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Bwahahaha! Lothar Hex beat me to it but I came in here to post this...

The instructions don't mention it but TR Soundwave has Alt mode storage for Soundblaster! Flip his MP3 player thing over and there is a slot for Soundblaster! There are slots that go into Soundblasters legs and everything!

[​IMG]

Once secured the whole lot pops into Soundwave!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Ill have this bad boy Saturday.